And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on October 04, 2017, 11:32:50 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2017, 11:20:39 AM
No, ISIS is a classic terrorist organization.  They want to provoke the West into a disproportionate response, which while cause the Islamic world to rally behind ISIS and bring about the global caliphate.

If that is their goal, then I agree.
Short-to-mid term goal.

QuoteIf their goal is to kill all infidels, then it sounds more like a mass murder organization.
Long term goal. They need the short-to-mid term goal to achieve that, i.e., more recruits and funding.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 04, 2017, 12:53:12 PM
Assuming Abdul was from one of the affected countries that might be relevant. It would certainly be a nonsense response to domestic Steve.

It doesn't even have to be in the US for Trump to mention it like the London Bridge attack.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on October 04, 2017, 10:35:13 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 04, 2017, 10:31:57 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 04, 2017, 08:22:54 AM
Berkut, your point would only hold water if people like Timothy McVay, were considered terrorists. 

Is there any dispute about McVey being a terrorist?  That would be ridiculous.

Is there any doubt that my comment was tongue-in-cheek? 

Seems odd to bring up the 90s as a rejoinder though I recognize for one as old as yourself, the 90s are but a  blink of an eye in the past.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on October 04, 2017, 02:29:01 PM
Seems odd to bring up the 90s as a rejoinder though I recognize for one as old as yourself, the 90s are but a  blink of an eye in the past.

Seems odd to pretend that terrorism is a post-1990s phenomenon, but I recognize that someone as old as you has probably already forgotten what the '90s were like.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on October 04, 2017, 05:02:34 PM

Seems odd to pretend that terrorism is a post-1990s phenomenon, but I recognize that someone as old as you has probably already forgotten what the '90s were like.

If you could actually provide some evidence as to why labels used in the mid-90s have a bearing on a discussion about the use of terminology 20 years later, maybe you'd have a leg to stand on.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on October 04, 2017, 05:31:53 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 04, 2017, 05:02:34 PM

If you could actually provide some evidence as to why labels used in the mid-90s have a bearing on a discussion about the use of terminology 20 years later, maybe you'd have a leg to stand on.

"Homie don't play that".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on October 04, 2017, 12:48:11 PM
Can anyone honestly say that if the guy's name was Abdul rather than Steve the President wouldn't be tweeting about terrorism and how the courts were harming America by stopping his Muslim ban?

No doubt you're correct about the general shape of President Trump's response if the Las Vegas shooter had been named Abdul, but what does President Trump's response have to do with rational, informed discussion of this topic (or any other, for that matter)?

grumbler

Feel free to dismiss all the facts that don't line up with your narrative.  This 20-year cutoff for facts is yours, not the original author's.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on October 04, 2017, 08:33:49 PM

Feel free to dismiss all the facts that don't line up with your narrative.  This 20-year cutoff for facts is yours, not the original author's.

Youngins, what can you do.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Dude targeted aviation fuel tanks 1,100 feet from the concert site. If they'd gone up, would that have wiped out the crowd?

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/the-strip/Las-Vegas-Strip-shooter-targeted-aviation-fuel-tanks-source-says/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on October 05, 2017, 02:57:30 AM
How would they go up?

You put the fuel in an airplane and the fuel goes up when the airplane takes off.

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on October 05, 2017, 05:15:06 AM
Quote from: The Brain on October 05, 2017, 02:57:30 AM
How would they go up?

You put the fuel in an airplane and the fuel goes up when the airplane takes off.

Hospital? What is it?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 05, 2017, 01:51:25 AM
Dude targeted aviation fuel tanks 1,100 feet from the concert site. If they'd gone up, would that have wiped out the crowd?

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/the-strip/Las-Vegas-Strip-shooter-targeted-aviation-fuel-tanks-source-says/

Fortunately, AS THE ARTICLE YOU QUOTE YOURSELF SAYS, jet fuel doesn't ignite easily and it was impossible that they'd have gone up.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Larch on October 05, 2017, 05:45:45 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 05, 2017, 01:51:25 AM

Fortunately, AS THE ARTICLE YOU QUOTE YOURSELF SAYS, jet fuel doesn't ignite easily and it was impossible that they'd have gone up.

I took that to mean, unlikely but not impossible.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point