News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How Privileged Are You

Started by garbon, June 20, 2016, 02:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

Quote from: Martinus on June 21, 2016, 07:11:23 AM
Yeah. I mean I used to think that some people dislike me because I'm gay. Only recently I realised in most cases it's actually probably because I'm an asshole.  :D

:D

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on June 21, 2016, 06:59:16 AM
The privilege and intersectionality bullshit basically abrogates personal responsibility. You suck at life not because you are dumb or lazy, but because you are "unprivileged"; conversely if you achieve success it's not your own doing but because you had an "easy life" so you should feel guilty about it.

It also strips people of their individuality and character, instead seeing them as simple cogs whose actions and life paths are only determined by the identity groups to which they belong.

If you are an asshole. There's nothing wrong with recognizing additional hurdles that other people have to face / wondering if we really need those hurdles in place. At no point is this meant to be - oh well, you can't ever expect to be anything because you have too many oppressive identities.

I also don't think one should feel guilty about being privileged. I clearly am and I don't feel any guilt about that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Camerus

My take is that the most significant privilege is being born into a wealthy, well-connected, educated and loving family. I'd rather be born as, say, a gay Asian male into that type of family than as a straight man in a poor uneducated white family.

However, if we're talking about only poorer, less well-educated families, then the kinds of characteristics mentioned in that quiz become somewhat more relevant.

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on June 21, 2016, 06:59:16 AM
The privilege and intersectionality bullshit basically abrogates personal responsibility. You suck at life not because you are dumb or lazy, but because you are "unprivileged"; conversely if you achieve success it's not your own doing but because you had an "easy life" so you should feel guilty about it.

It also strips people of their individuality and character, instead seeing them as simple cogs whose actions and life paths are only determined by the identity groups to which they belong.

To add insult to injury, most "metrics" used to measure "privilege" would probably conclude that Berkut had a more privileged upbringing than garbon.

I hate it when marty says things I agree with.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Camerus on June 21, 2016, 07:41:10 AM
My take is that the most significant privilege is being born into a wealthy, well-connected, educated and loving family. I'd rather be born as, say, a gay Asian male into that type of family than as a straight man in a poor uneducated white family.

However, if we're talking about only poorer, less well-educated families, then the kinds of characteristics mentioned in that quiz become somewhat more relevant.

At the risk of once again flaunting my clearly unconscience privilege, I think the first and greatest roll of the birth dice that can come up...actually, wait. No that might be the second.

OK, IMO, barring genetic bad luck (significant disease, condition, autism, etc., etc) the first and most significant privilege someone being born today can get is simply having the luck to be born into a western liberal society.

Because if you are lucky enough to have that happen to you, everything else will largely be driven by your own capabilities, rather than being fucked by social status, race, gender, religion, etc., etc. All those things will still matter of course, but can be overcome.

0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Barrister

Quote from: Camerus on June 21, 2016, 07:41:10 AM

Well to give some minor props to this quiz, it does have a handful of questions about family structure, and a number of questions related to growing up in poverty.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on June 21, 2016, 06:43:02 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on June 21, 2016, 06:38:14 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 21, 2016, 06:23:52 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on June 21, 2016, 06:07:21 AM
I reject the premise of this quiz.

The premise that people can be privileged?

The premise that the less privileged the are, the more morally superior you are. It's like the modern left took a look at the Nazi moral hierarchy and inverted it, except that Jews are still at the bottom.

I don't think that's the premise of the quiz at all. I think it is more of, if you have had a good life/easier circumstances perhaps take a little time out to think about/help those who are less fortunate.

You troll you.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Gups

Quote from: Barrister on June 21, 2016, 09:48:25 AM

Well to give some minor props to this quiz, it does have a handful of questions about family structure, and a number of questions related to growing up in poverty.

Pah. The quiz needs to check its privilege. There was no option for living in a brown paper bag in a septic tank.

Zanza

White hetero non-religious male upper middle class  :yeah:

Berkut

You should be ashamed of yourself!

0 rows returned

Jacob

Berkut

0 rows returned

Legbiter

Quote from: Zanza on June 21, 2016, 11:13:57 AM
White hetero non-religious male upper middle class  :yeah:

Wow, just wow. I can't even, like I can't  :mad:

It's 2016 and shitlords like you just waltz around. Go die in a fire

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.