And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on February 04, 2017, 06:14:50 PM
Quote from: PDH on February 04, 2017, 03:50:17 PM
To be pedantic for my own self, anthropologists of religion use it in a way similar to the canonical meaning - devoid of institutional (but not necessarily spiritual) influences.

Secular muslim can be both an oxymoron and filled with meaning depending on the definitions of terms.

Yes, but we are talking ordinary English here, not anthropological or religion-specific definitions.  A Muslim is one who has "submitted to Allah."  That's kinda the point.  "Non-practicing Muslims" isn't a term a Muslim would recognize as valid, since the only definition of Muslim is that he or she has submitted to Allah.  The Five Pillars are just how a Muslim observes the faith; they can be suspended for various reasons without impacting their status as Muslims, so long as they still acknowledge submission to Allah.  A "secular" submission to Allah seems a contradiction in terms.
there are muslims who don't believe the religion should be the law of the land.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on February 04, 2017, 09:52:32 PM
sec·u·lar·ism
ˈsekyələˌrizəm/
noun
noun: secularism

the principle of separation of the state from religious institutions.

You've learned to cut and past!  Good for you!!  Now, look up the word in question, and cut-n-paste that definition.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

I am religious but I believe in a non-religious society. I don't want religion dictated to me by the state.

I don't see why a Muslim could not share that view.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on February 06, 2017, 12:25:55 PM
I am religious but I believe in a non-religious society. I don't want religion dictated to me by the state.

That is not the will of Allah, PBJ.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 06, 2017, 12:25:55 PM

I don't see any reason why a Muslim could not share that point of view.  That doesn't make you, or the Muslim, secular.  It may make you both believe in secular politics, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

I've sent the White House a link to this thread, maybe they'll find some of their phantom non-reported attaks in it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Klansman was found dead in the river up near St. Louis.  Shot in the head.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Leader or just a knob

Never mind linked it through fb
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Who gives a shit, it's one less asshole in the world, and derspiess moves up a notch in the Midwest hierarchy so we can say we know somebody now.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 12, 2017, 08:26:33 PM
Who gives a shit, it's one less asshole in the world, and derspiess moves up a notch in the Midwest hierarchy so we can say we know somebody now.

Eh, a brother would have done it drive by style.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Bayraktar!