Tell your doc to add Abilify

Ed Anger

It called me Adolf Hitler.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on June 20, 2016, 06:57:21 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 20, 2016, 06:44:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 20, 2016, 03:14:09 PM
I don't know why garbon foists buzzfeed on us.  It's not like we've hurt him or anything.

I got confused about "Identities".  What, like more than one?  Is this some sort of crazy thing?
If you go by Raz here, by Govory somewhere else, by Mike in your real life and to you these are all different people with which you can engage conversations at any time, then you are not priviledged.

Who's mike?  I thought you guys knew my name.  It's Brad.
I'm bad with names :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Hamilcar

I reject the premise of this quiz.

garbon

Quote from: Hamilcar on June 21, 2016, 06:07:21 AM

The premise that people can be privileged?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Hamilcar

Quote from: garbon on June 21, 2016, 06:23:52 AM

The premise that the less privileged the are, the more morally superior you are. It's like the modern left took a look at the Nazi moral hierarchy and inverted it, except that Jews are still at the bottom.

garbon

Quote from: Hamilcar on June 21, 2016, 06:38:14 AM

The premise that the less privileged the are, the more morally superior you are. It's like the modern left took a look at the Nazi moral hierarchy and inverted it, except that Jews are still at the bottom.

I don't think that's the premise of the quiz at all. I think it is more of, if you have had a good life/easier circumstances perhaps take a little time out to think about/help those who are less fortunate.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on June 21, 2016, 06:43:02 AM
I don't think that's the premise of the quiz at all. I think it is more of, if you have had a good life/easier circumstances perhaps take a little time out to think about/help those who are less fortunate.
No.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Hamilcar

On the contrary, these quizzes are dreamed up by people who old a moral world view based on victimhood.

garbon

Quote from: Hamilcar on June 21, 2016, 06:54:48 AM

On the contrary, these quizzes are dreamed up by people who old a moral world view based on victimhood.

On what evidence do you base that? Do you follow the work of Rega Jha, Tommy Wesely and Jessica Massa?

garbon

Martinus

The privilege and intersectionality bullshit basically abrogates personal responsibility. You suck at life not because you are dumb or lazy, but because you are "unprivileged"; conversely if you achieve success it's not your own doing but because you had an "easy life" so you should feel guilty about it.

It also strips people of their individuality and character, instead seeing them as simple cogs whose actions and life paths are only determined by the identity groups to which they belong.

To add insult to injury, most "metrics" used to measure "privilege" would probably conclude that Berkut had a more privileged upbringing than garbon.

Hamilcar

Thanks Mart, was too lazy to type.

What's worse, the constant emphasis on privilege and lack of personal accountability makes me *less* empathetic to people who face genuine barriers. I regularly encounter people who suck at their job and blame everything from "the patriarchy" to "cis-male white hegemony" for their poor performance. Yet they cannot countenance spending one second on introspection to realize maybe, just *maybe* the reason for their lack of success is not mysterious invisible forces of oppression, but their own lack of intelligence and persistence.

Martinus

By the way, I took the test. Got 35/100.

Though admittedly, Languish posters (especially Raz, Jaron and Fireblade) are responsible for lowering my score by at least 30 points.  :lol:

Martinus

Quote from: Hamilcar on June 21, 2016, 07:03:30 AM
Thanks Mart, was too lazy to type.

What's worse, the constant emphasis on privilege and lack of personal accountability makes me *less* empathetic to people who face genuine barriers. I regularly encounter people who suck at their job and blame everything from "the patriarchy" to "cis-male white hegemony" for their poor performance. Yet they cannot countenance spending one second on introspection to realize maybe, just *maybe* the reason for their lack of success is not mysterious invisible forces of oppression, but their own lack of intelligence and persistence.

Yeah. I mean I used to think that some people dislike me because I'm gay. Only recently I realised in most cases it's actually probably because I'm an asshole.  :D