News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Terrorist attack on Istanbul Airport

Started by Hamilcar, June 28, 2016, 04:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/28/turkey-airport-explosions-ataturak-istanbul

Situation evolving, claims of 28 dead around so far.

Top coverage by the way by @rcallimachi. Speculation that the attack is punishment for Turkey's rapprochement with Israel.

citizen k

Quote from: Hamilcar on June 28, 2016, 04:31:01 PM
Speculation that the attack is punishment for Turkey's rapprochement with Israel.

It's also two year anniversary for IS Caliphate.  :ph34r:

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

merithyn

We were just there. Looking at the pictures and the videos... We were right where all of this happened just four months ago... :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

QuotePolice manning a checkpoint at the airport's international terminal shot at two of the attackers as they approached, a Turkish official said. A third bomber detonated explosives in the nearby parking lot, the official said.

Footage broadcast by Turkish media showed at least one blast inside the terminal, while other images showed panicked travelers fleeing and debris strewn across the terminal and parking garage.

There was "no security lapse at the airport," Yildirim said at a news conference at the airport after the attack. He said the attackers arrived at the airport in a taxi, and that police officers and foreign nationals were among the dead.

Always sucks to get your ticket punched LOD, but it sounds like some heads-up cops saved lives before these fuckers could get into the terminal.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on June 28, 2016, 10:44:23 PM
We were just there. Looking at the pictures and the videos... We were right where all of this happened just four months ago... :(

May parents had that experience when they visited Turkey as well. Only it was a few days after they had been there. Pity I always wanted to see Istanbul but no way I am traveling there now.

I am going to my annual Ramadan dinner with my Turkish buds on Thursday. I am sure they will have some thoughts :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

The attacks on Istanbul are becoming a regular event  :(

Jaron

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2016, 11:07:31 PM
Quote from: merithyn on June 28, 2016, 10:44:23 PM

May parents had that experience when they visited Turkey as well. Only it was a few days after they had been there. Pity I always wanted to see Istanbul but no way I am traveling there now.

I am going to my annual Ramadan dinner with my Turkish buds on Thursday. I am sure they will have some thoughts :(

Martinus wanted me to ask you how your cucking was going.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Crazy_Ivan80

as bad is it is (and it is bad), it's part of the price Turkey has to pay for at minimum tolerating IS for years (by letting IS-recruits cross the border to-and-fro unhindered, healing them in their hospitals, etc) and at worst actively helping them (Erdogan's weapons convoy, Erdogan's family buying their oil...).
Erdogan wants to play with 'that' religion, these are the results.

Zanza

Terrible. :(

Do we even know it is the IS? Erdogan is actively escalating the Kurdish conflict, so this could just be the response by the PKK (or however they call themselves these days).

The Turkish tourism industry is nearly dead. Russia has issued a boycott (also Erdogan kowtowed in the Kremlin this week) and Europeans don't feel safe anymore.

Crazy_Ivan80

PKK has already denied carrying out the attack (for what that's worth). PKK usually tries to strike at the state-apparatus directly (military/police targets)(for what that's worth, again).

alfred russel

This seems like a really big story--in part because it isn't generating the impact of one. It is a real highlight of how Turkey is slipping away in the western consciousness.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on June 29, 2016, 01:46:44 PM
This seems like a really big story--in part because it isn't generating the impact of one. It is a real highlight of how Turkey is slipping away in the western consciousness.

Do you propose a new march on Vienna?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 29, 2016, 07:05:39 AM
PKK has already denied carrying out the attack (for what that's worth). PKK usually tries to strike at the state-apparatus directly (military/police targets)(for what that's worth, again).

I don't think PKK uses suicide attacks.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Brain on June 29, 2016, 01:48:49 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 29, 2016, 01:46:44 PM

Do you propose a new march on Vienna?

Nah. I expect Presidents Putin and Trump to liberate Istanbul Constantinople and usher in a new Byzantine era.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014