The Prospects for Alien Life on Titan Keep Getting Better

Started by jimmy olsen, July 11, 2016, 12:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I dunno, I feel like if we found life on Titan (or any other body in the solar system than Earth) everyone would think it was neat for a few days, and would quickly move on.  Obviously the Timmys would jizz all over the place about it a bit longer, but don't most biologists (exobiologists?) already assume life is not unique to Earth?  So it would merely confirm what they have already anticipated.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 11, 2016, 11:55:13 AM
Quote from: Caliga on July 11, 2016, 06:51:31 AM
:mellow:

Why would it be so exciting to find bacteria on Titan?  Is there anyone non-retarded out there who still thinks life could only possibly exist on Earth? :hmm:

It would indicate that life was very common as otherwise it would be highly unlikely for a single planetary system to have developed life twice. Also, given that life is common, we would then wonder why we are so isolated, perhaps life is common but intelligent life rare, perhaps advanced civilisations are very transitory. Just a few crappy bacteria woyuld greatly extend our knowledge on this topic.

Recent human history suggests to me that intelligence doesn't survive mass communication.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on July 11, 2016, 12:25:32 PM
I dunno, I feel like if we found life on Titan (or any other body in the solar system than Earth) everyone would think it was neat for a few days, and would quickly move on.

Yeah? Lots of really important and groundbreaking scientific discoveries receive this treatment. What difference does 'public excitement' make?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

With regard to intelligent life, I would assume any civilizations much more advanced than our own are machine-based only.  I always felt like The Borg was the most likely alien 'race' we'd encounter.  Them, or the little tiny dudes in Batteries Not Included.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2016, 12:28:05 PM
Yeah? Lots of really important and groundbreaking scientific discoveries receive this treatment. What difference does 'public excitement' make?
I dunno, not much I guess.  I'm just trying to say I don't think this would be the epoch-shifting event that I am guessing Tim thinks it would be.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on July 11, 2016, 12:30:05 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2016, 12:28:05 PM
I dunno, not much I guess.  I'm just trying to say I don't think this would be the epoch-shifting event that I am guessing Tim thinks it would be.

Oh no it wouldn't be. Just another data point in our exploration of space.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

fromtia

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 11, 2016, 11:55:13 AM
Quote from: Caliga on July 11, 2016, 06:51:31 AM
:mellow:

Why would it be so exciting to find bacteria on Titan?  Is there anyone non-retarded out there who still thinks life could only possibly exist on Earth? :hmm:

It would indicate that life was very common as otherwise it would be highly unlikely for a single planetary system to have developed life twice. Also, given that life is common, we would then wonder why we are so isolated, perhaps life is common but intelligent life rare, perhaps advanced civilisations are very transitory. Just a few crappy bacteria woyuld greatly extend our knowledge on this topic.

Indeed. We might have to seriously think about Fermis paradox a bit more, as everything we previously thought about the incidence of life in the universe would be proven wrong.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

fromtia

Quote from: Caliga on July 11, 2016, 12:29:15 PM
With regard to intelligent life, I would assume any civilizations much more advanced than our own are machine-based only.  I always felt like The Borg was the most likely alien 'race' we'd encounter.  Them, or the little tiny dudes in Batteries Not Included.

I agree, I think the likelihood is contact with a machine intelligence, or even something drone like. It may very well be profoundly hostile, so we should probably just go quiet over here in a corner until we know whats going on. Greg Bear and Alistair Reynolds both wrote great books on the subject.

Hopefully it will be the Borg, because they were fucking crap and easily defeated.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

fromtia

Richard Hakluyt

derspiess

I vote we send Tim there to investigate personally. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2016, 11:48:47 AM
I fail to see why this is a good thing.

'Cause if we send Timmay there he won't be here.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2016, 03:41:31 PM
I vote we send Tim there to investigate personally.

Still too close. Send him to Wolf 359.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive