News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jesus' Wife?

Started by Jacob, June 16, 2016, 10:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on August 24, 2016, 12:29:08 PM

The Universalists rejected the concept of Hell.  Everyone was 'saved' and reconciled with God in the afterlife, regardless of any sins committed in life, willingness to repent, etc.

As I understand it, Catholics don't close off the potential for a universal salvation. I know doesn't seem to fit with a lot of the other teachings.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

Quote from: alfred russel on August 24, 2016, 12:40:15 PM
As I understand it, Catholics don't close off the potential for a universal salvation. I know doesn't seem to fit with a lot of the other teachings.
With the Universalists, it was more cut and dry.  There is no Hell, there is no Satan, and for some, there is no sin.

Before the UUA decided to let everyone believe whatever they wanted, they'd also rejected the concept of sin altogether.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on August 24, 2016, 12:38:15 PM
Ah. Thank you. You can understand how there are certain qualities of the UU church that led me astray on that. Not that I don't think UU is cool and all.
Yep, it's a common misconception. :hug:

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on August 24, 2016, 12:40:15 PM
Quote from: Caliga on August 24, 2016, 12:29:08 PM

The Universalists rejected the concept of Hell.  Everyone was 'saved' and reconciled with God in the afterlife, regardless of any sins committed in life, willingness to repent, etc.

I thought that Catholics thought you were eventually cool so long as you got baptized at some point. You just have to spend a long time getting your soul cleaned.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Universal salvation is going to be awkward when simon wiesenthal runs into Hitler in heaven.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on August 24, 2016, 12:46:39 PM
Universal salvation is going to be awkward when simon wiesenthal runs into Hitler in heaven.

I think it is never going to happen.

Hitler was baptized and Simon Wiesenthal wasn't. No Catholic heaven for him.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 24, 2016, 12:48:43 PM

Hitler was baptized and Simon Wiesenthal wasn't. No Catholic heaven for him.  ;)

:lol:

Yeah it is best not to think about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

alfred russel

I think universal salvation means everyone--not just the baptized.

Razgovory

Suicide is a mortal sin.  You get turned into a tree and harpies shit on you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 24, 2016, 01:11:29 PM
Suicide is a mortal sin.  You get turned into a tree and harpies shit on you.

Oh right. Bummer Hitler.

Caliga

They'll laugh and say it was all a big misunderstanding.  It'll be like the end of a Three's Company episode.

PRC

But Wiesenthal was probably baptized into the Mormon faith after his death so he will always have his own planet in Mormon heaven.

Valmy

Quote from: PRC on August 24, 2016, 01:28:40 PM
But Wiesenthal was probably baptized into the Mormon faith after his death so he will always have his own planet in Mormon heaven.

True :hmm:

See? It all worked out.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tamas on August 24, 2016, 09:59:04 AM
Quote from: Caliga on August 24, 2016, 08:40:00 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 23, 2016, 10:01:07 AM
By the way, Valmy, do Unitarians believe in Resurrection?
Mart, when asking the question "do Unitarians believe in", the answer is always going to be "maybe" or "some do and some don't".

Unitarianism is really not a religion in the conventional sense.  They have no creed and everyone is welcome no matter what they believe, even if they believe in nothing.  It's really a community of like-minded individuals, not a religion proper.

So they are the Openly Just Social Churchgoers religion, then? :P

Social Justice Warriors Crusaders?

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on August 24, 2016, 10:27:24 AM
Guys, I don't know what we will decide regarding Valmy's christian status, but can we all agree now, that whatever we conclude, we will burn Valmy at the stake?
Finally some common sense.
Let's bomb Russia!