News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jesus' Wife?

Started by Jacob, June 16, 2016, 10:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Valmy is white, if he says he is of some religion then he is. Brown people don't have that privilege, for them white people have to decide if they in fact belong to the religion they claim to follow.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on August 22, 2016, 03:34:21 PM
you are just agreeing that it is a good idea to treat each other nicely.

Fuck that noise.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on August 22, 2016, 03:30:53 PM

The teachings of jesus in the bible conspicuously omit the part where he is the divine son of god.

John 4:16 is commonly cited by Christians as Christ explicitly stating that he is in fact the son of god, and only through him can salvation be realized.

Further, the New Testament itself has copious references to the same. I get that you can go for the teachings of Jesus while rejecting the rest of the NT, but I have my own opinions about that as well. But that has nothing to do really with how any particular person chooses what to believe or not believe.
[/quote]

John 3:16 (I assume that is what you meant) is not entirely explicit.

Also, and as someone that went through catholic education for 12 years, and was taught religion by priests and nuns, I was taught in new testament history by a priest that a likely reason the gospel of john was included in the bible was that the other three gospels (the synoptic gospels that are very similar, as opposed to the gospel of john) is that you can read the synoptic gospels without any sense that jesus is the son of god or divine. They also don't go into so much about theology. So much christian theology comes from John 1, which is mostly not in the voice of Jesus.

So I don't think it is so radical to say there was a historical guy named jesus that wandered around the near east 2000 years ago, and taught lots of cool things that I want to follow, and his followers after his death added in some "god" stuff (as people in the ancient world did) and we ended up with christianity.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on August 22, 2016, 02:54:58 PM
The teachings of jesus in the bible conspicuously omit the part where he is the divine son of god. What if someone belongs to a group (lets call them "unitarians") that follows the teachings of jesus as laid out in the bible, historically believed in the divinity of jesus, but at a certain point as scholarship advanced decided to give up an opinion one way or the other on the theological stance? If they still follow the teachings of jesus....

To put it another way, the apostles may not have qualified as Christians under berkut's defintion.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on August 22, 2016, 03:58:41 PM
Also, and as someone that went through catholic education for 12 years, and was taught religion by priests and nuns, I was taught in new testament history by a priest that a likely reason the gospel of john was included in the bible was that the other three gospels (the synoptic gospels that are very similar, as opposed to the gospel of john) is that you can read the synoptic gospels without any sense that jesus is the son of god or divine. They also don't go into so much about theology. So much christian theology comes from John 1, which is mostly not in the voice of Jesus.

Right - the synoptics being generally recognized as preceding John in time, and all three drawing on a common "sayings source" (the hypothesized Q source) put together not that long after Jesus' life.  So if someone was looking to find whatever is closest to the words Jesus actually spoke, one would look in the synoptics and not John.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 22, 2016, 04:21:58 PM
To put it another way, the apostles may not have qualified as Christians under berkut's defintion.

:lmfao:

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on August 22, 2016, 03:30:53 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 22, 2016, 02:54:58 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 22, 2016, 02:48:58 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 22, 2016, 02:43:50 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 22, 2016, 02:36:45 PM

Can I be Christian if I don't believe that Christ ever existed, or if I believe he was wrong about everything he preached about?
:hmm: we have very different understanding of the meaning of "belief in his teaching" if you equate that with believing everything he said was wrong.

That is the point.

So you are comfortable saying that someone who claims to be Christian is not actually Christian if they say they do NOT believe in his teachings?

The teachings of jesus in the bible conspicuously omit the part where he is the divine son of god.

John 4:16 is commonly cited by Christians as Christ explicitly stating that he is in fact the son of god, and only through him can salvation be realized.

Further, the New Testament itself has copious references to the same. I get that you can go for the teachings of Jesus while rejecting the rest of the NT, but I have my own opinions about that as well. But that has nothing to do really with how any particular person chooses what to believe or not believe.

Quote from: John 4:16And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.

God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.

:unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on August 22, 2016, 04:33:35 PM

If one of them came along today and said he thought Jesus was just a guy with some good ideas and there was no god, then yeah, I think they would not qualify as "Christian" under my definition.

I am sure I am the unique and special flower that equates a belief in god and the divinity of Christ with Christianity.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on August 22, 2016, 05:18:35 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 22, 2016, 04:33:35 PM

If one of them came along today and said he thought Jesus was just a guy with some good ideas and there was no god, then yeah, I think they would not qualify as "Christian" under my definition.

I am sure I am the unique and special flower that equates a belief in god and the divinity of Christ with Christianity.

What if they said Jesus was just a guy with good ideas but there was a God?

Or Jesus was appointed by God but not God himself?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: Caliga on August 22, 2016, 02:29:23 PM
That said, while Unitarians historically were noted for their rejection of the Trinity, and I think you can easily argue that Unitarian Christians are still Christian, the modern UUA takes it further and does not mandate that you believe in the divinity of Jesus... or really any aspect of Christianity at all, for that matter.  For me, that makes the UUA decidedly non-Christian.  I don't personally think that someone who rejects the divinity of Jesus can in any way, shape, or form be considered a Christian.  If so, then why can't we call the Jews Christians too?

I tend to consider anyone who professes to believe the Apostles' Creed to be a professing Christian:

"I believe in God the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth; And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord: who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; the third day he rose from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen."

I would agree that historical Unitarians would still be Christians under my definition.  Unitarian Universalists, as a group, would not, though some individuals who are UU might.  I think, based on what Valmy has said about his beliefs, that he would not ascribe to the Apostles' Creed, but perhaps he would like to comment on that.

Quote from: alfred russell

I'm pretty sure you don't mean John 4:16 (Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband and come hither).  Did you mean John 14:6 and the following verses (Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life;  no man cometh unto the Father, but by me...)?

alfred russel

Quote from: dps on August 22, 2016, 05:36:04 PM
e individuals who are UU might.  I think, based on what Valmy has said about his beliefs, that he would not ascribe to the Apostles' Creed, but perhaps he would like to comment on that.

I'm pretty sure you don't mean John 4:16 (Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband and come hither).  Did you mean John 14:6 and the following verses (Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life;  no man cometh unto the Father, but by me...)?

I think you meant to quote Berkut, not me-I didn't say that. I think Berkut meant to cite John 3:16 rather than 4:16.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on August 22, 2016, 05:47:06 PM
Quote from: dps on August 22, 2016, 05:36:04 PM
e individuals who are UU might.  I think, based on what Valmy has said about his beliefs, that he would not ascribe to the Apostles' Creed, but perhaps he would like to comment on that.

I think you meant to quote Berkut, not me-I didn't say that. I think Berkut meant to cite John 3:16 rather than 4:16.

Ah, the quote function screwed up your reply #122.

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on August 22, 2016, 03:04:52 PM

Oh please, that is some pretty light poking at Beebs in response to his doing the same with me. If you are going to get offended at that, I guess you should be done with a lot of threads.

Someone was suggesting the same thing to me yesterday...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Give it a rest, cross thread stalker. :rolleyes:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I'm not sure if Berkut realizes it, but there are a lot of different beliefs regarding the nature of Christ, some of which reject his divinity. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017