Archaeologists do it in holes: Tales from the stratigraphy

Started by Maladict, May 27, 2016, 02:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on July 11, 2023, 12:55:44 PM"Ivory Man" turns out to be "Ivory Woman".

Copper Age grave on Iberian peninsula with massive amounts of ivory grave goods (and wine and cannabis), as well grave offerings several generations afterwards.

Kind of cool grave that I knew nothing about: https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/the-ivory-lady-spain-1.6902157

Once again archaeology student's post-dig evening shindigs contaminant excavation.  :mad:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

A lake in Ontario is the location of the golden spike identifying the start of the anthropocene in 1952

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-anthropocene-crawford-lake/

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Sorry, I meant to use a gifted link.  This should work

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/gift/519974dc5e28f762a87fb14c1570523f4fb873adfcfcb945043907ccc3c41650/CNRX7YAMEVFE7N2I6A4EI2KADA/

It is a lengthy article which describes the growing evidence of a new epoch defined by human alteration of the planet, and why the Lake in Ontario helps to make that scientific case by being the best site, of a number considered around the world, for geological evidence of the start of a new age.

One of the things that is striking is how rapid the change has been.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Helping out at the museum festival today, nice afternoon, the place certainly has a fair few good friends, Phil Harding from 'Time Team' is one, he gave an excellent talk apparently, all on his own time and for no fee and was happy to hang around til late chatting with the visitors, a most decent down to earth bloke.

A bit of an archeo-groupie feel amongst some of the staff/volunteers as Alice Roberts is coming in a few days to give a talk about her new book, an 'archaeological novel' set in the ice age. 

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2023, 02:26:01 PMAlice Roberts  :wub:

She probably gets quite a bit of unwanted or at least over attention from her fans.  :P

I certainly won't be attending the event.

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on July 24, 2023, 02:54:09 PM

She probably gets quite a bit of unwanted or at least over attention from her fans.  :P

Why not? Her books are brilliant.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 25, 2023, 08:57:34 AM
Quote from: mongers on July 24, 2023, 02:54:09 PM

Why not? Her books are brilliant.

It's really a parents/children event, and I don't do children events at the museum as I can't hear a lot of what they saying.

Yes and I should catch up with her more recent books, 'Buried' looks good and one of its main subjects is 'our' Amesbury archer.

jimmy olsen

Genetic analysis seems to indicate that chromosome 2 fused around 800k to 1 million years ago, likely in the common ancestor of sapiens, neanderthals and denisovans.

However, if as John Haws thinks, their benchmark of Homo-Pan divergence is too early, then this fusing could be pushed back by 50%.

https://johnhawks.net/weblog/when-did-human-chromosome-2-fuse/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

She was pretty good in the Celts: Blood,  Iron and Sacrifice documentary.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.