News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How Privileged Are You

Started by garbon, June 20, 2016, 02:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2016, 02:45:50 PM

Then that probably doesn't count. ;)

Likewise I was bullied quite a bit as a kid, particularly with lots of gay slurs. But I wasn't gay. But then I could have been, I didn't know my sexuality at the time. So what does that mean? Does that count? No idea. Yeah this seems mainly focused on somebody growing up recently who has an understanding of concepts like 'identity' and 'gender' which were not tossed around the playground back in the 80s.

Likewise the black kids in Middle School used to beat the shit out of me regularly being a rather socially isolated skinny dude. I was also one of very few white kids in an overwhelmingly African-American class. So...did they beat the shit out of me and bully me because I was white or just because I was an easy target? I don't know I cannot see into their souls. How am I supposed to know that?

I don't think this experience really impacted me much since once I went through puberty everybody left me alone, so I don't see how it makes me less privileged just because kids were shit to me a few decades ago.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2016, 02:51:58 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2016, 02:44:59 PM
A lot of these I have no idea. What extent do I have to be discriminated against because of my skin color in order for it to count? I feel like it would have to be something more significant than being told that 'sorry I don't date white dudes'.

Has someone made fun of the way you dance?

Well of course that goes without saying :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

It isn't ever really a question of how privileged you feel, it is a question of how much of a victim you can construct and demand attention for...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Languish is quite angsty today. Most be all that white male privilege being called out. ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2016, 03:05:25 PM
Languish is quite angsty today. Most be all that white male privilege being called out. ^_^

irony much?

0 rows returned

Razgovory

What if you are attacked if for being part of a race you aren't?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Not really. Putting down I am 'white' 'male' and 'heterosexual' were by far the easiest and clearest boxes to check. :P

Razgovory

I don't know why garbon foists buzzfeed on us.  It's not like we've hurt him or anything.

I got confused about "Identities".  What, like more than one?  Is this some sort of crazy thing?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2016, 03:05:45 PM

irony much?

I'm not particularly angsty today.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on June 20, 2016, 03:14:09 PM
I got confused about "Identities".  What, like more than one?  Is this some sort of crazy thing?

Nah, pretty much a basic human thing.

Barrister

I don't know why garbon foists buzzfeed on us.  It's not like we've hurt him or anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersectionality
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

I wish more Canadians got the shit kicked out of them.  Sorry, oot of them.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on June 20, 2016, 03:15:17 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersectionality

Christ.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2016, 03:14:47 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2016, 03:05:45 PM

irony much?

I'm not particularly angsty today.

Yeah, this looks to be pretty much your normal level.

0 rows returned