Your Country's GDP /GNP, Are You A Brake Or Driver Of It?

Started by mongers, July 09, 2016, 08:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

are public defenders whose 200k debt is discharged in loan forgiveness = parasites? :hmm:

but seriously, I can't think of any legitimate profession that regularly destroys twice the value they earn.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2016, 02:01:40 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 09, 2016, 11:53:49 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 09, 2016, 08:47:25 PM
I don't understand.  My impression, which may be wrong, is that every dollar spent in the economy adds to GDP.  So everybody is a driver, the only difference is to what extent.

I think he's asking how much discretionary consumer spending do you do.  How much stuff (or services, like luxurious overseas vacations) that you don't need do you buy.

Probably.  In those terms I don't spend much generally.  As my income increased I have not felt the need to surround myself with a lot of the status symbols that seem to be attractive to many of my peers.  So in that regard I am probably a drag on GDP (although my favourite BC Wineries, local restaurants, butcher, grocer etc might think otherwise  :D )

I spend a lot of time providing pro bono advice to a number of non profits.  That is also probably a drag on GDP since they don't have to otherwise purchase those services.  But it probably also saves the state and taxpayer a lot in the long run.  So I would like to think I am a net contributor to society aside from the taxes I pay.

Interesting, I think that's true up and down a lot of the income/wealth spectrum, just the totems change.

Good on your pro-bono work, I believe JR does a lot too. A wise use of your time, which is something my original question tangentially touches upon.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

I think we spend slightly less than half of our income, the rest goes into investments. Many of those investments are in companies overseas, I like to think that the dividends from those investments make me into an earner of foreign exchange and thus beneficial to the UK economy  :hmm:

Brazen

I make my company money by selling immaterial concepts at very little outlay or material cost. Unfortunately, we've recently been taken over by a Switzerland-based parent company...

I have spent all my income on bills and discretionary spending by the end few the month, barring a small instant access savings account which I need when the cats or car break down.