News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Peter Thiel vs Gawker

Started by Jacob, May 30, 2016, 12:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on June 04, 2016, 09:14:11 AM

In libel case, it is very easy to find a lawyer that will take your case, if it is remotely serious, and sue the big media.  He will then take a portion of the settlement as payment.
Do you have any evidence that this is true, or is this just something you felt you needed to assert in order to avoid acknowledging that you may be incorrect?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on June 04, 2016, 03:49:50 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 04, 2016, 09:14:11 AM

In libel case, it is very easy to find a lawyer that will take your case, if it is remotely serious, and sue the big media.  He will then take a portion of the settlement as payment.
Do you have any evidence that this is true, or is this just something you felt you needed to assert in order to avoid acknowledging that you may be incorrect?

I suspect it's the latter.  :secret:

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on June 04, 2016, 03:49:50 PM
Ah, so, there isn't anything as lawyer firms calling prospective clients once they're named by certain medias and offering them to sue on their behalf for a share of the settlement?

I know for a fact it happens in Quebec.  And I suspect it is very similar in the US, given your system.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on June 05, 2016, 10:59:29 AM
Ah, so, there isn't anything as lawyer firms calling prospective clients once they're named by certain medias and offering them to sue on their behalf for a share of the settlement?

I ran this through my google Gibberish-to-English translator and it still came out as gibberish.

Do you have any evidence that it is true that "in libel case[sic], it is very easy to find a lawyer that will take your case, if it is remotely serious, and sue the big media"?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Capetan Mihali

Grumbler, you do this with regularity and have done so for a long time so saying this is unlikely to change your behavior, but "[sic]"ing and ridiculing the syntax of non-native English speakers is ugly to watch.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Martinus

True but isn't viper Canadian? I thought they speak English there...

grumbler

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 06, 2016, 06:23:09 AM
Grumbler, you do this with regularity and have done so for a long time so saying this is unlikely to change your behavior, but "[sic]"ing and ridiculing the syntax of non-native English speakers is ugly to watch.

Mihali, you are correct.  I will continue to use [sic] properly, even if you don't like it and think it is ugly to watch.

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on June 06, 2016, 05:54:12 AM

I ran this through my google Gibberish-to-English translator and it still came out as gibberish.

Do you have any evidence that it is true that "in libel case[sic], it is very easy to find a lawyer that will take your case, if it is remotely serious, and sue the big media"?
It's not like you would ever admit being wrong, even when presented with all the evidence, as witnessed in many other threads, including the Game of Thrones one, so why would I waste my time with you? :)  If you can't even admit you are wrong when discussing trivial things like a TV show, why on earth will you admit anything else? :)

I'll leave you to discuss with Raz, he has the patience for you, I don't.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on June 06, 2016, 09:19:54 AM
It's not like you would ever admit being wrong, even when presented with all the evidence, as witnessed in many other threads, including the Game of Thrones one, so why would I waste my time with you? :)  If you can't even admit you are wrong when discussing trivial things like a TV show, why on earth will you admit anything else? :)

I'll leave you to discuss with Raz, he has the patience for you, I don't.

So the answer is "no."  That's what I thought.  :lol:

I have no idea what the really lame attempt to red-herring away your lack of proof by citing some unknown thing in the GoT thread is about, but don't care, either.

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on June 06, 2016, 09:12:29 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 06, 2016, 06:23:09 AM

Mihali, you are correct.  I will continue to use [sic] properly, even if you don't like it and think it is ugly to watch.

You are sic.

grumbler

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Most states rules prohibit that kind of solicitation.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Just learned that Peter Thiel is trying to become a Trump delegate.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 06, 2016, 12:08:14 PM
Just learned that Peter Thiel is trying to become a Trump delegate.

:cheers: