The Summer 2016 UK Political and Constitutional Crisis

Started by mongers, June 20, 2016, 05:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 30, 2016, 06:38:14 PM
Quote from: mongers on June 20, 2016, 05:08:36 PM
So, in all probability the UK is set for a political crisis this summer, whether it votes to remain in the EU or leave.

Just a place holder thread until we know the result on Friday. 

Thought your last predictions are welcome.

* NB I reserve the right to change the thread title to "The Summer 2016 UK Constitutional Crisis Megathread." depending on the out come.

Mongers I'm wondering if you had an inkling just how big a crisis and how bizarre it was going to get. I don't think anyone predicted a clusterfuck this bad.

Currently it's more farce than a proper threatrical drama.

I canvassed enough ordinary voters to know the result beforehand with some certainty, so by implication I had a strong feeling this could be very bad for my country.

To be honest I didn't think any wider than that, so didn't consider it's international consequences, nor indeed bothered to think about the possibility of wider European contagion.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Interesting that the first anti-democratic forces on the march, so to speak, are from the Centre and Left.

I'm not looking forward to the Right's response.

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on July 02, 2016, 04:55:43 PM
Interesting that the first anti-democratic forces on the march, so to speak, are from the Centre and Left.

You mean to try to reverse the referendum? Yes they should not reverse the referendum unless they can somehow show overwhelming support to do so.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2016, 05:06:13 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 02, 2016, 04:55:43 PM

You mean to try to reverse the referendum? Yes they should not reverse the referendum unless they can somehow show overwhelming support to do so.

Obviously, otherwise it's mob rule.

edit:
link to demo new item:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36692990

Valmy

Wow that would have been a very moving march had it been made a few weeks ago.

Is it normal in the UK to start campaigning for elections after they have already occurred? I mean it was no surprise this was a close election yes?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

So people shouldn't protest if a democratic vote ends up in an outcome they dislike? I was wrong to protest when California voters decided gay marriage was wrong?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2016, 05:32:44 PM

Is it normal in the UK to start campaigning for elections after they have already occurred? I mean it was no surprise this was a close election yes?

Exactly.

To people who consider other citizens votes invalid, then I guess it would make 'sense'.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on July 02, 2016, 05:34:14 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2016, 05:32:44 PM

Exactly.

To people who consider other citizens votes invalid, then I guess it would make 'sense'.

They probably weren't outraged at the time as 1) their economy wasn't taking a beating and 2) before the vote happened there wasn't an upsurge in racism about the country.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2016, 05:33:47 PM
So people shouldn't protest if a democratic vote ends up in an outcome they dislike? I was wrong to protest when California voters decided gay marriage was wrong?

No, not wrong. You were stupid. Probably should have held the march before the vote.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2016, 05:47:49 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2016, 05:33:47 PM

No, not wrong. You were stupid. Probably should have held the march before the vote.

I doubt a march in San Francisco before the vote would have changed anyone's minds. :P

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2016, 05:36:32 PM

They probably weren't outraged at the time as 1) their economy wasn't taking a beating and 2) before the vote happened there wasn't an upsurge in racism about the country.

Yeah nobody associated Brexit with racism or economic disaster before this referendum took place.  :wacko:

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2016, 05:51:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2016, 05:36:32 PM

Yeah nobody associated Brexit with racism or economic disaster before this referendum took place.  :wacko:

Seeing is believing. Besides, I think one is liable to not be as outraged until the event they thought wouldn't happen, happens and it all goes to shit.

Sheilbh

Yeah protest marches aren't really a part of any political campaigns I can think of - as opposed to protesting something.

Which is probably for the best because in general they're a shit way of either changing people's minds or getting the vote out.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 02, 2016, 06:04:45 PM
Yeah protest marches aren't really a part of any political campaigns I can think of - as opposed to protesting something.

Which is probably for the best because in general they're a shit way of either changing people's minds or getting the vote out.

What surprised me was the lack of engagement in the political process during the referendum campaign. In the weeks before the vote I travelled around 1500 miles on public transport and spent some time in several major UK cities and yet I saw very little campaigning, billboards/leaflets or political activists.

In my home region the only canvassers I encountered were two UKIP-type Brexiter, I saw a handful of exit signs and had to wait till I went to London to encouter a solitary Remain campaigner and the only Remain leaflet saw in the wild, discarded on a path in Hyde Park.  :(

Sheilbh

There were at least two weekends when my area had remain people at the major junctions and on the day of the vote I think I saw 5-6 (remainers) on my way to and from work telling people to vote.

Around here at least it was more than during an election and I've seen plenty of Remain signs in people's windows too - same in Lewes.
Let's bomb Russia!