Shit I've Just About Had It Up To Here With, Episode 126: "Tidying"

Started by CountDeMoney, July 06, 2016, 10:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I get rid of things in purges every few years. I always end up storing some stuff somewhere that I don't see for a few years. It then makes it very easy to get rid of things that I no longer have attachment to. I think next year, I'll need to visit my father and pull a purge on the things that he is storing for me - though I know many of those are beloved books and I'm not going to want to purge those.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: Berkut on July 07, 2016, 08:51:42 AM
I need to convince my wife of this.

She is a proto-hoarder, without doubt.

We have boxes full of old toys from when the kids were toddlers that she gets pissed off if I try to throw away because she is convinced someone will want them some day. Drives me up the fucking wall.

Especially when she is insisting we keep absolute crap that isn't even in a box, it is shoved on a shelf in the garage covered with dirt and hasn't been used in several years.

"Don't throw that away! I am going to give it to charity!"

You haven't given it to charity in the last three years, you aren't going to give it to charity in the next three years.

I've just started throwing shit away without telling her.

My mother keeps shitloads of stuff from when me and my brother were toddlers/childs/kids/tweens/etc... too. She keeps telling me that our children may have use for them, but it's mostly for sentimental reasons. She's a massive hoarder too.

I have lived in four different apartments in the past 5 years, and I'm likely going to move again this summer. I have grown accustomed to keep very few things around that I feel like I *need*. I live light. Technology has helped me massively in this regard, since stuff that I really treasure like books, music and movies take up literally zero space nowadays.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on July 07, 2016, 09:01:22 AM
Quote from: Berkut on July 07, 2016, 08:51:42 AM
I need to convince my wife of this.

She is a proto-hoarder, without doubt.

We have boxes full of old toys from when the kids were toddlers that she gets pissed off if I try to throw away because she is convinced someone will want them some day. Drives me up the fucking wall.

Especially when she is insisting we keep absolute crap that isn't even in a box, it is shoved on a shelf in the garage covered with dirt and hasn't been used in several years.

"Don't throw that away! I am going to give it to charity!"

You haven't given it to charity in the last three years, you aren't going to give it to charity in the next three years.

I've just started throwing shit away without telling her.

My mother keeps shitloads of stuff from when me and my brother were toddlers/childs/kids/tweens/etc... too. She keeps telling me that our children may have use for them, but it's mostly for sentimental reasons. She's a massive hoarder too.

My mother got rid of nearly everything when she moved. I think I've a box or two of books for kids and she has a box containing some papercrafts/artwork we made as  children.

When she was getting rid of things, she didn't tell my sisters as she knew they would get up in arms. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

To be clear, the crap in question is NOT potentially nostalgic toys or anything like that.

It is just...crap. Like old roller skates, or stupid little shit they played with when they were 4 and is now broken, dirty, or just worthless.

But she is convinced that someone somewhere wants it. Charity. Sell it on craigslist. give it to a neighbor with little ones.

I mean some of that is fine, but only some of it. Plenty of this is just plain crap.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

I'm planning on moving in a few months, and holding myself to the rule that I will only move what I can fit in a compact car in one trip. :)

Getting rid of all my furniture will make this a lot easier (it is old and cheap and due for replacement anyway).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014