If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Even if 3/4 of your budget goes there.

Started by viper37, May 25, 2016, 05:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

US government is spending billions on old tech that barely works, says watchdog

The US government spent most of its annual IT budget last year on maintaining systems that, in some cases, are decades-old -- largely because of an "if it ain't broke" mentality.
But the problem is that some of the tech is broken, vulnerable, and out of date -- and it's starting to reach a breaking point.
A report from the Government Accountability Office (GAO) shed light on how big the problem is. In a report published Wednesday, the federal government spent $80 billion on IT systems in 2015, but $61 billion was spent on operations and maintenance. The rest was on development and enhancement, such as purchasing new systems or expanding existing ones.
[...]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

LaCroix

how much of the $61 billion spent on operations and maintenance was spent on the "broken, vulnerable, and out of date" tech? (edit) and how is "vulnerable" and "out of date" defined?

frunk

1/4 of your tech budget on new development sounds pretty reasonable, especially for an organization that's been around for decades.  I think that's way higher than my company.

viper37

Quote from: LaCroix on May 25, 2016, 06:03:17 PM
how much of the $61 billion spent on operations and maintenance was spent on the "broken, vulnerable, and out of date" tech? (edit) and how is "vulnerable" and "out of date" defined?
they don't say.  However:
QuoteThe situation is so bad that Chaffetz said some government agencies are still running Windows 3.1, an operating system that dates back more than two decades.
You can infer that it is a lot.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

After finally seeing with my own two eyes how a major federal agency deals with IT projects--from selection to procurement, to go-live and support--staying with legacy systems actually seems to be the safer angle.

It is stunning to behold, actually.

DGuller

I think that's the case for many big organizations, especially if IT is a necessary evil for them rather than the tool for earning revenues.  It is also exacerbated if the organization has a lot of people who have worked there for decades.  There aren't too many people out there who are willing to learn new things once they hit 40 or so, so if you propose replacing something that already works and they know how to use, they will immediately become hostile to the idea.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on May 25, 2016, 06:11:16 PM
However:
QuoteThe situation is so bad that Chaffetz said some government agencies are still running Windows 3.1, an operating system that dates back more than two decades.
You can infer that it is a lot.

I have a little birdie over on Nebraska Ave that said a certain agency of intelligence that is central still uses Lotus 123 for certain types of budgets; he wouldn't have believed it if he didn't see it for himself.  That, and seeing a real, live Netscape in its own natural habitat.

viper37

woah!  I used that in 1994-95 at the Canadian Federal governement :)
But that was cutting edge technology then :P

Monoriu

As long as it works.  We have a lot of systems that date from the 80s.  They still work.  To some extent  :ph34r:  Developing new systems is a gigantic pain.  First we need to seek approval from the legislature.  Next we have to follow WTO rules in inviting tender.  Then we have to deal with the contractor.  When they inevitably fail, we have to pick up the pieces, like getting approval for more civil service posts so that we can do the job inhouse.  This entire process takes like a decade or more.  Compared with that, keeping the 80s system running is easier. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 25, 2016, 06:10:59 PM
Why do you homos not have avatars?

I don't understand what's the big deal with avatars.  I turn them off, so I never see what your avatar is. 

DGuller

Avatars make it easier to identify posts, because a picture is easier to recognize than a word.  It also broadcasts your persanolity to the rest of the forum.

LaCroix

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on May 25, 2016, 07:57:02 PM
Avatars make it easier to identify posts, because a picture is easier to recognize than a word.  It also broadcasts your persanolity to the rest of the forum.

Your personality is "Duffman"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on May 25, 2016, 10:20:14 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 25, 2016, 07:57:02 PM

Your personality is "Duffman"?
:cool: