News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coup attempt in Turkey

Started by Maladict, July 15, 2016, 03:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 16, 2016, 04:21:26 PM
Yeah, I'm using the term Islamist to mean a Muslim anti-secularist, who believes government should enshrine Islamic principles and laws etc. Basically the government of Tehran or other Muslim states that function in this way. Turkey has always been notable for having a strictly secular government. Much like the United States, which has a secular government and a large portion of the population who do not respect that, this has lead to tensions. But the anti-secularists in America never made up such a large percentage of the population as they do in Turkey (where I've read they're an outright majority, I think here they probably represent a solid 35-45% of the country), and America also just has much stronger constitutional and democratic traditions protecting it from a fundamentalist Christian power monger remaking the state into an "evangelical regime."

If we use Berkut's term it describes pretty much everyone in the middle east except hardcore secularists like communists.  If we turn the it around and use it describe westerners then you describe nearly everyone in the West.  Even hardcore atheists like Richard Dawkins describes themselves as "cultural christian".  Pretty much everyone in the West is "informed" by the Christian religion. It's fairly pervasive, people quote the bible (or misquote it), on a fairly frequent basis.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

truth is in the middle.
Islamicist doesn't necessarily mean full on Daesh but nor does it mean any sort of Islamic country.
It means a pretty hard line sort who wants to see a government based on a fundamentalist version of the koran.
The Saudis count.
Morocco doesn't.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Malicious Intent on July 16, 2016, 05:09:53 AM
QuoteThe Turkish government has indirectly accused exiled Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen of being behind the coup.

Minutes ago, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said  any country that would "stand by" Mr Gulen "won't be a friend of Turkey and will be considered at war with Turkey".

Mr Gulen lives in self-imposed exile in the United States.

He has previously been described as Turkey's second most powerful man.

Well we're fucked.

You have to be one sick motherfucker to go after Gulen and his hippie Muslims.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on July 16, 2016, 03:52:44 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 16, 2016, 03:44:00 PM
It is remarkable how many intelligent people throw away good sense when Muslims are involved.

While that's true, I don't see why you'd post that comment at this time.

Raz is doing his victory dance.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 16, 2016, 05:08:55 PM
If we use Berkut's term

Hey I have a fucking great idea: why don't you talk to Tamas and Berkut about this shit instead of just lumping us all together like an asshole?

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 16, 2016, 05:40:29 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 16, 2016, 03:52:44 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 16, 2016, 03:44:00 PM
It is remarkable how many intelligent people throw away good sense when Muslims are involved.

While that's true, I don't see why you'd post that comment at this time.

Raz is doing his victory dance.

So a Raz victory is where everyone loses?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 16, 2016, 02:11:14 AM
Yeah...while I doubt the earlier suggestion that it was a "Reichstag Fire" kinda plot, a lot of the fallout will likely be the same nonetheless.

The "Reichstag fire" analogy does not imply that the coup was orchestrated by Erdogan, just that he can use this coup to crack down hard on his opponents, most notably anyone who might support Gulen. I very much doubt that the whole affair was some false flag mission by the AKP. Neither does such action fit Gulen's modus operandi, who so far prefered to attack his enemies by tarnishing their reputation.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on July 16, 2016, 05:42:30 PM
If we use Berkut's term

Hey I have a fucking great idea: why don't you talk to Tamas and Berkut about this shit instead of just lumping us all together like an asshole?

Why don't you go fuck off?  Really what the fuck is your problem here?  I chastise the wide spread blood-thirstiness on this forum and you come at me all pissed off.  Tell you what, why don't you go find Tuna and ask him why he left Languish.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Malicious Intent on July 16, 2016, 05:58:14 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on July 16, 2016, 02:11:14 AM
Yeah...while I doubt the earlier suggestion that it was a "Reichstag Fire" kinda plot, a lot of the fallout will likely be the same nonetheless.

The "Reichstag fire" analogy does not imply that the coup was orchestrated by Erdogan, just that he can use this coup to crack down hard on his opponents, most notably anyone who might support Gulen. I very much doubt that the whole affair was some false flag mission by the AKP. Neither does such action fit Gulen's modus operandi, who so far prefered to attack his enemies by tarnishing their reputation.

Yeah, I only suggested a Reichstag fire type false flag event in the first moments of the coup, when I was envisioning it might just be like a small handful of guys in some government building that Turkish intelligence had surreptitiously managed to "convince" now was the time to strike a blow for the Republic, or something. Once I saw the scale of the coup I knew it was far too large for it to have been actually surreptitiously planned by Erdogan. But once the early hours were over and he knew he had won, I bet Erdo has never been happier. He gets to be President for life now and turn Turkey into an autocracy, his life long dream.

11B4V

What's the poo throwing about?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on July 16, 2016, 04:14:49 PM
I would consider that a jihadist.

An Islamist is someone who believes that the best form of government is one informed by Islam - i.e., it is a political movement.

...and is willing to use the coercive power of the state to enforce it.

CountDeMoney

You know, used to be when a military threw a coup, it was fucking thrown.  Even without the help of the CIA.

Fucking Millennials.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2016, 09:08:26 PM

An Islamist is someone who believes that the best form of government is one informed by Islam - i.e., it is a political movement.

Indeed. They believe that the law should reflect Islamic law to some extent or another.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on July 16, 2016, 05:42:30 PM
If we use Berkut's term

Needless to say, his version of "Berkut's terms" has no actual resemblance to my actual views, in a shocking, shocking turn of events.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2016, 09:08:26 PM

are you saying erdogan's primary motivation that drives his actions is the creation of an islamic government (based on whatever sect of islam)?