Archaeologists do it in holes: Tales from the stratigraphy

Started by Maladict, May 27, 2016, 02:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I could read it.  I don't know Greek but I did know the word for purple.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

7500 years old woman from Gibraltar

Not gonna post text, it's too hard on my tablet, but it's a modern human, not a Neanderthal.

And she looks Spanish, not British.  Damn rock.
:whistle: :blurgh:
:D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on November 26, 2023, 11:50:43 PM7500 years old woman from Gibraltar

Not gonna post text, it's too hard on my tablet, but it's a modern human, not a Neanderthal.

And she looks Spanish, not British.  Damn rock.
:whistle: :blurgh:
:D

To be fair/make my case for not being put against the wall if the fascists take over.

1: Gibraltans look like Gibraltans. :p
2: 7500 is perhaps a bit too recent, but go back a few thousand years more and for sure even people from the northern reaches of Europe (as far as was inhabited anyway) looked pretty dark. Though I do think Britain was pretty behind the curve on this so 7500 years sounds not unreasonable for even mainland Brits looking like so.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

I recently saw a link about LGBTQI messages being found on some Swedish runestones. "-Interesting!" I ejaculated and clicked the link. The link:

QuoteThree rune stones with LGBTQI messages have been found in Sweden, writes the newspaper Biblioteksbladet.

According to runic researchers, the engraving should be a message that whoever destroys the stone will become "ergi", which is described as "unmanly behaviour".

https://sverigesradio.se/artikel/flera-runstenar-med-hbtqi-budskap-hittade-i-sverige

Sorting "If you destroy this you're gay!" as an LGBTQI message is at least inclusive. But I still feel a little bit clickbaited.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: The Brain on November 27, 2023, 04:10:58 AMI recently saw a link about LGBTQI-messages being found on some Swedish runestones. "-Interesting!" I ejaculated and clicked the link. The link:

QuoteThree rune stones with LGBTQI messages have been found in Sweden, writes the newspaper Biblioteksbladet.

According to runic researchers, the engraving should be a message that whoever destroys the stone will become "ergi", which is described as "unmanly behaviour".

https://sverigesradio.se/artikel/flera-runstenar-med-hbtqi-budskap-hittade-i-sverige

Sorting "If you destroy this you're gay!" as an LGBTQI-message is at least inclusive. But I still feel a little bit clickbaited.

Reminds me of the recent bit of controversy in Britain about a trans Roman emperor.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67484645

I suspect a museum fishing for controversy/publicity. This isn't a figure I know anything about whatsoever, but given the short and unpopular reign it does seem smearing by enemies was a more likely explanation.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Josquius on November 27, 2023, 04:13:11 AMReminds me of the recent bit of controversy in Britain about a trans Roman emperor.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67484645

I suspect a museum fishing for controversy/publicity. This isn't a figure I know anything about whatsoever, but given the short and unpopular reign it does seem smearing by enemies was a more likely explanation.

There certainly should be caution because of source bias, but a case could be made for Elagabalus. Although applying modern labels to Roman times is perhaps another matter.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on November 27, 2023, 04:10:58 AMI recently saw a link about LGBTQI messages being found on some Swedish runestones. "-Interesting!" I ejaculated and clicked the link. The link:

Sorting "If you destroy this you're gay!" as an LGBTQI message is at least inclusive. But I still feel a little bit clickbaited.

Yeah... and while I'm no expert I believe that translating "ergi" to "gay" is a bit problematic also. As I understand it, some behaviours and actions we would consider gay were considered "ergi" but some were not. Conversely, some things that were "ergi" would are not related to modern concepts of gayness.

crazy canuck

I wonder if anyone would say the Theban Sacred Band was ergi  :hmm:

Legbiter

Quote from: The Brain on November 27, 2023, 04:10:58 AMSorting "If you destroy this you're gay!" as an LGBTQI message is at least inclusive. But I still feel a little bit clickbaited.

:lol:

In the Icelandic Commonwealth period publicly calling someone argur was considered a vile form of níð, the offended party could kill the níðing in retaliation.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

Quote from: Legbiter on November 27, 2023, 11:58:38 AM
Quote from: The Brain on November 27, 2023, 04:10:58 AMSorting "If you destroy this you're gay!" as an LGBTQI message is at least inclusive. But I still feel a little bit clickbaited.

In the Icelandic Commonwealth period publicly calling someone argur was considered a vile form of níð, the offended party could kill the níðing in retaliation.

Your country was founded by teenage boys wasn't it
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

From my recent readings...

A man who was anally penetrated would be ergi, as would one who wore women's clothing. I believe (but am not certain) that the penetrating partner would not be seen as "ergi", though I'm not sure how clear the sources are there.

Men who practiced seidr and other forms of sorcery were considered ergi (and usually the practioners were women, but there were male practitioners as well). As I understand it "ergi" was a degrading state of being outside of social conventions, but power could also be derived from it.

Odin engaged in "ergi" behaviours - he brought seidr to humanity, and wandered from house to house as a common fortune teller (according to Lokasenna) - and Loki did as well (mothering children).

crazy canuck

So the translation should be, if you destroy this stone you will become a god.