News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jesus' Wife?

Started by Jacob, June 16, 2016, 10:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 23, 2016, 09:09:31 AM
Agreed. Berk is right. The church (the bride of Christ) matters, not personal identity (this isn't gender for God's sake) and the beliefs of the church were clarified by the early councils. If you are outside of that you're not a Christian, you're outside the church.

So, sorry unitarians (heretics), Mormons (heathenish heretics) and all the rest, but it's been pretty clear for 1800 years, extra ecclesiam nulla salus. If you don't believe in the divinity of Christ or the Trinity you'd be better off trying to get associate membership ofa the ummah than the church.

Actually, it's exactly like gender. It has been pretty clear for 1800 years too. :P

garbon

If you don't believe in the divinity of Christ or the Trinity

Well if there was some sort of neo-Arian movement, I'd think that would still be broadly described as Christian.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Over my cold dead body they would :ultra:
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Languish: last forum for the Christological Controversies in the modern world.  :D

http://www.ritchies.net/p2wk4.htm

At least we aren't exiling or burning those with the "wrong" answers ... yet.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on August 23, 2016, 07:33:46 AM
My issue is that if you decide to ignore a part of the supposed holy book of your religion as being nonsense, like the divinity of Jesus, how can you then go ahead and consider other parts as true and correct?

I mean, I know the answer, because you personally happen to agree with those parts, but that's a bit of a stretch to build such a monumental thing as a religion on now, isn't it?

Cause we do that with most pre-modern historical personalities.  Do you believe that Alexander the Great was the son of Zeus or Pythagoras had thigh made of gold?  Virgil was probably not a sorcerer, Plato probably was not born of a virgin and anointed by bees, and Thutmoses probably didn't talk to the Great Sphynx of Giza (or at least it didn't respond).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 23, 2016, 09:15:57 AM
Over my cold dead body they would :ultra:

They could probably arrange that - in this hypothetical.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2016, 09:14:00 AM

Well if there was some sort of neo-Arian movement, I'd think that would still be broadly described as Christian.

Like, say, Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons?

Jacob

Agreed. Berk is right. The church (the bride of Christ) matters, not personal identity (this isn't gender for God's sake) and the beliefs of the church were clarified by the early councils. If you are outside of that you're not a Christian, you're outside the church.

So, sorry unitarians (heretics), Mormons (heathenish heretics) and all the rest, but it's been pretty clear for 1800 years, extra ecclesiam nulla salus. If you don't believe in the divinity of Christ or the Trinity you'd be better off trying to get associate membership ofa the ummah than the church.

Yeah, that's the Catholic point of view, for sure, and Catholics have killed plenty of people to reinforce it.

The surprising thing is that Berkut has decided that the Catholic Church's dogma on this particular subject is objectively correct when applied to non-Catholics.

Malthus

There still exist Monophysities. Are they "Christian"? They reject the Council of Chalcedon - accepted by modern Catholics and Protestants alike.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on August 23, 2016, 09:36:58 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2016, 09:14:00 AM

Like, say, Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons?

I don't think I'd call them neo-Arian, no.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on August 23, 2016, 09:41:44 AM

Yeah, that's the Catholic point of view, for sure, and Catholics have killed plenty of people to reinforce it.

The surprising thing is that Berkut has decided that the Catholic Church's dogma on this particular subject is objectively correct when applied to non-Catholics.

Isn't that also a Protestant stance?

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on August 23, 2016, 09:43:05 AM
There still exist Monophysities. Are they "Christian"? They reject the Council of Chalcedon - accepted by modern Catholics and Protestants alike.

Not seeing a rejection of Christ's divinity there.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2016, 09:45:39 AM

Isn't that also a Protestant stance?

Not the 'Church, Bride of Christ' stuff, no.  :lol:

The 'accepted by early Church Councils', yes. Bit that leaves a lot of what we would probably consider gen-u-ine "Christians" outside the fold - for example, Monophysites (such as Syrian Christians)

Sheilbh

Not just Catholic, the Orthodox and most Protestants would agree. Almost everyone agrees on the Church Fathers and the early councils.

As Malthus says the only real exception I can think of is the Oriental Churches. But even there the argument is the nature of Christ's divinity which is different.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on August 23, 2016, 09:48:25 AM
Not the 'Church, Bride of Christ' stuff, no.  :lol:
Psh :P

Pretty standard Pauline gloss. And I mean the church in its most broad and encompassing definition. Not, you know, the Church.
Let's bomb Russia!