And we're back!

Main Menu

Coup attempt in Turkey

Started by Maladict, July 15, 2016, 03:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: alfred russel on July 16, 2016, 08:36:41 AM
Quote from: Malicious Intent on July 16, 2016, 07:12:44 AM
Looks like the purges are beginning, starting with the justice system. According to NTV around 2750 judges have been sacked.

For what a shitty coup it was, there were certainly a very large number of judges involved in it.  :P

Turkey is going to be a very sad place. A pretend-democracy dictatorship that will put Russia to shame, fighting a civil war against Kurds and being harassed by ISIS.

The only way I am going to be fine with all that if Erdogan re-conquers the Middle Eastern territories of the Ottoman Empire and keeps order :P

HisMajestyBOB

But now the secularists and anyone else who could stop Erdogan is going to get sacked.
The secular army should have joined in then brushed aside the Gulenists once Erdogan was out. Now they'll get purged.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2016, 01:53:17 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 16, 2016, 01:11:28 AM
Question:  Why is it "Islamist"?  Have announced a theocracy?  Forced religious conversions? Mandatory mosque attendance?  Why don't you break it down for me.

An Islamist is someone who is willing to commit violence to fulfill what he conceives to be the will of Allah.

As far as I know he doesn't claim a direct line from God.  He also hasn't declared Jihad on anyone.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

Apparently Turkey has blocked access to Incirlik base and cut its power.

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on July 16, 2016, 09:44:34 AM

Odds of deal with Putin: rising.

My theory is that either Erdogan knew something was brewing and he apologised to Putin as part of preparations to lure the conspirators into acting, or Putin was approached by the rebels and he sold them out to Erdogan.

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Solmyr on July 16, 2016, 09:44:34 AM

With everyone being nervous about the military right now, they probably just don't want any US and German troops moving around to potentially complicate things. At least I hope so.
Though one would think that kindly asking your allies to suspend any operations for the time being would have been more appropriate. Cutting the power seems a bit excessive.

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on July 15, 2016, 05:14:25 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 15, 2016, 05:04:11 PM
And now just saw one of my good friends is currently in Istanbul airport...

Hope your friend is okay.  I am sure the army wants the airport protected, however.

So she is unsurprisingly rattled but remained safe. I hadn't wanted to bother her last night knowing she was being innudated with people checking in so just kept looking at her last seem status on whatsapp to figure she was okay. :blush:

She won't be able to fly out till the wee hours of the morning so also has joy of over 24 hours in an airport.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 16, 2016, 02:11:14 AM
Yeah...while I doubt the earlier suggestion that it was a "Reichstag Fire" kinda plot, a lot of the fallout will likely be the same nonetheless.

I'm not convinced yet. He was conveniently out of reach at the time.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: Tamas on July 16, 2016, 08:50:02 AM
The only way I am going to be fine with all that if Erdogan re-conquers the Middle Eastern territories of the Ottoman Empire and keeps order :P

Will you be: Hungary for Turkey?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

It is remarkable how many intelligent people throw away good sense when Muslims are involved.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on July 16, 2016, 03:44:00 PM
It is remarkable how many intelligent people throw away good sense when Muslims are involved.

While that's true, I don't see why you'd post that comment at this time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2016, 01:53:17 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 16, 2016, 01:11:28 AM
Question:  Why is it "Islamist"?  Have announced a theocracy?  Forced religious conversions? Mandatory mosque attendance?  Why don't you break it down for me.

An Islamist is someone who is willing to commit violence to fulfill what he conceives to be the will of Allah.

I would consider that a jihadist.

An Islamist is someone who believes that the best form of government is one informed by Islam - i.e., it is a political movement.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah, I'm using the term Islamist to mean a Muslim anti-secularist, who believes government should enshrine Islamic principles and laws etc. Basically the government of Tehran or other Muslim states that function in this way. Turkey has always been notable for having a strictly secular government. Much like the United States, which has a secular government and a large portion of the population who do not respect that, this has lead to tensions. But the anti-secularists in America never made up such a large percentage of the population as they do in Turkey (where I've read they're an outright majority, I think here they probably represent a solid 35-45% of the country), and America also just has much stronger constitutional and democratic traditions protecting it from a fundamentalist Christian power monger remaking the state into an "evangelical regime."

Berkut

Yeah, I consider Islamist to basically be the opposite of a secularist - someone who thinks that Islam is the foundational framework for political and social structures.

Obviously, that is a range from those who think that the state should be secular, but informed by Islamic law, to those who think the state should be an outright theocracy.

A jihadist is an islamist who thinks that those goals should be promoted by violence if necessary.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on July 16, 2016, 03:52:44 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 16, 2016, 03:44:00 PM

While that's true, I don't see why you'd post that comment at this time.

While people spin conspiracy theories?  I mean expect that from Tamas.