News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Understanding lyrics: is it important?

Started by viper37, July 22, 2016, 09:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it important for you to understand the lyrics of a song?

Non english: I used to sing Karma Chameleon and Touch me...
5 (38.5%)
Non english: It has to be in a language I understand
0 (0%)
English: Waka Waka is a deeply offensive song
2 (15.4%)
English: Bof.  I just like the music
6 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

jimmy olsen

If it's in English the lyrics are important to me, if not in English they're not important to me and I can still enjoy the song.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Rex Francorum on July 22, 2016, 08:01:04 PM
I usually don't care about lyrics except in classical music

Italian is the proper language for opera. All educated people agree on that.

Anyway good to see you Rex!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

I'm the one who likes all their pretty songs and I like to sing along but I don't know what they mean.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on July 22, 2016, 05:28:55 PM
The vast majority of music I listen to is in English (regardless of origin, I rarely listen to Swedish music with Swedish lyrics).
there ain't a ton of good Swedish metal bands singing in swedish :(  Sabaton has one song I know of.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Quote from: viper37 on July 23, 2016, 09:39:57 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 22, 2016, 05:28:55 PM
The vast majority of music I listen to is in English (regardless of origin, I rarely listen to Swedish music with Swedish lyrics).
there ain't a ton of good Swedish metal bands singing in swedish :(  Sabaton has one song I know of.

True. At least Sabaton did a whole record with two versions of all the songs, English and Swedish.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

I rarely listen intensively enough to hear all the lyrics of a song, but a song becomes more enjoyable to me if there are well constructed pieces of lyric within it regardless of their context otherwise. I think this is why I love Tom Waits so much.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk