Germany finally updates archaic rape law

Started by jimmy olsen, July 08, 2016, 12:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

About damn time. The example I bolded is disgraceful.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36726095

QuoteGermany rape law: 'No means No' law passed

7 July 2016

Germany's parliament has passed a new law defining rape, clarifying that "No means No", even if a victim did not fight back.

Critics believe Germany has long lagged behind other developed nations when it comes to its rape laws.

The issue was again brought to the fore after a number of sex attacks on women in Cologne on New Year's Eve.

The vote was passed by a huge majority on Thursday in the Bundestag, where MPs stood and cheered the result.

The new law classifies groping as a sex crime and makes it easier to prosecute assaults committed by large group.

It also makes it easier to deport migrants who commit sex offences.

What was under discussion?

Under the previous law, defined in Section 177 of the criminal code (in German), victims should have defended themselves for an act to constitute rape. Simply saying "No" was not sufficient to find the defendant guilty, and there was no attempt to define what constituted consent.

The inadequacy of the law meant many perpetrators got away with rape, according to a 2014 study of 107 cases by the German association of women's counselling centres and rape crisis centres (BFF).

The authors said that in every case, sexual assaults had been committed against the victim's unambiguous will, which had been communicated verbally to the perpetrator. However, they said, either charges were not filed or there was no court conviction.

The study went on to note that the law placed too much focus on whether the victim resisted and did not reflect real-life scenarios in which people were raped.

Only one in 10 rapes is reported in Germany currently, according to Germany's n-tv news website. And of those, the conviction rate is only 10%.

What was the response?

"In the past there were cases where women were raped but the perpetrators couldn't be punished,'' Minister for Women Manuela Schwesig said.

"The change in the law will help increase the number of victims who choose to press charges, lower the number of criminal prosecutions that are shelved and ensure sexual assaults are properly punished."

What will the new regulations do?

They will take into account both physical and verbal cues from the victim when assessing whether rape took place, meaning, in theory, that saying "No" could prove a lack of consent and, therefore, rape.

What prompted this change?

Germany has long been backward when it comes to its rape laws, say campaigners - pointing out that marital rape became a criminal offence only in 1997.

A number of prominent cases have pushed the issue into the spotlight.

The wave of attacks on New Year's Eve in Cologne shocked Germans, though prosecutions have been minimal and many were aghast to learn that, once again, assault could only be proven under German law if the victim resisted.

On Thursday, a 21-year-old Iraqi and an Algerian of 26 became the first men to be convicted of sexual assault when a Cologne court gave them suspended one-year sentences.

The attacks prompted a campaign for reform under the hashtag "NeinHeisstNein" (No means No).

And, in a case that has sparked an outcry in Germany, two men were acquitted of drugging and raping German model Gina-Lisa Lohfink - despite having uploaded a video of what took place, in which she was reportedly heard saying, "Stop it, stop it" and "No".

Not only were the men cleared of wrongdoing, but Ms Lohfink was fined €24,000 (£21,000; $27,000) for falsely testifying.

She has appealed against the the charges. The case has been compared to the Stanford University sexual assault furore in the United States.

Will the new law solve the problem?

Campaigners say the new law is a good start, but does not go far enough.

They have expressed concern that the law will not give adequate protection to victims who cannot clearly convey their lack of consent - such as those who have been drugged.

There are also plans to tighten the law governing sexual harassment and group assaults.

What's the next ambition?

Activist Kristina Lunz said it was unacceptable that the vast majority of rapes were still going unpunished in Germany.

"Of course it should be 'Yes means Yes'," says Ms Lunz, referring to a 2015 law passed in California that makes the legal standard for sex affirmative verbal consent.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Pretty shitty old law there.

"Of course it should be 'Yes means Yes'," says Ms Lunz, referring to a 2015 law passed in California that makes the legal standard for sex affirmative verbal consent.
I AM GOING TO SEX YOU NOW.
DO I HAVE YOUR CONSENT.
IN PREPERATION FOR THIS EVENING I STORED A CONDOM AND THESE FORMAL CONTRACTS OF CONSENT IN MY WALLET.
PLEASE READ AND SIGN AND WE WILL GET TO THE SEXING WITHIN 24 HOURS.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote"Of course it should be 'Yes means Yes'," says Ms Lunz, referring to a 2015 law passed in California that makes the legal standard for sex affirmative verbal consent.

Lots of couples are going to gaol for simultaneously raping each other.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on July 10, 2016, 12:31:00 PM
Quote"Of course it should be 'Yes means Yes'," says Ms Lunz, referring to a 2015 law passed in California that makes the legal standard for sex affirmative verbal consent.

I wonder if this is just shoddy journalism. Quick googling gave details of a 2014 law passed in relation to investigating rape allegations on college campuses. In 2015, a law was passed making it mandatory that high schools taught yes means yes as part oh health curriculum.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on July 10, 2016, 06:22:26 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 10, 2016, 12:31:00 PM

I wonder if this is just shoddy journalism. Quick googling gave details of a 2014 law passed in relation to investigating rape allegations on college campuses. In 2015, a law was passed making it mandatory that high schools taught yes means yes as part oh health curriculum.

What do they teach happens when neither party has said yes and they still have sex?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Well they probably keep teaching that both parties should say yes in future encounters. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.