News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

My Vacay in pics [pic heavy thread]

Started by Josephus, July 08, 2016, 10:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Habbaku on July 08, 2016, 12:52:10 PM
How'd you manage the 'reward' pic?  Long zoom-lens?  Ask for permission first?

Got any more?

Telephoto lens.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

So how much of the fortress that withstood the siege is still standing Jo Jo?

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on July 08, 2016, 10:38:21 AM
Here's some pics from my vacation. Can you guess where I was? (the two of you on my FB feed may know already)...I've dropped a few hints, though these pics were taken with Languish in mind. Those who indulge and stick to the end will be rewarded. ;)

There's only one other person you're FB friends with Jos? :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2016, 03:20:16 PM
Quote from: Josephus on July 08, 2016, 10:38:21 AM
Here's some pics from my vacation. Can you guess where I was? (the two of you on my FB feed may know already)...I've dropped a few hints, though these pics were taken with Languish in mind. Those who indulge and stick to the end will be rewarded. ;)

There's only one other person you're FB friends with Jos? :huh:

i know you're one.  ;) I was slightly exaggerating though...I think it's four.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2016, 03:13:01 PM
So how much of the fortress that withstood the siege is still standing Jo Jo?

AFAIK all the fortresses that were sieged back in 1565 (St. Elmo, St. Angelo, St. Michael) are still standing nowadays, but I have no idea if there were renovations or modifications done afterwards. Valletta itself was built right after the Siege.

Josephus

Many of the fortresses have been renovated. Fort St. Elmo, where the war museum now stands, has been renovated very recently. The walled city in Gozo, the smaller island, called Victoria is currently being renovated as well. All thanks to EU money ;). They also just recently rebuilt the entrance to Valletta.
Civis Romanus Sum

Maladict

Quote from: Josephus on July 09, 2016, 08:18:45 AM
Many of the fortresses have been renovated. Fort St. Elmo, where the war museum now stands, has been renovated very recently. The walled city in Gozo, the smaller island, called Victoria is currently being renovated as well. All thanks to EU money ;). They also just recently rebuilt the entrance to Valletta.

They were doing some terrifying redevelopment around fort Tigne when I was there about ten years ago.

And I'm pretty sure the original St. Elmo was almost completely destroyed during the siege.

Josephus

Quote from: Maladict on July 09, 2016, 10:34:54 AM

And I'm pretty sure the original St. Elmo was almost completely destroyed during the siege.

It was reconstructed after the seige and the Brits renovated it again in the 19th century. It also took some hits in WWII...so yeah, a lot of work has gone into it over the years
Civis Romanus Sum

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Archy

Nice! Was there some years ago, was one of my best holidays ever. :moon: