News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coup attempt in Turkey

Started by Maladict, July 15, 2016, 03:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/turkey-coup-live-updates-explosion-8431256

QuoteBREAKING: Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim says a group within the military engaged in an attempted coup.

Valmy

Well this is going to end well.

2016 sure is a shit year.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Sounds like shit is going down for real.  I'll get to see my first Turkish military coup.  :)

merithyn

It's kind of a requirement in their constitution, isn't it? That if the Prime Minister starts to try to make the country non-secular, the military is supposed to stage a coup to oust him/her. Yes?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Solmyr

It's strange that I'm actually rooting for the Turkish military here. But I am not sure they are going to succeed...

Valmy

I am pretty sure they will not succeed. But either way this is going to get really ugly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Maladict

Quote from: Solmyr on July 15, 2016, 03:27:58 PM
It's strange that I'm actually rooting for the Turkish military here. But I am not sure they are going to succeed...

Not that strange.

Maladict

9.28pm 21:28
Military claims takeover of Turkey

The Turkish military says in a statement that it has taken over, according to Reuters.

Tamas

Quote from: Maladict on July 15, 2016, 03:31:37 PM

The Turkish military says in a statement that it has taken over, according to Reuters.

Let's hope is true. Erdogan is really, really, really not the right guy for Turkey in these turbulent times

Solmyr

How much popular support can there be expected for the military in this situation?

OttoVonBismarck

Too early to have any legit information but everything I'm reading suggests only a small portion of the military is involved, which means it is probably doomed to fail.

I wouldn't put it past Erdogan to have staged a "Reichstag fire" style coup so he can come back and increase his power even further, maybe this time aimed at weakening the rest of the military.

Razgovory

Looks like Languish may get what it wants.  Maybe a lot of people will die as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on July 15, 2016, 03:36:41 PM
Quote from: Maladict on July 15, 2016, 03:31:37 PM

Let's hope is true. Erdogan is really, really, really not the right guy for Turkey in these turbulent times

Yeah because a military coup is the right thing for Turkey. Come on.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 15, 2016, 03:41:54 PM
Looks like Languish may get what it wants.  Maybe a lot of people will die as well.

So right Raz this totally made my day. :rolleyes:

Maladict

QuoteLATEST: The Greek military has put its forces on alert following reports of an attempted military coup in Turkey

BYZANTIUM RETURNS!  :w00t: