News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Whilst it was a good idea to have a thread for most terrorist attacks, I regret titling this on "Minor Acts of Terror"

Any objections to me retitling it "Acts of Terrorism Megathread" ?

Though obviously that leaves plenty of room to cover new, god forbid, 'spectacular' attacks with their own threads.

Will people be ok with finding it/searching for it?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Iormlund

Regional police have apparently gunned down 5 terrorists at a coastal town a short ride south. 4 are dead.

It seems there was a major attack planned. It was thwarted yesterday morning, when an explosive device went off and killed one terrorist, leaving another one severely injured.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

Quote from: Jacob on August 17, 2017, 05:10:32 PM
Quote from: dps on August 17, 2017, 05:04:38 PM
Uhm, actually during the SCW, Barcelona was the main stronghold of the Loyalists;  I don't see why you'd say they're soft on Nazis.

I'm pretty sure garbon was talking about Tamas, not Barcelona.

Yes. I get pissed off, make an ill-advised comment,  and Moral Police Garbon quickly connects the dots between that and my reluctance for seeing streets patrolled by vigilant militias.

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on August 17, 2017, 07:02:08 PM
Quote from: Tamas on August 17, 2017, 11:53:45 AM
13 deads reported at the moment. :(

"deads"?  Class.

I'll see you when you can type in Hungarian without making a typo every once in a while.

Syt

Well, Trump was much faster reacting to this attack than to the one in Charlottesville, at least.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on August 17, 2017, 05:36:00 PM
Whilst it was a good idea to have a thread for most terrorist attacks, I regret titling this on "Minor Acts of Terror"

Any objections to me retitling it "Acts of Terrorism Megathread" ?

Though obviously that leaves plenty of room to cover new, god forbid, 'spectacular' attacks with their own threads.

Will people be ok with finding it/searching for it?

This was my fault Mongers.

Initial report said no fatalities and some injured. I hoped that was true. :(

This was obviously not a minor act.

But then of course, maybe no terror attack should be labelled minor.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on August 18, 2017, 12:24:00 AM
Well, Trump was much faster reacting to this attack than to the one in Charlottesville, at least.

Still waiting on his response to the mosque bombing in Minnesota last week, but I think we all know where he lands on that one.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 18, 2017, 01:01:46 AM

Still waiting on his response to the mosque bombing in Minnesota last week, but I think we all know where he lands on that one.

Well, some people seem to hope for Muslim attacks with high death tolls so they can say, "See? SEE???"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Richard Hakluyt

It looks like the Spanish cops may have preempted a second attack :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40971004

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on August 18, 2017, 01:27:06 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 18, 2017, 01:01:46 AM

Well, some people seem to hope for Muslim attacks with high death tolls so they can say, "See? SEE???"

Definitely. Since the only argument the Hungarian government can make for its own continued existence is that, according to them, an endless horde of suicide terrorists would descend upon the country if anyone else was in power, any such attacks like yesterday prompt a disgusting response from pro-government media, where their loud horror and outrage can barely conceal their joy for having been supported another lifeline to hang onto.

celedhring

By my count, there's now at least 10 arrested/killed related to the Barcelona attack. That certainly wasn't a lone wolf/small cell affair.

Syt

On the plus side, Spanish authorities have long experience with dealing with terrorist dickwads.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

We've had loads of arrests these past years (nearly 200 arrested yihadis since 2009 IIRC), often close to carry attacks on Spanish soil, so the authorities were on alert. Problem is, and that's been said often, that sooner or later a cell would slip through.