News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 14, 2017, 11:15:37 AM
Never going to happen. The Supreme Court has spoken.
didn't the Supreme Court said it was up to the States to rule on the matter, and not the Federal gov?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on June 14, 2017, 12:13:43 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 14, 2017, 11:15:37 AM
Never going to happen. The Supreme Court has spoken.
didn't the Supreme Court said it was up to the States to rule on the matter, and not the Federal gov?

I thought McDonald v. Chicago said gun ownership was a federally protected right and thus cannot be infringed upon by local governments.

At that point I regarded the gun control debate settled.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

The Court ruled that it is a personal right, incorporated against the states and localities, but subject to reasonable regulation that does not unduly burden the right to bear and use arms for "typical . . . lawful purposes".

That still leaves a lot of play re the scope of regulation.  For example, in Heller, the Court (Scalia) cited approvingly to regulations including: bans on sawed-off shotguns, bans on fully automatic weapons, prohibitions on concealed weapons, laws forbidding arms in "sensitive places" (like schools and government buildings), or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms, and prohibitions on possessions by felons and the mentally ill.  Scalia also made it clear that these examples were illustrative, not exhaustive, i.e. there could be many other potentially lawful regulations.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Adding on, I think the SC said in Chicago that the statute was overly broad, i.e. a total ban on handguns, not that any regulation of gun ownership was totally unconstitutional.

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on June 14, 2017, 11:16:05 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 14, 2017, 11:10:32 AM
Way I see it, there are three possibilities:

1) Extreme unluckiness. This dude was looking to shoot up a bunch of people, and he happened on the field that just happened to have a bunch of congressmen on it. Wrong place, wrong time.

2) Stalker. This guy was looking for a particular congressman (maybe Scalise, maybe someone else) and had scoped out that they were likely to be at this game at this time. Support is that the shooter just happened to hit the only one there who was part of congressional leadership.

3) If Scalise hadn't brought his own security, you'd be looking at 20-30 congressmen without protection. For somebody looking to do as much damage as possible to the House, that would have been basically the perfect soft target.

My money's on 3, and I suspect we'll find some kind of manifesto after some digging.

Seems like a Bernie supporter trying to take out the bad guys. I really hope that is not the case though.

It's going to get worse.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Seems like Bernie Bros are a little more prone to violence than Hillary supporters.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 15, 2017, 09:38:35 AM
Just like Trump bros, right?

Not quite.  Unless they have been gunning down congressmen and I wasn't aware of it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Not aware either

but still prone to violence.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 15, 2017, 11:33:06 AM
Not aware either

but still prone to violence.

When compared to Hillary supporters, I'd agree.  I guess in my original post, I was thinking specifically about groups affected by TDS.  Should have stated that.

The Minsky Moment

Only the Bernie supporters from Illinois are a problem. 
Or maybe it's the AARP card that sets them off?
Or maybe one incident doesn't establish statistical significance?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 15, 2017, 12:30:15 PM
When compared to Hillary supporters, I'd agree.  I guess in my original post, I was thinking specifically about groups affected by TDS.  Should have stated that.

Hillary supporters are stooges of the system so we remember that there will be other elections in the future. Having the Republicans elect even shittier leaders than we usually elect might help our chances. Shooting them could only ruin that.

But seriously it looks like Scalise is in bigger danger than I thought. I am not quite hand wringing yet but...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 15, 2017, 12:38:38 PM

Derspeiss is thinking of the Alt-right guy who hated Clinton so much he voted for Sanders.  There does seem to be a connection between people who hated Clinton and people who are willing to kill.  It's almost as if people spent decades indoctrinating people to hate Clinton and the result was unstable people acting out that indoctrination if violent ways.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

frunk

Milquetoast Centrists aren't going to inspire extremism in their followers.  Is this a surprise?

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 15, 2017, 12:38:38 PM

Maybe not.  But remember this?  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/06/05/bernie-sanders-tells-supporters-to-knock-off-the-violence