News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Peter Thiel vs Gawker

Started by Jacob, May 30, 2016, 12:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2016, 09:27:26 AM
Does the First Amendment compel me to approve of everything?

Au contraire.  It doesn't compel you to approve of anything.  Certainly not the horrific shitshow that is Terry Bollea and Nick Denton.  But it also doesn't allow one to suppress or destroy that which one finds obnoxious.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2016, 09:27:26 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 19, 2016, 09:25:41 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 19, 2016, 07:35:52 AM
God forbid a media outlet should be fun. Pearl clutching aside there's nothing wrong with tabloid fun or a style that manages to still seem like a personal blog.

The biggest crime of any journalism is to be boring. Gawker was never that.

Our American posters are forgetting that the First Amendment protects freedom of the press.  Not freedom of "journalism"

Does the First Amendment compel me to approve of everything? Damn. Is happiness also mandatory?

Our American lawyer posters are forgetting that the First Amendment isn't about their personal tastes in journalism, it is about free speech.  Including yours.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 19, 2016, 07:44:35 AM
Don't have to be a shock-jock. The FT isn't boring, neither's Politico - they're just niche which is fine. But if they're putting out stuff that noone can be arsed, to read then they deserve to fail. The key for any journo is to be interesting and engaging because they're asking us to take the time out to read them :)

I absolutely disagree.  Proper journalism is about telling a compelling and relevant story, not about being a compelling and relevant journalist.  Better stories should be the goal, not better storytellers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on August 19, 2016, 08:55:57 PM
I absolutely disagree.  Proper journalism is about telling a compelling and relevant story, not about being a compelling and relevant journalist.  Better stories should be the goal, not better storytellers.
I probably wasn't clear I mean for their writing and work to be interesting and engaging. Whether that's just on style points, for content or both I think is much of a muchness and different people will have different preferences. The only thing they can't be is dull.

For Gawker their whole approach was closer to blogging - which is always personal and depends on a voice. Like Andrew Sullivan (the only other example I can think of as an early blogger who defined the form) that voice was part of the reason to read. The stories are normally available elsewhere even if they break it. As someone pointed out, journalists are more fun to chat to in a pub than read in print and Gawker tried to close that gap. In general their work was too good (huge number of stories about domestic abuse by sportsmen which I think have mattered, Rob Ford) to be totally happy they're closing and too awful (they were, very often, bullies) to be martyrs.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 19, 2016, 09:23:07 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 19, 2016, 08:55:57 PM
I probably wasn't clear I mean for their writing and work to be interesting and engaging. Whether that's just on style points, for content or both I think is much of a muchness and different people will have different preferences. The only thing they can't be is dull.

For Gawker their whole approach was closer to blogging - which is always personal and depends on a voice. Like Andrew Sullivan (the only other example I can think of as an early blogger who defined the form) that voice was part of the reason to read. The stories are normally available elsewhere even if they break it. As someone pointed out, journalists are more fun to chat to in a pub than read in print and Gawker tried to close that gap. In general their work was too good (huge number of stories about domestic abuse by sportsmen which I think have mattered, Rob Ford) to be totally happy they're closing and too awful (they were, very often, bullies) to be martyrs.

Bloggers are not journalists.  They are the equivalent of the old op-ed writers.  And you have been quite clear that, for you, style can substitute for substance.  I just don't happen to agree.  I think that there is writing for entertainment, and there is writing for communication, and that journalists do the latter, while Gawker et al do the former.  There is nothing wrong with writing for entertainment - that's what we all do here, after all, but I don't consider the writers here to be journalists any more than the Gawker writers were.   "Write whatever you want, however you want, as long as you get page views" isn't journalism.

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Bloggers can be journalists it depends if they're reporting or just commentating/analysing.

They were reporting too - as I say, see the Rob Ford stuff and NFL domestic violence cases. They broke stories and were a model for other new media sites like Buzzfeed who've now branched out into genuinely excellent journalism as well as internet snark/lists/cats. I think it's a bit like when the picture, scandal and murder heavy tabloids - like the Picture Post - came out in early twentieth century. It's just a slightly different approach.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 20, 2016, 05:40:51 AM
Bloggers can be journalists it depends if they're reporting or just commentating/analysing.

They were reporting too - as I say, see the Rob Ford stuff and NFL domestic violence cases. They broke stories and were a model for other new media sites like Buzzfeed who've now branched out into genuinely excellent journalism as well as internet snark/lists/cats. I think it's a bit like when the picture, scandal and murder heavy tabloids - like the Picture Post - came out in early twentieth century. It's just a slightly different approach.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, I think.  I simply don't accept that the difference between being a journalist and not being a journalist is whether or not you are reporting new information.  To me, journalism is about reporting all the facts available in a manner that gives the reader confidence that the story contains all the relevant facts and that the facts reported are true.  Journalists have editors (and, ideally, fact-checkers) and a reputation for professionalism to maintain.  I reject your concept that Ed Anger becomes a journalist when he describes here, first-person, his latest bowel movement.

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on August 19, 2016, 08:52:59 PM
Our American lawyer posters are forgetting that the First Amendment isn't about their personal tastes in journalism, it is about free speech.  Including yours.

?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: grumbler on August 20, 2016, 06:19:12 AM
To me, journalism is about reporting all the facts available in a manner that gives the reader confidence that the story contains all the relevant facts and that the facts reported are true.

So you consider journalism a fictional construct?

:)

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on August 20, 2016, 06:19:12 AM
  I reject your concept that Ed Anger becomes a journalist when he describes here, first-person, his latest bowel movement.

Indeed. He becomes a scientist, according to Real Peer Review.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

It sucked.  "The NY Times did stuff just as bad.  boo hoo hoo."