If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Even if 3/4 of your budget goes there.

Started by viper37, May 25, 2016, 05:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on May 25, 2016, 10:20:14 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 25, 2016, 07:57:02 PM
Avatars make it easier to identify posts, because a picture is easier to recognize than a word.  It also broadcasts your persanolity to the rest of the forum.

Your personality is "Duffman"?

My personality is definitely granite and ice.  :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 25, 2016, 06:47:47 PM
After finally seeing with my own two eyes how a major federal agency deals with IT projects--from selection to procurement, to go-live and support--staying with legacy systems actually seems to be the safer angle.

It is stunning to behold, actually.

The justice system in Alberta is all run on this old COBOL-written, CLI-only piece of software called JOIN.  It's fairly powerful in it's own way - a skilled person can pull all kinds of information out of it.  But it reminds me when in the mid-90s I worked for AECL and had to use a VAX terminal - all about remembering obscure text commands and keystroke combinations in order to do anything.

As I understand it they would love to move away from it, but the data-migration issues make it nearly impossible.  So either they break all backwards-compatibility (because right now it keeps records from today all the way back to the mid-90s), or try and maintain two simultaneous systems at the same time.

I can see why they keep chugging along with JOIN, but the necessity to move to a more modern system is only going to grow over time.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

I think the ratio is similar in all big organisations that don't use software as their main means of production. Replacing IT assets is expensive and it often just does not make economic sense to replace a system that does its job reasonably well.

That said I am currently working on replacing a 25 year old legacy application. One of the reasons we do it now is that the experts are "dying out" fast.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on May 26, 2016, 09:37:21 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 25, 2016, 10:20:14 PM
Avatars make it easier to identify posts, because a picture is easier to recognize than a word.  It also broadcasts your persanolity to the rest of the forum.

Your personality is "Duffman"?

My personality is definitely granite and ice.  :cool:

My personality is ... oh wait.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on May 26, 2016, 09:42:50 AM
I can see why they keep chugging along with JOIN, but the necessity to move to a more modern system is only going to grow over time.
that's what happens when you wait too long.

had they performed smaller upgrades over the years, it is likely they would have had tools to preserve compatibility with the data.  30 years later?  Pretty hard to find.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

LOL, Shareholder Value, Inc., didn't give two shits about preserving data compatibility, and only wished legacy people actually would die off.  It was the fact that every year the System 390 mainframe and its DB2 database continued to work flawlessly was one more year of having to employ the mainframe team--and nothing made the CFO see pure red more than the realization that vested employees from the '90s still walked the earth receiving a salary.

DGuller

Good god, mainframe.  :bleeding: It works well when your definitions of what "works" hasn't changed in 30 years, and never will.  God forbid if you're the kind of employee who actually is motivated enough to want to improve things, and have to report to people with Seedy's mindset.  That will knock such silly notions out of you in a hurry, if you're not smart enough to seek new employment soon.

CountDeMoney

Hey, capital projects require capital allocations.  Don't want to spend the money to replace the mainframe? Don't bitch about spending the money to maintain it.  Isn't that what the IG's report is all about: throwing new money at old solutions?

Don't worry, DG, it all had a happy ending:  those mainframe guys got their just desserts from Murders & Acquisitions.

LOL, "the kind of employee motivated enough to want to improve things", too funny.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 26, 2016, 02:10:32 PM
LOL, "the kind of employee motivated enough to want to improve things", too funny.
Yes, they do exist.  Until they get tested by the wise old cynics, then their numbers start decreasing.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on May 26, 2016, 02:14:40 PM
Yes, they do exist.  Until they get tested by the wise old cynics, then their numbers start decreasing.

If only you were there to pull all that capital project money out of your ass to replace that mainframe.  Because, you know, nobody ever tried.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 26, 2016, 02:18:34 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 26, 2016, 02:14:40 PM

If only you were there to pull all that capital project money out of your ass to replace that mainframe.  Because, you know, nobody ever tried.

He could have done it.  After all, he was in a Capital Project Club in college.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on May 26, 2016, 09:42:50 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 25, 2016, 06:47:47 PM
After finally seeing with my own two eyes how a major federal agency deals with IT projects--from selection to procurement, to go-live and support--staying with legacy systems actually seems to be the safer angle.

It is stunning to behold, actually.

The justice system in Alberta is all run on this old COBOL-written, CLI-only piece of software called JOIN.  It's fairly powerful in it's own way - a skilled person can pull all kinds of information out of it.  But it reminds me when in the mid-90s I worked for AECL and had to use a VAX terminal - all about remembering obscure text commands and keystroke combinations in order to do anything.

As I understand it they would love to move away from it, but the data-migration issues make it nearly impossible.  So either they break all backwards-compatibility (because right now it keeps records from today all the way back to the mid-90s), or try and maintain two simultaneous systems at the same time.

In your case, there would be significant advantages to society if all backward compatibility were lost. Think of all the clean slates.  :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

If you hear Marti tell it, I'm projecting that I'm an ISIS murderess. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on May 26, 2016, 01:55:45 PM
Good god, mainframe.  :bleeding: It works well when your definitions of what "works" hasn't changed in 30 years, and never will. 

Do you think that life in Alpha Complex can be improved?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Zanza on May 26, 2016, 10:13:23 AM
That said I am currently working on replacing a 25 year old legacy application. One of the reasons we do it now is that the experts are "dying out" fast.

So are the hackers who know how to manipulate those old systems. Maybe they are actually more secure.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers