Languish military people and vets to me! Researching fitness article

Started by Brazen, June 02, 2016, 07:52:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

I'm writing a freelance piece for one of my former publications about how military personnel manage to get overweight and unfit despite regular PT. Can anyone help me? Either rant below in usual Languish style, or if you'd be willing to be interviewed via email or over Facebook Messenger and quoted (anonymously if needed) let me know. The more different countries I can include the better!

A recent Freedom of Information (FOI) request found that the British military has resorted to diet pills and liposuction to trim down its recruits, prompting the question just how fit does a modern soldier need to be? Many roles are now IT and cyber focussed, or involve flying remotely piloted aircraft from an armchair. Does every role still need to individuals at the peak of fitness?

If you are or have been in the military, what was your fitness regime like? What could be done better to better ensure recruits who have to pass vigorous tests to join stay fit throughout their careers?

Would the type of tech that helps civilians keep fit, like fitness trackers, help, or would they be a security risk?

Here's an article that quotes the original Times piece, which is behind a paywall.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/157171/20160511/british-soldiers-prescribed-diet-pills-and-liposuction-to-combat-weight-problems.htm

http://forces.tv/48021736

garbon

Neither here nor there but I clicked on that first link and dance music started playing. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Somewhat tangential to your question, but what about mentioning the fitness consequences of military service?

A friend of mine, now sadly dead, had badly damaged knees as result of the fitness training and military service. And I'd guess more than few others ex-military here might now have serious issues with knees and backs?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Brazen

Good point, Mongers, but a bit outside my brief and won't really have the word count to explore that much, though I may throw in a mention.

lustindarkness

In my honest opinion, it does not matter if you are military, civilian, active duty or reservist. It is all about personal responsibility, motivation, self control, commitment and discipline.

Now, on my second day as a civilian after 23+ years of reserve service: The problems I have seen in recent years is more of a generational and society problem combined with the new soft politically correct military been to damn soft with their regulations.

Oh, and if you marry a good cook, you better be willing to run a lot. :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

Quote from: mongers on June 02, 2016, 08:02:37 AM
Somewhat tangential to your question, but what about mentioning the fitness consequences of military service?

A friend of mine, now sadly dead, had badly damaged knees as result of the fitness training and military service. And I'd guess more than few others ex-military here might now have serious issues with knees and backs?

This is true, but I don't think it is from running. I think it may be from heavy loads.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Im on a mlbile so typing sucks.

Some factors IMO

Long depllyments, PT is done differently than back in garrison.
Depression, PTSD
General Diet.

When I get to a comp I can type more out as far as what I did IRT regular PT.

I work with the navy now and they have no standard regimented pt. It zhows with all the fat bodies running around.

Get Siege to give a rundown of what the Army is doing now.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Brazen

Awesome, thanks 11B4V, looking forward to hearing more :thumbsup:

What say you Siegey?

11B4V

Quote from: Brazen on June 02, 2016, 07:52:14 AM
If you are or have been in the military, what was your fitness regime like?

Garrison
PT Mon-Fri 0600-0800 (Thursday 1500-1600)

Deployed
Depended on what limitations and what was available. However, push-ups and sit-ups and/or some type of cardio. It's depends on what's going on operationally.

What could be done better to better ensure recruits who have to pass vigorous tests to join stay fit throughout their careers?

The fitness standards are not arduous in regards to the APFT, PRT, PAT or whatever service calls it. The tests them selves are actually a joke. Problem is most new recruits are fat lazy civilian high school age kids who peck on there phones or sit in front of the TV. A good regimented PT program will also help prevent silly ass injuries.

In the Army you have to score a 180 out of 300 on the APFT. I don't think that's changed. However, a 180 may be fine in a pouge unit (mechanics, personnel, and other ash and trash units), but an infantry company, the unofficial standard was hovering around 270. Train to a high level of physical fitness, don't train to pass the APFT.

Diet is probably the one area where money could be made IMO. I spent 20 years in the Army. From the time I went in the Army in 1984 (18 y/o, 6" 2", 173lbs) to about 1994 (210lbs) I was eating like shit, drinking, smoking, chewing, etc. I still was in shape to be sure, but that's youth. Work hard, play hard mentality. Around 1994 I made a conscience decision to change my food diet and quit smoking. Eating better stuff, cutting down on coke, unless it was mixed with Wild Turkey. Still maintaining a high level of physical training. The drinking remained the same along with all the asshatery that went along with it. Around 2000, I cut way down on the drinking, no coke and the like and still maintaining a high level of physical training. I was actually in better shape the last third of my career than the first two thirds.   

Would the type of tech that helps civilians keep fit, like fitness trackers, help, or would they be a security risk?

Really they just have to get out there on a structured program and do it. NCO's have to plan, conduct and lead the program. Whether it is Squad, Platoon, or Company PT every day unless deployed. Remedial PT the fat bodies as necessary. Privates will be Privates and if left up to them they will not do it. If you see a military unit full of fat body slugs, that is a LEADERSHIP problem. 

11B4V

I'll ramble with two other examples.

Went to Ranger School and bulked up (not fat) prior to 215lbs. 76 days later I weighed 176lbs. Was cut like a mofo, but couldn't pick up a styrofoam cup or run a mile without getting winded. Had they'd given an APFT a day after, it would have been a stretch to pass. For close to six months my metabolism was fucked up. Right after finishing the training, I would eat five times a day. Bloated up to 240lbs. This is an extreme example.

Same can go for long deployments. Your eating whenever you can, physical/mental exertions can be extreme, that effects metabolism and screws with you when you come back to the states for a while.

lustindarkness

Deployments fuck your life in so many different ways. :lol:

After a year of hard work in the desert, still working out and running even in the heat, but we eat over 4000 calories a day. Then you go back home, barely burn 1000 calories a day but still eating 5000! 
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Tonitrus

I would, of course, come from a completely different military world.  The more office-like, Chair Force, but also 12-hour shifts (plus extra admin BS on top of that), and high-pace/stress mission tempo (even though sitting in a chair).  That means eating like crap, way too many kids living on Monsters/Rockstar/Red Bull, and unable to get away from that office chair for a decent meal...so loads of packaged/processed foods that can be heated in a microwave in the break room...or fast food gotten by sending the one (maybe) excess operator on a food run.  That, and who the hells wants to PT after a 12-hour shift (unless compelled, which shits on an already hyper-cynical watch culture).

I may add more when I am further temporally removed from work.  :)

MadBurgerMaker

Once I got out of training, we didn't have any regular official organized PT, although a few of us would just do it 3x a week as a group in the mornings and afternoons.  When I left the aviation side of things, there was essentially nothing except the tests.  I ended up just PTing on my own, really just doing what I did on my various swim teams pre-Navy, until I got to the boat. 

On board, I would just run on a treadmill whenever I felt the need (usually two or three miles a couple days a week, depending on what I felt like and how my knee was doing), but was running up and down the stairs (they're called ladders there heh) all day, and was doing shit like diving and snorkeling in my free time when we were in Guam or Saipan, in addition to walking a lot when in port. 

Now I'm just a slob with a cranky knee and sore back.  :P

Brazen

Thanks guys, that is truly awesome and far more useful that any two-minute MOD soundbite :hugs: Let me know by PM if you're happy to let me use your names, final rank and dates of service, otherwise I'll keep your comment anonymous.