Zika, drugs, and medals: The Rio Olympics thread

Started by celedhring, July 02, 2016, 04:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 20, 2016, 12:47:08 PM
NBC ratings are down, 20% in some cases, maybe that will make them learn to just show the damn things & stop trying to build stories.

I think their biggest problem is everything is time delayed.  Why would anyone want to tune in to watch something on American network TV when they can stream it live - or watch a better network from another country that shows the events live (like the CBC and TSN)

dps

Overall, NBC is the worst American network when it comes to covering sports. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on August 20, 2016, 04:19:18 PM

All the more depressing considering once upon a time it wasn't that way.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2016, 04:50:10 PM
Quote from: dps on August 20, 2016, 04:19:18 PM

All the more depressing considering once upon a time it wasn't that way.

I miss NBC AFC football. Fuck Fox.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 20, 2016, 08:13:24 PM

Yeah, the NBC coverage of the AFC in the 1980s had it all over today's goofy CBS bullshit.  From Bryant Gumbel at the beginning of the decade to Bob Costas at the end.

But NBC Sports officially died when they euthanized the iconic "NBA on NBC" theme.  Nobody puts John Tesh in a corner.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2016, 10:04:53 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 20, 2016, 08:13:24 PM

Yeah, the NBC coverage of the AFC in the 1980s had it all over today's goofy CBS bullshit.  From Bryant Gumbel at the beginning of the decade to Bob Costas at the end.

But NBC Sports officially died when they euthanized the iconic "NBA on NBC" theme.  Nobody puts John Tesh in a corner.

Nah, NBC sports went off the rails before that.  I hated watching them televise Steelers games while Bubby Brister was the starting QB there.  'Cause we absolutely need to see shots of his mother in the stands, even if we miss seeing plays on the field.

alfred russel

Quote from: Liep on August 21, 2016, 01:33:11 PM
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Can you explain the excitement?  :)

Rather surprising result for the US in the men's marathon--a bronze medal from one of our runners who was running just his second competitive marathon ever--his first was the US olympic qualifying trials. He is a 30 year old professional runner that has focused on shorter distances (generally 5k and 10k).

The marathon is such a high profile and competitive distance; I wouldn't expect someone to medal from out of no where like that. Probably a shame this guy didn't discover the marathon distance sooner.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on August 21, 2016, 01:57:27 PM
I hated watching them televise Steelers games while Bubby Brister was the starting QB there.  'Cause we absolutely need to see shots of his mother in the stands, even if we miss seeing plays on the field.

It's not like you were missing anything to begin with.  They never showed Bernie Joseph Kosar, Sr,

And they never hesitated to show replays of Red Right 88, The Drive or The Fumble on a constant loop, so I don't want to hear it.  :mad:

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Maladict

crazy canuck

Quote from: Liep on August 21, 2016, 01:33:11 PM
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Congratulations on the win.  The way the refs were calling it at the end it was very difficult for me to figure out what was a foul, what deserved a free shot and what was just good contact.  But that probably just because I watch it every 4 years.

celedhring

Spain wraps up with 17 medals, same as London. Not bad given the diminishing public support. Many more golds, too. 

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on August 21, 2016, 04:12:13 PM
Spain wraps up with 17 medals, same as London. Not bad given the diminishing public support. Many more golds, too. 

We got 15, best in many many decades. Also we beat Sweden.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Now we will see if they manage to pull off the para lympics.
Signs are not good
██████
██████
██████