Languish military people and vets to me! Researching fitness article

Started by Brazen, June 02, 2016, 07:52:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on June 02, 2016, 11:05:44 PM...until I got to the boat. 

My dad, ex-Navy who served on guided-missile destroyers, always gets peeved when naval vessels (exc. patrol craft) are referred to as "boats".

He says,"It's a 'She' and it's a 'Ship'. "

lustindarkness

Quote from: citizen k on June 03, 2016, 02:50:17 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on June 02, 2016, 11:05:44 PM...until I got to the boat. 

My dad, ex-Navy who served on guided-missile destroyers, always gets peeved when naval vessels (exc. patrol craft) are referred to as "boats".

Unless it is a bubble head talking about a submarine.  :pirate
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

MadBurgerMaker

Meh.

Capetan Mihali

What was that little boat nomenclature discussion that went awry...? :lol:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

grumbler

Eh.  We almost always said "boat" when speaking informally about our ship (I was also on destroyers). Formally, only subs and small craft are referred to as "boats."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

I tend to use ship and boat interchangeably, but I'm not salty enough to say "she."  It just feels odd when I do. 

11B4V

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on June 04, 2016, 07:25:13 PM
I tend to use ship and boat interchangeably, but I'm not salty enough to say "she."  It just feels odd when I do.

They'll send you to SAPR if you do.  :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

MadBurgerMaker

Siege

Quote from: Brazen on June 02, 2016, 07:52:14 AM
I'm writing a freelance piece for one of my former publications about how military personnel manage to get overweight and unfit despite regular PT. Can anyone help me? Either rant below in usual Languish style, or if you'd be willing to be interviewed via email or over Facebook Messenger and quoted (anonymously if needed) let me know. The more different countries I can include the better!

A recent Freedom of Information (FOI) request found that the British military has resorted to diet pills and liposuction to trim down its recruits, prompting the question just how fit does a modern soldier need to be? Many roles are now IT and cyber focussed, or involve flying remotely piloted aircraft from an armchair. Does every role still need to individuals at the peak of fitness?

If you are or have been in the military, what was your fitness regime like? What could be done better to better ensure recruits who have to pass vigorous tests to join stay fit throughout their careers?

Would the type of tech that helps civilians keep fit, like fitness trackers, help, or would they be a security risk?

Here's an article that quotes the original Times piece, which is behind a paywall.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/157171/20160511/british-soldiers-prescribed-diet-pills-and-liposuction-to-combat-weight-problems.htm

http://forces.tv/48021736

Where to start.
First off, your assumption that most military MOS today are IT are wrong. Very few people gets to fly drones, and most drone flyers you find online are possers. That documentary in Netflix is fuck up fake. Visit TAH this aint hell for a dosis of reality.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Secondly,  yes, you need to be fit regardless of MOS because it reflects on the whole performance on the BF, battlefield. IT guys do provide valuable services for us grunts when assigned to our COPs, combat outposts. There is no mission without sigint, signal intelligence, meaning your vaunted IT guys. Every sucker is a rifleman when it comes to COP defense, so pogs, people other than grunts, need to be in shape too.

Siege

Third, people overweight or so because they are fat fucks. If have heard the whole argument that people today are just bigger because of the reality of our lifestyle in the West and we have to make do with what we have. Bullshit.

People are fat because they are fat fucks, meaning lazy. If you do PT as mandated on all infantry bases, an hour and a half daily, you will be in shape and pass height and weight by Army standards.

But pog units on my infantry base do PT their own way, meaning not to Army standards. No wonder they have a problem with height and weight.

Siege

In other words, military guys don't get unfit despite regular PT. They get unfit for NOT doing regular PT and eating like pigs. Enforce regular PT, fire people who fail to maintain PT standards, and the Army will be top fit.

Siege

Which we largely do this days. You fail a PT test and don't make it on your make up test, and you are done with the Army.

Unless you are not infantry, and you are a pog, and allowed to have a P2 profile, meaning you can do your job despite being a fat fuck due to injury in the job or such excuse.

Fuck that. You can't have a P2 profile in the infantry, so why can pogs have it? Eliminate P2 profiles, fire all fat fucks. We got plenty of dudes willing to do the job.