And we're back!

Main Menu

Coup attempt in Turkey

Started by Maladict, July 15, 2016, 03:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 19, 2016, 04:03:08 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 18, 2016, 04:31:25 PM
I actually suspect something real bad is going to happen when Turkey finishes preparing its formal extradition request for Fethullah Gülen; now unless I'm mistaken, since Gülen is a permanent resident with a green card, there is no mechanism for the State Department or the President to just "extradite him" on special request from Turkey. We would have to hold an extradition hearing in courts, which are not politically answerable to U.S. foreign policy concerns. Unless the Turkish request actually contains legitimate evidence that would withstand court scrutiny, it's likely the request will be rejected by a court--and even if Obama was inclined to do something about it, he couldn't.

I've heard some people suggest Erdogan might basically close up Incirlik and not allow anyone to come or go, essentially holding some ~5000 American servicemen hostage, until Gülen is extradited.

and I will once again point to the significant amount of Turkish Erdogan-voters (lets just call these islamofascists instead though) in many european countries willing to take to streets and engage in violence on the Turkish Führer's behalf.

What's the connection between that and Erdogan's request for us to extradite Gulen?  Are you suggesting that US courts take into account the potential for pro-Erdogan elements to riot in Europe?

Quote from: The Larch

What's Stalin's purging record? Maybe he's going after that.

Estimates go anywhere from 600,000 to 65 million.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Larch on July 19, 2016, 12:54:56 PM
It seems that Erdogan is getting trigger happy with his purging.

It's cool. Erdogan is just counting his coup.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Now see, that's how people get run over in parking lots.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Solmyr on July 19, 2016, 01:44:55 PM
Would be ironic if all this purging triggered another coup or revolt that actually succeeds.

Isn't that sort of what happened in Iran with Mossadegh?
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

mongers

Did you see the film of the police snatch Landrover coming under fire from the attack helicopter, I think a AH1 Cobra, scary stuff.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

Besides major Turkish news outlets blaming the US for the coup attempt, Erdogan in a recent speech said the US needs to leave the Med. What is going on with Turkey? This bodes poorly for continued relations with US and NATO, and Europe. I didn't think his view was to move towards Iranian type thinking but now I'm not so sure and have no idea how things may turn out. It was obvious how Erdogan was neutralizing the military with the purges of generals, replacing them with Erdogan loyalists. And as noted often here Turkey has been moving away from the constitution and democracy they did have, led by the ever tightening control of Erdogan. He's gained even after big losses to his party in recent elections. Now after the coup it appears clear that the Parliament will vote in favor of what he wants, which will allow him more so to gain the powers he wants to take over and create the autocracy.

Valmy

Leave the Med? The Mediterranean? Um no we didn't fight the Barbary Pirates just to leave now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Legbiter

Quote from: Berkut on July 19, 2016, 12:56:12 PM
Never waste a good crisis.

The coup in Turkey probably would have been much more successful if all the people currently being arrested for it actually were involved.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

alfred russel

Quote from: KRonn on July 20, 2016, 08:07:34 AM
Besides major Turkish news outlets blaming the US for the coup attempt, Erdogan in a recent speech said the US needs to leave the Med. What is going on with Turkey? This bodes poorly for continued relations with US and NATO, and Europe. I didn't think his view was to move towards Iranian type thinking but now I'm not so sure and have no idea how things may turn out. It was obvious how Erdogan was neutralizing the military with the purges of generals, replacing them with Erdogan loyalists. And as noted often here Turkey has been moving away from the constitution and democracy they did have, led by the ever tightening control of Erdogan. He's gained even after big losses to his party in recent elections. Now after the coup it appears clear that the Parliament will vote in favor of what he wants, which will allow him more so to gain the powers he wants to take over and create the autocracy.

He has already pissed off the Russians, now he needs to alienate the Americans. With Europe giving him the cold shoulder on his "join the EU" push, and ISIS blowing stuff up in his country, Erdogan is well on his way to achieving splendid diplomatic isolation.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

How did he piss off the Russians?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2016, 10:43:05 AM

Shot down one of their planes entering Turkish airspace.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Hasn't there been a public reconciliation with Russia? Erdogan and Putin seem birds of a feather so I'm sure they'd find a way to align their countries.

mongers

Quote from: Legbiter on July 20, 2016, 10:08:46 AM
Quote from: Berkut on July 19, 2016, 12:56:12 PM
Never waste a good crisis.

The coup in Turkey probably would have been much more successful if all the people currently being arrested for it actually were involved.

Yeah those 15,000 teachers could have proven to be a formidable force on the battlefield.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on July 20, 2016, 10:46:26 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2016, 10:43:05 AM

Shot down one of their planes entering Turkish airspace.
All in the past.  BTW, it was one of the coup guys who shot down the Russian plane, in a conspiracy to drive a wedge between Turkey and Russia.