News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coup attempt in Turkey

Started by Maladict, July 15, 2016, 03:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Question:  Why is it "Islamist"?  Have announced a theocracy?  Forced religious conversions? Mandatory mosque attendance?  Why don't you break it down for me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 16, 2016, 12:51:09 AM
Worst coup ever.

Yeah.  I mean, I am no expert on coups, but even I know that one of the first things they should have done was to arrest the president.  That they didn't do it is baffling. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on July 15, 2016, 07:31:24 PM
Obama backs the Islamist. Hmm...

Bro, I think you and I have a history here.  I think I got some Republican cred.  So I feel justified in telling you you might be jumping the shark this election.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 16, 2016, 01:11:28 AM
Question:  Why is it "Islamist"?  Have announced a theocracy?  Forced religious conversions? Mandatory mosque attendance?  Why don't you break it down for me.

An Islamist is someone who is willing to commit violence to fulfill what he conceives to be the will of Allah.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 16, 2016, 12:52:31 AM
Hey, at least a lot of people died, that should make you guys a little happy.

Well at least Raz can do a victory dance about this.

I dread the implications of this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Yeah...while I doubt the earlier suggestion that it was a "Reichstag Fire" kinda plot, a lot of the fallout will likely be the same nonetheless. 

Josquius

So it failed. That's an anti climax.

That it was a erdogan conspiracy seems to be a strong view in turkey.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Quote from: Monoriu on July 16, 2016, 01:26:09 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on July 16, 2016, 12:51:09 AM
Worst coup ever.

Yeah.  I mean, I am no expert on coups, but even I know that one of the first things they should have done was to arrest the president.  That they didn't do it is baffling.

This is looking like enough of a fiasco, that even if they got Erdo, I think they'd still fail, just a bit bloodier (including a likely dead Erdo), but with his cronies and sympathetic generals still coming out on top.

OttoVonBismarck

Erdogan has a cult of personality going, if the coup had failed but killed him in the process I'd probably still view that as a net win.

To be honest I do question NATO's position with Turkey, we've never had an openly fascist NATO country and now we will. I mean Turkish membership in NATO has had a ton of geopolitical advantages but if it becomes an alliance in which we're bound to defend a fascist country from attack it just leads me back to questioning the value of NATO going forward--something I already question given most European states do not take NATO obligations seriously and just view it as a mechanism to get guaranteed American protection.

Monoriu

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 16, 2016, 02:37:16 AM
Erdogan has a cult of personality going, if the coup had failed but killed him in the process I'd probably still view that as a net win.

To be honest I do question NATO's position with Turkey, we've never had an openly fascist NATO country and now we will. I mean Turkish membership in NATO has had a ton of geopolitical advantages but if it becomes an alliance in which we're bound to defend a fascist country from attack it just leads me back to questioning the value of NATO going forward--something I already question given most European states do not take NATO obligations seriously and just view it as a mechanism to get guaranteed American protection.

The alternative is to kick Turkey out of the alliance, so that they can join Russia?  Why can't you have a fascist NATO country?  :unsure:

OttoVonBismarck

Join Russia in what? This isn't the Cold War. The biggest value Turkey ever offered was as a site for US ballistic missiles--something that we no longer even need in Turkey.

celedhring

Turkey is a platform in the Middle East, which is where the fun is nowadays. Granted, it's a tremendously unreliable ally in that regard, but chucking it away wouldn't make things better.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 16, 2016, 02:37:16 AM

Wasn't Portugal a dictatorship when it joined?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Wasn't Portugal a dictatorship when it joined?

It was dictatorship with the dressing up of a democracy, so pretty much what Turkey will end up with.

Franco was reportedly offered membership, too.

garbon

QuoteHere's a breakdown of the death toll in the Turkish coup, as provided by General Umit Dundar, the newly appointed acting chief of the general staff. More than 190 people dead:

41 police officers,
Two soldiers
47 civilians
104 people described as "coup plotters."

A further 1154 people have been wounded.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.