News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Also, I'm a little surprised (well not surprised but continue to never understand) in ISIS wanting to claim this. 'You too can be shot to death after driving a car into tourists on the sidewalk!' ???
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

To their recruiting pool that is the dream.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2017, 07:31:01 AM
To their recruiting pool that is the dream.

Not to downplay the deaths and injuries causes in this occurrence, but wouldn't their recruiting pool desire to be a bit more...impactful? A few dead and 20 or so injured doesn't seem like it'd be all that 'glorious' from that point of view.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Archy

Attempted attack in Antwerp on Meir shopping street. Car with Fench license plate and middle eastern driver in camo tried to drive in on high speed on shoppers. Luckily nobody got hurt. Attacker got arrested after flight. Car currently under investigation

Josquius

Wow, That is completely unmentioned in the British news.
I am getting pretty annoyed at how much attention is being given to this. Really playing into the terrorist's hands.
If there was a car accident that killed 4 people it'd barely get a mention.

Quote from: garbon on March 23, 2017, 07:29:45 AM
Also, I'm a little surprised (well not surprised but continue to never understand) in ISIS wanting to claim this. 'You too can be shot to death after driving a car into tourists on the sidewalk!' ???

The primary goal of marketing is not to encourage people to buy your product but to keep up awareness of your product.
Daesh have been a bit off the radar lately.
Perhaps?
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Archy on March 23, 2017, 09:04:18 AM
Attempted attack in Antwerp on Meir shopping street. Car with Fench license plate and middle eastern driver in camo tried to drive in on high speed on shoppers. Luckily nobody got hurt. Attacker got arrested after flight. Car currently under investigation

Several weapons found in the car. Looks like a lucky escape for Antwerp.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tyr on March 23, 2017, 01:32:39 PM
Wow, That is completely unmentioned in the British news.
I am getting pretty annoyed at how much attention is being given to this. Really playing into the terrorist's hands.
If there was a car accident that killed 4 people it'd barely get a mention.

Quote from: garbon on March 23, 2017, 07:29:45 AM

The primary goal of marketing is not to encourage people to buy your product but to keep up awareness of your product.
Daesh have been a bit off the radar lately.
Perhaps?

If not IS then another muslim group engaging in jihad, just like their 'prophet'.

Syt

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/mar/23/sebastian-gorka-westminster-attack-trump-travel-ban

QuoteSebastian Gorka says London attack is proof travel ban is needed

Trump's national security aide says Westminster attack proves ban is necessary, despite the fact that the British-born attacker wouldn't have been affected by it

A Trump administration official seized on the Westminster terror attack to justify the president's blocked travel ban, which targets refugees and immigrants from six Muslim-majority countries, despite confirmation that the attacker was neither an immigrant nor a refugee.

Sebastian Gorka, a national security aide to the president and a former editor for the far-right news site Breitbart, told Fox News's conservative talk show host Sean Hannity on Wednesday evening that the attack in Westminster, that left three people and the attacker dead, "should be a surprise to nobody".

"The war is real and that's why executive orders like president Trump's travel moratorium are so important," Gorka said.

Despite the official's remarks it is almost certain that the British-born attacker, 52 year-old Khalid Masood, would not have been affected by Trump's ban, which targets immigrants and refugees from a handful of countries. Further, the US would have already been entitled to block Masood from the country, given his extensive criminal record.

Trump has issued two executive orders seeking to temporarily bar travel from the selected groups. Both have been blocked by federal courts, which found grounds for a violation of the US constitution that prohibits religious discrimination.

On Wednesday, the administration filed a motion to a federal appeals court requesting an accelerated hearing of the government's appeal against the most recent legal block on the policy.

Gorka, the presidential adviser, appeared on the same Fox News show as the former Ukip leader and close Trump confident Nigel Farage, who also argued the Westminster attack served as justification for Trump's ban.

"Surely an American audience seeing this horrendous thing happening in Westminster today should start to say to itself that when Donald Trump tries to put in place vetting measures, he's doing it to protect your country," Farage said.

He went on to lambast those who have protested against the executive order, and added: "Frankly, if you open your door to uncontrolled immigration from Middle Eastern countries you are inviting in terrorism."

Farage's claims were inaccurate. Since the 9/11 attacks, immigrants from the six countries targeted by Trump's travel ban – Sudan, Somalia, Iran, Yemen, Syria and Libya – or any refugee has carried out a deadly terror attack in the US. Refugees resettled in the United States are already subjected to rigorous vetting procedures that take between 18 months to two years to complete.

Mila Johns, an independent counter terrorism researcher and a former analyst at the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism, argued the claims made by Gorka and Farage "make absolutely no sense at all".

"Even if you look at the last time London suffered a major attack, three of the four 7/7 bombers were born in Britain and the other was born in Jamaica – not really a place you think that radicalized Islamists are going to come from."

"I think facts are something the Trump administration seems to have a very tenuous grasp on, let alone an appreciation for," Johns added. "It's incredibly significant if, when confronted with actual facts and evidence, they continue to repeat their own propaganda, that has no relationship to reality."

Gorka's comments came shortly after the president's son, Donald Trump Jr, was labelled "a disgrace" for attacking London mayor Sadiq Khan based on a six-month-old interview with the Independent.

The mayor had said that terror attacks were "part and parcel of living in a big city" and "I want to be reassured that every single agency and individual involved in protecting our city has the resources and expertise they need to respond in the event that London is attacked." Trump Jnr had partially quoted the article without contextualizing Khan's remarks.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Yes, the regular trolls are out in force though it wouldn't do nothing to stop a man born in Britain.

Josquius

Best response I've seen: The alleged Westminster attacker is a 52 year old from Kent. So is Nigel Farage. When will we tackle this problem of 52 year old extremists from Kent?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on March 23, 2017, 04:58:52 PM
Best response I've seen: The alleged Westminster attacker is a 52 year old from Kent. So is Nigel Farage. When will we tackle this problem of 52 year old extremists from Kent?

That's pretty retarded, sir.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2017, 05:47:04 PM

That's pretty retarded, sir.

True. This guy killed a few people, Farange screwed over a whole country :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

:lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on March 23, 2017, 03:18:33 PM
QuoteSebastian Gorka says London attack is proof travel ban is needed

Kinda saw this one coming.

Anyway, London has survived everything from pissed-off peasants, a massive fire, Guy Fawkes, the Black Plague, the Luftwaffe, the IRA and Boris Johnson.  Kudos to London not missing a beat.

Josquius

I've just realised what the logical idiots answer to recent attacks would be.
Has anyone actually seen them proposing a ban or tight controls on Muslims buying cars?
I surprisingly haven't
██████
██████
██████