(((The Jewish Cowbell))): Unpacking a Gross New Meme from the Alt-Right

Started by jimmy olsen, June 03, 2016, 12:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on June 07, 2016, 12:30:51 AM
Not as weird as watching leftists like Capetan Mihali spout anti-semitic stuff in defense of Palestinians.

El Capetan said a lot of objectionable things about the I-P conflict but nothing anti-Semitic.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 07, 2016, 09:04:01 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 07, 2016, 12:30:51 AM
Not as weird as watching leftists like Capetan Mihali spout anti-semitic stuff in defense of Palestinians.

El Capetan said a lot of objectionable things about the I-P conflict but nothing anti-Semitic.

It's hard to imagine one taking such a dogmatic anti-Israeli position he did without some sort of irrational animus against Jews - that's the definition of antisemitism.

The Minsky Moment

I think I'm pretty sensitive to dog whistles in that context.  But hey maybe I'm confused.  After all I think that when people send threatening messages to strangers about being slimy Jews and sticking them in ovens they are probably anti-Semitic, but am reliably informed that this is just innocent youthful hijinks.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 07, 2016, 09:20:23 AM
I think I'm pretty sensitive to dog whistles in that context.  But hey maybe I'm confused.  After all I think that when people send threatening messages to strangers about being slimy Jews and sticking them in ovens they are probably anti-Semitic, but am reliably informed that this is just innocent youthful hijinks.

Or, possibly, done ironically.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

I think I'm pretty sensitive to dog whistles in that context.  But hey maybe I'm confused. 

I was kidding.  Seems like "dog whistle" accusations are the last resort when someone is trying to accuse someone of racism. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 07, 2016, 06:04:10 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 07, 2016, 03:44:37 AM
"that vaunted Ashkenazi intelligence"

So that's what's wrong with Siege.

Here's a leaflet on "Famous Jewish Sports Legends."

He's not Ashkenazi.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on June 07, 2016, 01:25:37 PM
I think I'm pretty sensitive to dog whistles in that context.  But hey maybe I'm confused. 

I was kidding.  Seems like "dog whistle" accusations are the last resort when someone is trying to accuse someone of racism.

No, the last resort is saying that someone is trying reinstitute slavery through welfare.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Sheilbh

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 07, 2016, 03:44:37 AM
That's kind of surprising.  No stereotypes of Jews being any combination of cheap, shrewd, unscrupulous, underhanded, argumentative, neurotic, or overly intellectual/analytical?
Yeah I don't think so. I was thinking about this earlier and I never heard any comments about Jews growing up and don't think I consciously knew anyone who was Jewish. So because I didn't have any reference I think for a long time I actually thought a lot of what are Jewish stereotypes were just sort-of non-Southern American/New York things. Alternately if I did have stereotypes I may have had a sort-of internalised philo-Semitism as a kid who was different, was a bit precocious and not massively sporty. I'm not sure.

I remember being really surprised when I moved to England and was exposed to anti-Semitism for the first time, it was very striking.

I've never lived in an area with a big Jewish population, so I think the first Jewish people I really knew were mostly Israeli - dancers from a couple of theatre festivals, ex-IDF travelling around South America etc - who didn't match any of the common stereotypes.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

I grew up around lots of Jews. I never really understood anti-semitism. They seem like perfectly normal people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Jefferson City, has a small Jewish community (oldest synagogue West of the Mississippi!), and they seemed like normal people to me.  Antisemitism seems so absurd to me, it verges on funny.  Like the belief that the Bavarian Illuminati are out to get you.  On several occasions I have claimed that Malthus and Minsky are part of the Elders of the Protocols of Zion.  It was meant as joke and I believe it was always taken as a joke.  Sadly there are hundreds of millions of people who take that kind of thing seriously, which kind of ruins the joke.

LaCroix

yeah. example, this image http://i.imgur.com/yuBPVaw.jpg that gets floated around every now and then

facially, it's a holocaust denial. in actuality, it's really more of a "joke" or, I guess more accurately, a non-serious picture meant to elicit some reaction. it's not serious, and it doesn't indicate a rise of anti-semitism/holocaust denial

Jacob

Quote from: LaCroix on June 08, 2016, 11:58:03 AM
yeah. example, this image http://i.imgur.com/yuBPVaw.jpg that gets floated around every now and then

facially, it's a holocaust denial. in actuality, it's really more of a "joke" or, I guess more accurately, a non-serious picture meant to elicit some reaction. it's not serious, and it doesn't indicate a rise of anti-semitism/holocaust denial

A picture that denies the holocaust does not indicate holocaust denial? How do you figure?

EDIT: I see, the claims are so obviously overstated that it must me humour. Okay.