News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

I seem to recall another candidate in that election cycle with a similar problem. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on June 15, 2017, 04:34:16 PM
Milquetoast Centrists aren't going to inspire extremism in their followers.  Is this a surprise?

We stopped doing that after 1848.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 15, 2017, 06:18:15 PM
I seem to recall another candidate in that election cycle with a similar problem.

Thing is, Trump didn't tell anybody to knock off the violence. He offered to pay legal fees.

Derniggerhater doesn't count Trump exhorting his supporters to shoot Hillary Clinton, either. Because cunts.

Duque de Bragança

On a watch list but still with a gun permit. :frusty:
Gun permit actually renewed in 2017.  :frusty:
What we have here is a failure to communicate, French civil servant-style.

I was in the area so I noticed agitation but I only had to take the métro instead of the bus, so almost nothing in terms of consequences.
Man has been identified as A. Djaziri but the report has not been update yet.

QuoteWeapons cache found at home of Champs-Élysées attacker

Text by FRANCE 24 
Latest update : 2017-06-20

A man killed while ramming a car loaded with guns and a gas canister into a police van on Paris's Champs-Élysées stored a cache of weapons at his home and had a gun permit, French officials revealed on Tuesday.

The man, who has yet to be identified by French prosecutors, held the gun permit despite being on a secret service list of people linked to radical Islam.

A judicial source said investigators were compiling an inventory of the arms and equipment found in the 31-year-old's home. His vehicle also contained an assault rifle, two pistols, ammunition and two large gas canisters when he rammed it into a police convoy on Monday.

The revelation of the discovery came after Prime Minister Édouard Philippe expressed dismay that the attacker was able to have a gun permit despite being on a jihadist watchlist.

Philippe said the individual first received a permit to possess a gun before he was flagged to intelligence agencies as a potential militant threat. At the time there was no reason to deny him the permit, Philippe said.

He noted that it was "quite possible" the licence was active at the time the attacker was on a security database. Three sources close to the investigation told the AFP news agency it was.

"Nobody can be happy, and certainly not me, that someone who has been flagged to security agencies can continue to benefit from such an authorisation," Philippe told BFM TV.

The man was placed on France's so called "Fiche S" watchlist after he was found to belong to a radical Islamist movement, two police sources said.

Individuals on the list are placed under surveillance though the intensity of that surveillance varies depending on the perceived threat the individual poses.

edit: for another dumbfounding information

Liep

QuoteMan shot in Brussels rail station amid bomb belt claims

A man has triggered a small explosion in Brussels Central Station, a spokesman for the Belgian federal police told the BBC.
The man was shot by soldiers inside the station and no-one else is believed to have been injured.
Police say the situation is under control. The station and the city's Grand Place were evacuated.
In March 2016, 32 people died in attacks on Brussels claimed by the Islamic State (IS) group.
According to Belgian newspaper La Libre, quoting prosecutors, the man who was shot was wearing a rucksack and a bomb belt.
He detonated a device when he attracted the attention of soldiers in the station, the paper says.
Brussels Central Station is one of three main terminals in the city.

Excellent if they got him before anyone was injured, but still frighteningly late in the terrorist's process.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 20, 2017, 09:01:55 AM

Are individuals on the watch list informed that they are on the watch list?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

I didn't find out I was on the watch list after 9/11 until I found out at the airport that I was on the watch list.  So convenient, right there at the ticket counter and everything :yeah:

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 20, 2017, 04:39:44 PM
I didn't find out I was on the watch list after 9/11 until I found out at the airport that I was on the watch list.  So convenient, right there at the ticket counter and everything :yeah:

How did you get on the watch list??? :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on June 20, 2017, 04:42:25 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 20, 2017, 04:39:44 PM

How did you get on the watch list??? :hmm:

Being 'here' has consequences.  :ph34r:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Prottie RUC asshole sympathizers, that's who.

Tamas

Quote from: Liep on June 20, 2017, 03:13:34 PM
QuoteMan shot in Brussels rail station amid bomb belt claims

A man has triggered a small explosion in Brussels Central Station, a spokesman for the Belgian federal police told the BBC.
The man was shot by soldiers inside the station and no-one else is believed to have been injured.
Police say the situation is under control. The station and the city's Grand Place were evacuated.
In March 2016, 32 people died in attacks on Brussels claimed by the Islamic State (IS) group.
According to Belgian newspaper La Libre, quoting prosecutors, the man who was shot was wearing a rucksack and a bomb belt.
He detonated a device when he attracted the attention of soldiers in the station, the paper says.
Brussels Central Station is one of three main terminals in the city.

Excellent if they got him before anyone was injured, but still frighteningly late in the terrorist's process.

I was waiting and dreading when would these idiots discover train stations for themselves. :(

The big London train stations seem like scarily easy targets: massive crowds especially during rush hour, sometimes even in very confined spaces, absolutely no security whatsoever*

*I guess there is some. I was at Victoria during the weekend and the loud speaker told whoever left a bike with a big bag on it next to a shop should come and grab it because its being taken away to be destroyed. But still if that was an actual bomb what could they have done to prevent dozens of deaths?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Malthus on June 20, 2017, 04:24:10 PM

Nope, at least they are not supposed to be.
This is the argument some people used to explain why his gun permit was renewed. I am still not convinced by its pertinence though.

PS: of course, if they are prosecuted later, the watchlist presence will be used by the prosecution during the trial but that's another matter.

Malthus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 21, 2017, 07:52:56 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 20, 2017, 04:24:10 PM

Nope, at least they are not supposed to be.
This is the argument some people used to explain why his gun permit was renewed. I am still not convinced by its pertinence though.

PS: of course, if they are prosecuted later, the watchlist presence will be used by the prosecution during the trial but that's another matter.

Depends on which is more important for public security:

1. Taking away his legal gun permit; or

2. Risk informing him that he's being 'watched' (since refusal to make what would otherwise be a routine renewal would, to a person of ordinary intelligence, suggest that the authorities were on to him).

I myself don't know which is more important, but I can see a potential argument there.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Time to build that wall on the northern border.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall