News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Iormlund

I'm curious as to why the Mossos decided against installing physical protection in the Ramblas last year. It's a relatively low cost solution. And speaking from experience the place is absolutely crowded the whole year long -- I spend most of my weekends and vacation here with the gf so I'm there every couple weeks or so (mostly to go eat at an Argentinian place past Drassanes).

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 18, 2017, 01:01:46 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 18, 2017, 12:24:00 AM
Well, Trump was much faster reacting to this attack than to the one in Charlottesville, at least.

Still waiting on his response to the mosque bombing in Minnesota last week, but I think we all know where he lands on that one.
He needs time to think and answer properly he said.  It's just a coincidence if he thinks quicker when it concerns islamic terrorism.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Crazy_Ivan80

and in the meantime the EastFronters... er I mean, IS-scumbags are returning home too.
Antifa will have work to do.

Solmyr

Quote from: viper37 on August 18, 2017, 09:42:52 AM
Looks like Finland was hit too, someone stabbing people in a crowd.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/18/europe/finland-stabbing/index.html

Yes. Incidentally, the attacker was chased down by immigrants while white Finns were digging up their cellphones to film the attack.

celedhring

According to the regional police 12 terrorists have been identified. 5 dead, 4 arrested, 3 on the run.

There's also 2 unidentified corpses in a terrorist safe-house/explosive lab that exploded on their asses.

So this was a damn large operation. Apparently the plan was to produce explosives and set them off in tourist areas. Once the lab exploded, they acted immediately and settled for "just" running over people before the gig was up.

Jacob

so it could have been worse. that's sobering.

mongers

The Finland attack was terrorism.

Finland killings: Knifeman 'targeted women in Turku terror attack'

Police in Finland say a knifeman who killed two people in the south-western city of Turku on Friday appeared to choose women as targets.

They are treating the attack as a terrorist incident.

The suspect, arrested after being shot by police, is an 18-year-old Moroccan. Four other Moroccans have been held.

The two people stabbed to death were both Finnish. Eight people were also injured, among them a Briton, a Swede and an Italian.

The ages of the casualties ranged from 15 to 67, police said, but gave no more details.

Unconfirmed reports say six of the wounded were women.

Police said in a statement: "The act had been investigated as murder, but during the night we received additional information which indicates that the criminal offences are now terrorist killings."

They said the identity of the 18-year-old Moroccan was known, but they have not released it.

At a later press briefing, they said the suspect had arrived in Finland in 2016 and had "been part of the asylum process".

In addition to the four other arrests, an international search warrant has been issued for a sixth suspect.

The 18-year-old Moroccan is still being treated in hospital for a gunshot wound to the leg. Two other people are also still in hospital.

The UK embassy in Finland said it had "been in touch with the British national and offered consular support".

The attack happened in the Puutori/Market Square area of Turku.

Police said the alarm was raised at 16:02 local time (13:02 GMT) on Friday, when a man was reported to have attacked passers-by with a knife.

Full item here:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40985528

Once again independent* women appear to have been targeted. :hmm:

*ie women out in the public realm, rather than being stuck at home or chaperoned.

Moroccans again, would this be an offshoot from the Spanish attacks or part of wave of attackers independently arrive from there?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

QuoteOnce again independent* women appear to have been targeted

Independent women must be terrifying to such dimwits.

I have been telling this since the 9/11 attackers turned out to be Saudis who studied in Germany: can you just imagine? You grow up in Saudi Arabia or some other similar 3rd world craphole, you are being taught that the sun is shining out of the collective asses of your countrymen, and treating women like cattle is the best thing that could happen to them. Then you go to Europe, and you see a society that does pretty much the exact opposite of what your own, and is thriving.

There are two possible conclusions to draw: your homeland sucks goat ass, or this is all the work of the devil and the infidels need to follow your homeland's example so your homeland can become a better place. Or you need that to happen so you can get laid.

Of course many of these people will refuse to believe that what he was groomed to believe was proper and just was just silly and oppressive.

You can totally see the mild version of it happening with East Europeans. Those who stay home can still very much sense how much  more prosperous the West is, but for the uneducated parts of society that is just because the West was pillaging and oppressing the world. They envy the prosperity but it never really occurs to them that maybe their society is doing something wrong.
And many of those who already have nationalistic tendencies when they emigrate, end up being full-blown far-righters of their homeland, hating the liberal filth that gives them a much better living standard than their homeland.

Of course that is pretty much harmless to the larger host community since European culture does not consider dying while fighting infidels the greatest of honors.

dps

Quote from: Tamas on August 19, 2017, 10:38:53 AM

I have been telling this since the 9/11 attackers turned out to be Saudis who studied in Germany: can you just imagine? You grow up in Saudi Arabia or some other similar 3rd world craphole, you are being taught that the sun is shining out of the collective asses of your countrymen, and treating women like cattle is the best thing that could happen to them. Then you go to Europe, and you see a society that does pretty much the exact opposite of what your own, and is thriving.

There are two possible conclusions to draw: your homeland sucks goat ass, or this is all the work of the devil and the infidels need to follow your homeland's example so your homeland can become a better place. Or you need that to happen so you can get laid.

This narrative might work for terrorists from, say, Afghanistan,  but it doesn't really work for Saudis or others from the oil-rich states.  Those countries may be "craptastic" in many ways, but poverty and material deprivation isn't really the problem there.

mongers

Quote from: dps on August 19, 2017, 01:31:51 PM

This narrative might work for terrorists from, say, Afghanistan,  but it doesn't really work for Saudis or others from the oil-rich states.  Those countries may be "craptastic" in many ways, but poverty and material deprivation isn't really the problem there.

Oh there is, very much so.

Why would you think a kleptocracy would have a moderate income and wealth distribution?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Quote from: mongers on August 19, 2017, 01:52:49 PM
Quote from: dps on August 19, 2017, 01:31:51 PM

Oh there is, very much so.

Why would you think a kleptocracy would have a moderate income and wealth distribution?

My understanding is that Saudi citizens themselves are all well-off.  The poor there are servants and workers imported from elsewhere, and that this is true of the other oil states as well.  Of course, I could be mis-informed on the point.

derspiess

Poverty doesn't cause terrorism. Global warming does. Duh.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob