News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tamas on August 19, 2017, 10:38:53 AM
Of course that is pretty much harmless to the larger host community since European culture does not consider dying while fighting infidels the greatest of honors.

that is still very much up in the air. The dying can take a very long time. But if our governments don't stop muslim mass-migration you can be sure they dying will go quite a bit faster. After: with sufficient muslims your country will become a shithole, like all other countries where islam rules.

mongers

Handout from the Lebanese army shows troops waving both the Lebanese and Spanish flags in the territory of Ras Baalbek

The Lebanese army has recaptured a third of a key region near its north-eastern border with Syria from so-called Islamic State, officials say.

Government troops launched an offensive in Ras Baalbek, the last remaining IS stronghold in the country, on Saturday.

The army says there are about 600 militants in the mountainous region, which IS has held since 2014.

Full item here:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40990487
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on August 19, 2017, 10:20:50 PM
Poverty doesn't cause terrorism. Global warming does. Duh.

Don't be stupid.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

one killed in marseille after a guy drives into people at two bus stops.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

I had no idea Lebanon had ISIS occupied areas.

This car attack stuff is very strange. So simple and impossible to defend against, doesn't mean instant suicide... How come we are only seeing it now? Why wasn't it a thing in the past with the IRA, eta and Co?
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on August 21, 2017, 05:08:58 AM

This car attack stuff is very strange. So simple and impossible to defend against, doesn't mean instant suicide... How come we are only seeing it now? Why wasn't it a thing in the past with the IRA, eta and Co?

If you do a car attack you put the terrorist in a chaotic situation that has a lot of risks (consider the number of car attackers killed or apprehended). If you use say time bombs (and have the technical know-how in-house) you can do stuff with a lot less risk to yourself.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: The Brain on August 21, 2017, 05:16:05 AM

If you do a car attack you put the terrorist in a chaotic situation that has a lot of risks (consider the number of car attackers killed or apprehended). If you use say time bombs (and have the technical know-how in-house) you can do stuff with a lot less risk to yourself.

Yup. ETA mostly used time bombs or remote bombs inside cars.

celedhring

Looks like the alleged planner of the Barcelona attack spent some time in Belgium in 2016, just before the 2016 Brussels attacks. He sought employment in a mosque near Brussels, but was turned away when he failed to produce a police certificate (he had priors for drug peddling).

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on August 21, 2017, 04:58:19 AM
one killed in marseille after a guy drives into people at two bus stops.

For now, still described as "mentally unstable". He has a police record: drug pusher, battery and carrying of weapon without a license.

Plus another attempt in North Paris, a car driven by an individual shouting Allahu Akbar while listening to a loop of Al-Quran Suras tried to ram a police car. Failed and subsequently arrested.

http://www.lepoint.fr/societe/paris-un-vehicule-fonce-sur-la-police-21-08-2017-2151184_23.php

celedhring

Last suspected terrorist shot down in a Catalan town while brandishing an alleged explosive belt (which I bet will end up being fake as the others).

I hope he enjoys his virgins.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: derspiess on August 19, 2017, 10:20:50 PM
Poverty doesn't cause terrorism. Global warming does. Duh.

Stop parroting Macron's line.  :rolleyes:
Or parrot it more accurately, verbatim.  ;)

Quote« On ne peut pas prétendre lutter efficacement contre le terrorisme, si on n'a pas une action résolue contre le réchauffement climatique », dit-il. Pour lui, « les grands déséquilibres de notre monde, ceux que nous sommes en train de vivre, sont liés au déséquilibre climatique que notre mode productif international a généré. »

It's linked (liés), not caused. Pretty disputable anyways.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/2017/07/09/97001-20170709FILWWW00026-macron-terrorisme-et-climat-tout-est-lie.php

Eddie Teach

Those groups didn't typically use suicide attacks. These car attackers seem to mostly get caught or killed, so not ideal for someone who wants to live to fight another day.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 21, 2017, 07:07:57 AM
an individual shouting Allahu Akbar while listening to a loop of Al-Quran Suras tried to ram a police car.

One of many reasons why it's a good idea to let different ideologies march on our streets.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Old school terrorists were a lot more professional. They were not expected to die or get caught after an attack.

One of the kids that attacked Barcelona last week rented the van with his older brother's ID. Then left it at the van ...

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Iormlund on August 21, 2017, 05:22:15 PM

Old school terrorists were a lot more professional. They were not expected to die or get caught after an attack.

One of the kids that attacked Barcelona last week rented the van with his older brother's ID. Then left it at the van ...

Only slightly less worse than one of the Charlie Hebdo attacks perpetrators, a Kouachi brother, leaving an ID in a car, yet not willing to abandon an ugly sneaker.