News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hong Kong question

Started by Siege, July 06, 2016, 05:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Why so many economic freedom indexes place Hong Kong on the very top or near the top?

Is Hong Kong really the land of economic opportunities?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

garbon

Yes. Go shack up with the Monos.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

It is, if you have the ability to seize them. Not everyone in Hong Kong turns out to be a winner.

The Minsky Moment

As long as you don't sell books . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Monoriu

1. We have low tax rates.  For corporate, it is 16-17%.  For individuals, the max is 15%, though in practice only the top 0.1% pay that much.  Half of the working population pays no taxes.  The other half often pays less than 10%.  It is also a salary tax, not an income tax.  So stuff like dividends, interest, lottery winnings etc are not taxed.  No sales tax.  There is no US style Social Security or state pension.  You are on your own in retirement.  Government spending is like 20% of GDP, compared with the usual 40-50% in the western world.  There is no collective bargaining, and union membership is very low. 

2. Hong Kong is extremely expensive.  The rent levels are very high, and the banks are reluctant to lend money to new businesses.  HK banks generally rely on mortgages and credit card loans.  They don't really lend money to start-ups.  Having said that, you can make a decent living if you make it to the professions and senior management.  The old knowing somebody or having a connected father trick works best.  But otherwise, you can still make it if you do well in the exams.  Plenty of poor people score well in the exams and go on to become successful lawyers and doctors. 

Monoriu

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 06, 2016, 06:38:06 PM
As long as you don't sell books . . .

Depends on which kind of books :ph34r:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on July 06, 2016, 06:36:44 PM
It is, if you have the ability to seize them. Not everyone in Hong Kong turns out to be a winner.

Siegy thinks he's got a good chance by taking the civil service exam and making nifty cascade patterns on the ScanTron answer sheet.  200 POINTS FOR JUST WRITING MY NAME = BONUS

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 06, 2016, 06:41:42 PM

Siegy thinks he's got a good chance by taking the civil service exam and making nifty cascade patterns on the ScanTron answer sheet.  200 POINTS FOR JUST WRITING MY NAME = BONUS

In Hong Kong?  I am not aware that he knows Chinese, though he will of course ace the English part.  He also doesn't have a Hong Kong ID card. 

CountDeMoney

I can't wait until we nuke you.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 06, 2016, 06:45:05 PM
I can't wait until we nuke you.
You don't have to.

Stir up trouble in HK.
Wait for China's response.
Mount a pro-HK propaganda campaign.
Attack Beijing to protect HK from the Evil Empire.
Wait for China to firebomb HK.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

You don't have to stir up trouble in Hong Kong.  We are already stirring up trouble ourselves almost every day :lol:

The Panama papers happily revealed that a lot of the relatives of senior party officials have moved to Hong Kong, and they have bought up tons of stuff here.  So firebombing Hong Kong isn't exactly consistent with their interests.  They still need Hong Kong to an extent, though it is a matter of debate if they need HKers. 

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 06, 2016, 06:41:42 PM

There's an exam.... :huh:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

Do chinese still believe in jew magic?
██████
██████
██████

Siege

Quote from: Monoriu on July 06, 2016, 06:39:40 PM
1. We have low tax rates.  For corporate, it is 16-17%.  For individuals, the max is 15%, though in practice only the top 0.1% pay that much.  Half of the working population pays no taxes.  The other half often pays less than 10%.  It is also a salary tax, not an income tax.  So stuff like dividends, interest, lottery winnings etc are not taxed.  No sales tax.  There is no US style Social Security or state pension.  You are on your own in retirement.  Government spending is like 20% of GDP, compared with the usual 40-50% in the western world.  There is no collective bargaining, and union membership is very low. 

2. Hong Kong is extremely expensive.  The rent levels are very high, and the banks are reluctant to lend money to new businesses.  HK banks generally rely on mortgages and credit card loans.  They don't really lend money to start-ups.  Having said that, you can make a decent living if you make it to the professions and senior management.  The old knowing somebody or having a connected father trick works best.  But otherwise, you can still make it if you do well in the exams.  Plenty of poor people score well in the exams and go on to become successful lawyers and doctors. 

Thank you. That's a great set up. Low government expenses and low taxes always win. A little surprised that corporate taxes are higher than individual taxes, but the salary tax vs income tax probably explain the economic boom, as observed from outside.

I favor a flat tax rate for everyone and no corporate taxes, since I see it as double taxation, but the salary tax plus corporate tax seems a very effective solution to achieve the same goal of a low tax drag on the economy and a higher circulation rate for investments.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on July 07, 2016, 01:34:21 AM
Do chinese still believe in jew magic?

What do you mean by Jew magic? :unsure: