News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rio Olympics - Shaping up to be a disaster?

Started by Berkut, July 05, 2016, 08:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on July 05, 2016, 08:44:09 AM
How in the hell did Rio get the Olympics when it is such a disaster?
Or is this being exaggerated for journalistic lolz?

Exagerated?  Maybe no more than usual.  But when a government wants to do something, it can move very fast.

See, the 1976 Olympics in Montreal.  A few months before the beginning, there were talks of disaster.  Same for Athenes and Sotchi.
It turned out to be pretty much fine, from a public point of view.

Of course, for Quebec, we had to pay the bill, and we still do.  Lots of fraud, corruption, union strikes&empowerement, huge deficits, an olympic stadium that is not good at all for music, not really good for baseball, definately not good enough for football, took 30 years to get a decent roof on it and it has to be permanent, and has structural issues that are costly to repair.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DGuller

Quote from: The Larch on July 06, 2016, 08:11:27 AM
What do they lack to have a fully developed modern economy, then?
Strong rule of law, for one.

derspiess

Quote from: viper37 on July 06, 2016, 08:43:01 AM
Quote from: Berkut on July 05, 2016, 08:44:09 AM
How in the hell did Rio get the Olympics when it is such a disaster?
Or is this being exaggerated for journalistic lolz?

Exagerated?  Maybe no more than usual.  But when a government wants to do something, it can move very fast.

See, the 1976 Olympics in Montreal.  A few months before the beginning, there were talks of disaster.  Same for Athenes and Sotchi.
It turned out to be pretty much fine, from a public point of view.

Of course, for Quebec, we had to pay the bill, and we still do.  Lots of fraud, corruption, union strikes&empowerement, huge deficits, an olympic stadium that is not good at all for music, not really good for baseball, definately not good enough for football, took 30 years to get a decent roof on it and it has to be permanent, and has structural issues that are costly to repair.

You have a lot more faith in the Brazilian government than you probably should. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on July 06, 2016, 08:44:20 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 06, 2016, 08:11:27 AM
What do they lack to have a fully developed modern economy, then?
Strong rule of law, for one.

"Third World" is a pretty meaningless term these days, but I'd agree with you that the main thing holding Brazil back from being an advanced economy is that such a huge percentage of their economic activity is in the shadow economy.  GDP per capita isn't that great compared to, say, Argentina, so they have a ways to go there as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Argentina itself has a pretty big shadow economy, FWIW.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 06, 2016, 09:15:46 AM

I remember our Spanish posters saying there was a fairly big one there as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on July 06, 2016, 09:20:00 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 06, 2016, 09:15:46 AM

I remember our Spanish posters saying there was a fairly big one there as well.

And even more in Italy, that doesn't make them third world.

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on July 06, 2016, 08:50:27 AM
You have a lot more faith in the Brazilian government than you probably should. 
I think the Olympics are going to be okay.  But the aftermath, it may look like Greece.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

If you guys (Spicey, Larch, Valmy) are defining "Third World" as any country with a shadow economy, then every country in the world is Third World.  I don't think that that is a very good definition.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

The Larch

Quote from: grumbler on July 06, 2016, 10:44:09 AM
If you guys (Spicey, Larch, Valmy) are defining "Third World" as any country with a shadow economy, then every country in the world is Third World.  I don't think that that is a very good definition.

I'm not, I was challenging that assumption.

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on July 06, 2016, 11:32:05 AM
Quote from: grumbler on July 06, 2016, 10:44:09 AM

I'm not, I was challenging that assumption.

You should challenge that assumption in the thread where the assumption has been made, then.  No one has made that assumption in this thread.

Bayraktar!

Hamilcar

TBH, when I visit the U.S., large parts feel like a third world country.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Hamilcar on July 06, 2016, 12:20:04 PM
TBH, when I visit the U.S., large parts feel like a third world country.

You mean Capitol Hill in Washington DC?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom