News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Understanding lyrics: is it important?

Started by viper37, July 22, 2016, 09:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it important for you to understand the lyrics of a song?

Non english: I used to sing Karma Chameleon and Touch me...
5 (38.5%)
Non english: It has to be in a language I understand
0 (0%)
English: Waka Waka is a deeply offensive song
2 (15.4%)
English: Bof.  I just like the music
6 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

viper37

The subject came over last week, and again, during Rammstein's show and over here again.  Lots of people seem bothered by the fact they sing in German, a language not many understand around here.

My argument, which did not win me any points with my cousin's girlfriend was that her favorite singer (Eric Lapointe), even though he sings in French, we can't understand a word he's saying, and even when we do, it doesn't make any sense.  She was pissed, really, really pissed at me :P

It came again during the show, and I had her noticed that Gojira had a song in French she never noticed. :) 

I listen to music in Celtic, German, French, English, Spanish.  I don't care.  I don't give a flying fuck what it says.  I just like it. :)
I grew up listening to english songs I did not know the meaning of, like Touch Me or Karma Chameleon and I didn't care then, nor now.

Last time Rammstein came in Quebec city, they were with Apocalyptica.  Some people tried to incite a boycott of the "anglo-saxon invasion of the Plains of Abraham" and requests more French music. Didn't work out really well, 90k people went to see the show and the idiots looked like the morons they were.

So, what about you?  Do you get pissed off by bands that don't sing in your language?  Do you try to organize massive boycott of events where non (your language) bands play? Do you avoid them at all costs if you don't understand what they say in the songs?  Do you need a translation before you can enjoy the music?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Obviously depends on the song :P Everybody should understand songs about spilling the impure blood of ferocious royalist soldiers on the fields and plains of France.

For pop music it is just as well I don't understand the lyrics. They are usually idiotic anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 22, 2016, 09:24:07 AM
Everybody should understand songs about spilling the impure blood of ferocious royalist soldiers on the fields and plains of France.
there needs to be a like button on this forum :P

@Sav: :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Oh, she may get wooly, women do get wooly
because of all the stress...

Monoriu

I am terrible about understanding lyrics.  70-80% of the time, I have no idea what words people are singing, regardless of the language.  I am pretty much a melody person. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on July 22, 2016, 09:47:29 AM
I am terrible about understanding lyrics.  70-80% of the time, I have no idea what words people are singing, regardless of the language.  I am pretty much a melody person.

Of course you are.  Less effort, hide in the back of the chorus.  Don't have to sweat as much.

LaCroix

is it "important"? for people who care enough, I guess. while I like songs with lyrics, I never seem to pay attention to them. I can listen to a song a few hundred times and have no idea what it's about.

Josquius

Totally depends.
The lyrics make some songs (e.g. common people), less so others
██████
██████
██████

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Razgovory

I can barely understand about half of what people tell me.  Granted I live in the Ozarks, and everyone has a weird accent and seven great-grand-parents.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

You have to understand the lyrics in order to use them to make witty pop-culture references.

11B4V

So, what about you?  I just listen

Do you get pissed off by bands that don't sing in your language?  No

Do you try to organize massive boycott of events where non (your language) bands play? No, that's fucking stupid.

Do you avoid them at all costs if you don't understand what they say in the songs? No

Do you need a translation before you can enjoy the music? No
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

No
No
No
No

The vast majority of music I listen to is in English (regardless of origin, I rarely listen to Swedish music with Swedish lyrics).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Rex Francorum

I usually don't care about lyrics except in classical music
To rent