The Prospects for Alien Life on Titan Keep Getting Better

Started by jimmy olsen, July 11, 2016, 12:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Sweet! :punk:

http://gizmodo.com/the-prospects-for-alien-life-on-titan-keep-getting-bett-1783222440

The Prospects for Alien Life on Titan Keep Getting Better

Maddie Stone
Wednesday 4:20pm
· Filed to: astrobiology

Saturn's moon Titan is a frigid hellscape by Earth standards, but it's also one of the most hopeful spots for discovering alien life in our solar system. A new scientific paper hints that conditions on Titan's surface might be favorable for the chemistry of life to emerge.

Titan is the only other world we know of whose surface is shaped by lakes, rivers, and rainfall. Except deep in Saturn's rings, it's not water that flows, but methane. Even so, Titan's remarkably Earth-like appearance has led astrobiologists to wonder whether some sort of cold-adapted, non water-based life form could emerge.

But before we can seriously talk about life on Titan, we need to take a step back and establish whether certain basic conditions exist. Even at temperatures of -290 degrees Fahrenheit (-179 degrees Celsius), there needs to be enough available energy for life's building blocks to form.

"In order for anything to happen on Titan, you need to be able to do chemistry at a low temperature," Cornell chemist Martin Rahm told Gizmodo. Rahm's latest research, published this week in the Proceedings of the National Academies of Sciences, identifies a mechanism by which energy from the faint sun might be absorbed through Titan's cloudy atmosphere.

One of the key molecules the Cassini and Huygens missions have identified in Titan's atmosphere is hydrogen cyanide (HCN), an important precursor to life on Earth. Prior studies indicated that on Titan's surface, HCN can react to form long chains, or polymers, called polyimine. Now, Rahm's models are showing that under Titan-like environmental conditions, polyimine is both flexible and good at absorbing sunlight.

"It turns out, different conformations of this material absorb different wavelengths of light, including wavelengths that are accessible on the surface of Titan," Rahm said. "This could provide energy."

Cornell astronomer and co-author Jonathan Lunine noted that nine years ago, a National Academies of Sciences report concluded, "If life is an intrinsic property of chemical reactivity, life should exist on Titan." The polyimine result, he added, is interesting enough "that it merits a search for such polymers on Titan's surface—which will have to be done in the exploration of Titan beyond Cassini."

In other words, it's time to go alien hunting on Titan.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Timmy, you need to start a megathread in which you post stories that belong in megathreads you already started.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 11, 2016, 12:25:20 AM
Timmy, you need to start a megathread in which you post stories that belong in megathreads you already started.

I don't think I have a megathread on Titan. :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

:mellow:

Why would it be so exciting to find bacteria on Titan?  Is there anyone non-retarded out there who still thinks life could only possibly exist on Earth? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

I know I started one for all of the news stories that Tim missed, but it got lost in the deluge of Timmay threads.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on July 11, 2016, 07:26:45 AM

I know I started one for all of the news stories that Tim missed, but it got lost in the deluge of Timmay threads.  :(

Well you've been pretty good as of late at starting a slew of your own nonsensical threads. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on July 11, 2016, 06:51:31 AM

Why would it be so exciting to find bacteria on Titan?  Is there anyone non-retarded out there who still thinks life could only possibly exist on Earth? :hmm:

Raz? We had a discussion about extra-terrestrial bacteria at some point.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

I really hope they don't fine any signs of life in our solar system. We need to prospect and industrialise it ASAP, and it won't happen if there is a risk of stepping on some obscure Mars bacteria

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Proof is nice, and what Tampax said.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

fromtia

I'm only interested if it's the green lady that does it with Captain Kirk. Is it her?
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

lustindarkness

We can send Timmy to Titan. That way there would be life in Titan. Easy.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2016, 11:48:47 AM
I fail to see why this is a good thing.

How is it a bad thing? I think it is just a thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

It would indicate that life was very common as otherwise it would be highly unlikely for a single planetary system to have developed life twice. Also, given that life is common, we would then wonder why we are so isolated, perhaps life is common but intelligent life rare, perhaps advanced civilisations are very transitory. Just a few crappy bacteria woyuld greatly extend our knowledge on this topic.