News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 21, 2017, 05:27:38 AM
Well, the left here is not really interested in christians, refugees or not, even if they are arabic regarding the Palm Sunday attack, which is not a minor terrorist attack, covered by this thread.

Ah, that was said the last time I mentioned it - and yet we also didn't have any other thread about it on Languish. Nor did it remain a major news story for long.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Having Tim mentioning it tainted it?

Josquius

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 21, 2017, 05:21:30 AM
Religion of peace strikes again; I'm sure  you all missed it!

I was in the area around the time, but far away enough. Got a couple of calls and sms from relatives.

If there were any doubts about Marine making it to the second round, they are gone. Might enable Fillon to make it though.

Conflicting reports about the perpetrator, S sheet or not? Convicted already in 2005, 15 years to serve. I guess some judge screwed up, again.

Fun

Precisely the reason this attack was commited.
Get all the sheep to back le pen then sit back and wait for her to start oppressing Muslims. Bake for 20 mins et voila. Religious war. Exactly what they want.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

This morning when the local correspondent for ITV reported in from the scene of the crime, you could see at least half a dozen other TV crews as well.

I wonder, maybe it is just a matter of what is convenient for the media to be turned into a story? You can be sent down to Paris easily, do a nice coverage, have a nice hotel on company expenses. WAY harder to do it in Egypt.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 21, 2017, 05:24:38 AM
Reporting on this (top billing on many news sites) reminds me to be annoyed about how it is covered vs. news of all those people murdered at church on Palm Sunday at Egypt. But then people are always most interested in themselves.

Everyone has already forecast attacks like this prior to the French vote--radical moose lambs want Le Pen in as much as the racists do.  There will be more until the election, like little Wikileaks time-release Clinton emails of death.  So feel free to play along, France.

Maladict

Fun fact: the perpetrator was born the same year as Macron.

Haven't had this much fun in ages. Thanks for that.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Maladict on April 21, 2017, 07:55:10 AM
Fun fact: the perpetrator was born the same year as Macron.

Haven't had this much fun in ages. Thanks for that.

En marche !

Jacob

The BBC is reporting that the attack on the Dortmund players was likely perpetrated by someone trying to make money from short selling Dortmund stock.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on April 21, 2017, 09:47:16 AM
The BBC is reporting that the attack on the Dortmund players was likely perpetrated by someone trying to make money from short selling Dortmund stock.

MiM and Yi will be congratulating him on his creative investment strategy.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on April 21, 2017, 06:46:05 AM
Get all the sheep to back le pen then sit back and wait for her to start oppressing Muslims. Bake for 20 mins et voila. Religious war. Exactly what they want.

This sounds to me more like the rationalization of someone who prefers touchy feely policies (for whatever reason, probably first principles) than a carefully considered analysis of the motivations and goals of terrorists.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2017, 03:59:58 PM

This sounds to me more like the rationalization of someone who prefers touchy feely policies (for whatever reason, probably first principles) than a carefully considered analysis of the motivations and goals of terrorists.

There have been a couple of interesting War College podcasts on that subject, worth catching up with.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

You don't think some terrorists are motivated by accelerationism?

Razgovory

This is how the communists thought.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on April 21, 2017, 04:12:22 PM

You don't think some terrorists are motivated by accelerationism?

Yeah, I mean what is a terrorist other than someone hoping to motivate people into particular courses of action through fear? I suppose there could be terrorists naive enough to think they could scare western nations into doing nothing, but given how we continue to overreact, I can't think that theory holds sway for the majority of these terrorists.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zoupa

Quote from: garbon on April 21, 2017, 05:28:43 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 21, 2017, 05:27:38 AM
Well, the left here is not really interested in christians, refugees or not, even if they are arabic regarding the Palm Sunday attack, which is not a minor terrorist attack, covered by this thread.

Ah, that was said the last time I mentioned it - and yet we also didn't have any other thread about it on Languish. Nor did it remain a major news story for long.

Such an astute observation.