Green Energy Revolution Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, May 19, 2016, 10:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on January 05, 2023, 11:12:28 AMHoly Steam punk batman.

Diesel punk, I'd say.

It's one of the world's largest vehicles.

Sheilbh

Love that riot police heavy industry combo :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on January 05, 2023, 11:10:44 AMLooks like the machine can defend itself pretty well, I'm sure it could transform into a mecha if necessary.  :P

I think my son got that mecha for Christmas

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

I love it so much I'd let it eat a few more villages.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zanza

Quote from: The Larch on January 05, 2023, 11:10:44 AMLooks like the machine can defend itself pretty well, I'm sure it could transform into a mecha if necessary.  :P

Is that one related to the Bagger 288 of internet fame?
Could be. The Garzweiler open pit mine has seven bucket wheel excavators, among them the famous Bagger 288.

Edit: actually related for sure, but it could even be 288 itself.

Zanza

These are the remains of the village with the mine in the background. As you can see, lots of activists Camping there right now. Police said that they will likely storm it end of the week.

Syt

If it's good enough for Star Wars .... :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

That's like 5 houses and a shed :P I was expecting more from a "village"
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Swedish state-owned mining company LKAB has announced a major (correction HUGE) find of rare earth metals.

QuoteHUGE discovery of rare earth metals made in Sweden's Kiruna
By Matthew Roscoe • 12 January 2023 • 12:34

ACCORDING to a mining company in Sweden's Kiruna, Europe's largest rare earth metals deposit has been discovered.

The mining company LKAB claim to have discovered the largest find of rare earth metals in Europe and has revealed that one million tonnes could be mined next to LKAB's mine in Sweden's Kiruna.

"It is the largest known deposit of rare earth metals in our part of the world and could become a significant building block for obtaining the critical raw materials that are absolutely crucial to enable the green transition, said Jan Moström, president and CEO of LKAB.

"We are facing a supply problem. Without mines, we have no electric cars."

Moström noted that only a small part had been examined so far but the rare earth metals in the Per Geijer area in Kiruna were necessary for, among other things, the manufacture of electric cars and wind turbines.

The CEO of LKAB said that most of Europe's metals, like the ones in question, come from China.

"China is completely dominant, both for mining and refining," Moström said.

"It involves a risk. China may no longer want to supply raw materials, but for example only finished cars."

Talking to SVT, Leif Boström, director of the Special Products business area at LKAB, added: "LKAB is already planning a circular industrial park in Luleå with new technology for the extraction and processing of phosphorus, earth elements and fluorine based on today's existing mine production."

"Where, instead of depositing this as waste as today, new sustainable products are created. Planned start of production is 2027."

https://euroweeklynews.com/2023/01/12/rare-earth-metals-sweden-kiruna/
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Will they have to move the town again?
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Josquius on January 12, 2023, 07:13:47 AMWill they have to move the town again?

My impression is that they won't have to.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

So China will start their war before 2027 then. Thanks Sweden :P

grumbler

Rare earth elements are not rare.  China dominated mining and processing because labor there is cheap, not because they have any sort of monopoly on the ore.  US production amounts to about 15% of the current global extraction, up sharply since the decision to subsidize production.  US processing remains much lower than extraction, but that, too, is changing.

It's fair for Sweden to have the largest deposit in Europe, since Swedes pretty much invented the industry.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!