News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coup attempt in Turkey

Started by Maladict, July 15, 2016, 03:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

Turkish media is reporting there's a hostage situation at a military command building, and that "Erdogan is safe." So this is likely a small and ineffectual attempt. Any serious coup would've had enough of the military involved that they'd have been able to take Erdogan into custody immediately, since that hasn't happened I think it has little chance of success.

I don't think a coup would be good for Turkey; but Erdogan is a terrible force in Turkish history.

merithyn

Erdogan is on vacation outside of Turkey, isn't he?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2016, 03:42:39 PM
Quote from: Tamas on July 15, 2016, 03:36:41 PM
Quote from: Maladict on July 15, 2016, 03:31:37 PM

9.28pm 21:28
Military claims takeover of Turkey

The Turkish military says in a statement that it has taken over, according to Reuters.

Let's hope is true. Erdogan is really, really, really not the right guy for Turkey in these turbulent times

Yeah because a military coup is the right thing for Turkey. Come on.

Erdogan will die or be couped. He will not leave powe any other way now, ever

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2016, 03:42:39 PM
Yeah because a military coup is the right thing for Turkey. Come on.
Righter than Erdogan.  It's a shame on Turkey that the military has been its strongest democratic institution, but it is what it is.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: merithyn on July 15, 2016, 03:46:34 PM
Erdogan is on vacation outside of Turkey, isn't he?

No clue--I don't follow his movements. But if he was then I'd say the band of officers who staged this have severely miscalculated. Even if they get a form of upper hand, with Erdogan out of country he'll be able to become a seriously destabilizing force against the military junta, and possibly be the ideological leader of a civil war. The only way this would've "worked" would be for Erdogan to wake up with guns pointed at him and overwhelming military force seizing key organs of state ASAP.

It does sound like in addition to the hostage situation at Military HQ the military has also seized the state broadcaster.

Liep

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 15, 2016, 03:40:47 PM
I wouldn't put it past Erdogan to have staged a "Reichstag fire" style coup so he can come back and increase his power even further, maybe this time aimed at weakening the rest of the military.

That was my first thought.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Maladict

QuoteBREAKING NEWS: TURKISH BROADCASTER TRT IS UNDER ARMY CONTROL.

QuoteThe Turkish army has taken over the state broadcaster TRT, will make an announcement soon

Valmy

I thought it was interesting the military was able to shut down all internet in the country so quickly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Crazy_Ivan80

Tourist season is now over in Turkey.

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2016, 03:50:40 PM
I thought it was interesting the military was able to shut down all internet in the country so quickly.
I'm sure every country has the ability to do that by flipping a switch.

Tamas

I wonder, looking back in ten years, will 2016 be seen as a freak year when everyone entire bonkers, or a slow buildup to a chaotic and sad decade

mongers

Bosporus bridges closed, tanks at Istanbul airport, some activity in Ankara; might this be a regional based coup, in reaction to the hard-line conservative forces Erdogan is whipping up.

If your a Liberal, gay or transgender person living in Istanbul, who do you support in this power struggle?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Maladict

Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2016, 03:50:40 PM

The government has that ability and had used it many times.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2016, 03:43:35 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 15, 2016, 03:41:54 PM
Looks like Languish may get what it wants.  Maybe a lot of people will die as well.

So right Raz this totally made my day. :rolleyes:

Made some people's day.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017