Archaeologists do it in holes: Tales from the stratigraphy

Started by Maladict, May 27, 2016, 02:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on September 19, 2022, 07:38:39 PMWell preserved Byzantine mosaic found in Gaza by Palestinian farmers
Link

Wow that is beautiful, looks like it was made yesterday.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

In Nineveh? Didn't Xenophon indicate it was just a ruin by his time? (much less the Hellenistic period)
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 21, 2022, 11:30:12 AMIn Nineveh? Didn't Xenophon indicate it was just a ruin by his time? (much less the Hellenistic period)
I'm going by memory, having read this elsewhere a little while ago, but basically, threy didn't only misplace it geographically, but in time too, but a few hundred years.

From Wikipedia:

QuoteThe Hanging Gardens are the only one of the Seven Wonders for which the location has not been definitively established.[6] There are no extant Babylonian texts that mention the gardens, and no definitive archaeological evidence has been found in Babylon.[7][8] Three theories have been suggested to account for this: firstly, that they were purely mythical, and the descriptions found in ancient Greek and Roman writings (including those of Strabo, Diodorus Siculus and Quintus Curtius Rufus) represented a romantic ideal of an eastern garden;[9] secondly, that they existed in Babylon, but were destroyed sometime around the first century AD;[10][4] and thirdly, that the legend refers to a well-documented garden that the Assyrian King Sennacherib (704–681 BC) built in his capital city of Nineveh on the River Tigris, near the modern city of Mosul.[11][1]
Built around 704-681BC instead of 605-562.  So, 150 years earlier than what was previously assumed by historical texts.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on September 21, 2022, 11:30:12 AMIn Nineveh? Didn't Xenophon indicate it was just a ruin by his time? (much less the Hellenistic period)

The article says that the Greeks mixing the two cities up was not unprecedented.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

There's a new museum/ visitor attraction opening in Winchester soon, it's going to be called AD878, so Saxon/Viking stuff, overseen by the Hampshire Cultural Trust, who run a lot of museums across the county.

Its being set up in co-operation with ......

Ubisoft :blink:

So a heavy Assassin's Creed vibe is likely, full details here:
https://www.hampshireculture.org.uk/news/major-new-visitor-attraction-open-winchester-autumn

QuoteA major new visitor attraction recreating a key moment in Winchester's Anglo-Saxon history, brought to life using incredible visuals from the video game franchise Assassin's Creed®, is opening in the city's centre.

878 AD is a unique, interactive experience that will take visitors back to a pivotal point not only in the history of the city, but in the history of England as an emerging, unified nation: the defeat of the Vikings by Alfred the Great at the Battle of Edington in May 878. Opening at Winchester's The Brooks Shopping Centre in November, 878 AD will recreate the atmosphere of the city and the lives of the people who lived in it on the eve of the battle, as they anxiously await its outcome.

878 AD is the result of a unique collaboration between Winchester-based charity, Hampshire Cultural Trust, and Ubisoft, creator of the global best-selling gaming series Assassin's Creed and its educational experience, Discovery Tour, which is free of combat and adapted for audiences of all ages. Sugar Creative, one of the UK's leading immersive tech innovation studios, is the third partner in the collaboration. The attraction will give visitors an insight into Anglo-Saxon Winchester through live performance, immersive storytelling, innovative interpretation, contemporary Anglo-Saxon objects from Hampshire Cultural Trust's collections and interactive elements. Winchester featured heavily in the world of Assassin's Creed Valhalla, and 878 AD will draw on imagery and assets from the game to create an engaging representation of the city at the time.

Once visitors have discovered the result of the Battle of Edington at The Brooks Shopping Centre, they will be able to journey through Alfred's legacy in the second part of the 878 AD experience: 878 AD: Winchester Revealed, an app which has been specially developed by Sugar Creative. Using the power of augmented reality technology, users will visit key historical points throughout Winchester to uncover the past and bring to life Anglo-Saxon buildings and people, revealing stories and activities along the way.

Wasn't sure what thread to put this in, could have put it in the video games section!
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"