News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jesus' Wife?

Started by Jacob, June 16, 2016, 10:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on August 24, 2016, 09:15:31 AM
Then I suppose a Unitarian can be a Christian - but Unitarianism is not a Christian "religion". That's akin to arguing whether Freemasonry is Christian - some Freemasons are Christians, but the set of beliefs per se is not.

Why is it akin to claiming something that is not a religion is a religion? What a bizarre comparison.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on August 24, 2016, 09:17:21 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 24, 2016, 09:15:31 AM
Then I suppose a Unitarian can be a Christian - but Unitarianism is not a Christian "religion". That's akin to arguing whether Freemasonry is Christian - some Freemasons are Christians, but the set of beliefs per se is not.
Yeah, I think that's a good analogy.

How? Is it also akin to claiming a chess club is Christian? How about a tap dancing class?

Unitarianism is a branch of Christianity. So claiming it is not Christian seems to me similar to claiming Shi'ites are not Muslims. Many Sunni do claim this BTW.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on August 24, 2016, 09:18:46 AM
Unitarianism is a branch of Christianity..
It isn't, though.  The guy who is a minister at the UU church I used to go to in Louisville once said it's a 'post-Christian' church.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

I do not claim to be an expert on Unitarianism but from what I hear from you guys, it seems to me that Unitarianism is less of a "religion" and more of a "spiritual organisation". The line is very fine (and law usually does not distinguish between the two) but to me Unitarianism is more similar to Confucianism or Free Masonry than it is to Islam or Christianity - it's more of a life philosophy than a set of metaphysical dogmas.

Tamas

Quote from: Caliga on August 24, 2016, 08:40:00 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 23, 2016, 10:01:07 AM
By the way, Valmy, do Unitarians believe in Resurrection?
Mart, when asking the question "do Unitarians believe in", the answer is always going to be "maybe" or "some do and some don't".

Unitarianism is really not a religion in the conventional sense.  They have no creed and everyone is welcome no matter what they believe, even if they believe in nothing.  It's really a community of like-minded individuals, not a religion proper.

So they are the Openly Just Social Churchgoers religion, then? :P

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on August 24, 2016, 09:59:04 AM
Mart, when asking the question "do Unitarians believe in", the answer is always going to be "maybe" or "some do and some don't".

Unitarianism is really not a religion in the conventional sense.  They have no creed and everyone is welcome no matter what they believe, even if they believe in nothing.  It's really a community of like-minded individuals, not a religion proper.

They are just people who like to meet, sing hymns and eat cake on Sundays, but can't be bothered with the whole "god" thing. :P

Valmy

He is talking about Unitarian Universalists. Which is rather defined by that 'Universalist' thing. But I do think they have a spiritual life. That is kind of the whole point. I mean I think even a significant amount of people who spend time in a religion that believes crazy shit are not really there because they love crazy shit. So why not remove the crazy shit?

I mean if the Jews have space for reconstructionist Judaism why shouldn't Christianity have space for something similar?

Malthus

Not a bad thing to be.  :)

Unitarians allegedly believe in the teachings of Jesus, as the exemplar of morality (which they interpret in a "liberal in the modern meaning of the term" sense). Seems to me that "Christianity" is a reasonable label for that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarianism
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

Guys, I don't know what we will decide regarding Valmy's christian status, but can we all agree now, that whatever we conclude, we will burn Valmy at the stake?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

Quote from: alfred russel on August 24, 2016, 10:27:24 AM
Guys, I don't know what we will decide regarding Valmy's christian status, but can we all agree now, that whatever we conclude, we will burn Valmy at the stake?

There are a number of other languishites well ahead of Valmy in the line-up for immolation.

celedhring

As the on-call Spaniard in Languish, I call dibs on the burning of heretics.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on August 24, 2016, 11:08:47 AM
As the on-call Spaniard in Languish, I call dibs on the burning of heretics.

No-one expected that.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on August 24, 2016, 10:50:38 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 24, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

There are a number of other languishites well ahead of Valmy in the line-up for immolation.

Awwwww what a sweet thing to say :wub:

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on August 24, 2016, 10:08:41 AM
He is talking about Unitarian Universalists. Which is rather defined by that 'Universalist' thing.
That's not what the 'Universalist' part of the UUA name means.  The 'Unitarian Universalist' name is one with historical origins that represents the merger of two different New England churches with very liberal beliefs which IIRC happened in the 1920s/30s.

The Unitarians rejected the Trinity and if I recall correctly, by extension the divinity of Jesus.

The Universalists rejected the concept of Hell.  Everyone was 'saved' and reconciled with God in the afterlife, regardless of any sins committed in life, willingness to repent, etc.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on August 24, 2016, 12:29:08 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 24, 2016, 10:08:41 AM
He is talking about Unitarian Universalists. Which is rather defined by that 'Universalist' thing.
That's not what the 'Universalist' part of the UUA name means.  The 'Unitarian Universalist' name is one with historical origins that represents the merger of two different New England churches with very liberal beliefs which IIRC happened in the 1920s/30s.

The Unitarians rejected the Trinity and if I recall correctly, by extension the divinity of Jesus.

The Universalists rejected the concept of Hell.  Everyone was 'saved' and reconciled with God in the afterlife, regardless of any sins committed in life, willingness to repent, etc.

Ah. Thank you. You can understand how there are certain qualities of the UU church that led me astray on that. Not that I don't think UU is cool and all.