News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Green Energy Revolution Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, May 19, 2016, 10:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 12, 2022, 03:59:00 AMThat's an incredible projection

It is amazing how fast it has all happened. It just shows what can happen when people start caring about a problem.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 12, 2022, 01:31:34 PMSort of relevant - but I thought this thread was interesting on the way that European countries almost all vastly undertax oil and gas while overtaxing electricity in relation to their externalities:
https://twitter.com/janrosenow/status/1602219669791784961?s=20&t=O6ZlW_shoESiudQiVhF0kA

For example, "The UK undertaxes gas and gas oil by 96% and 73% respectively, while overtaxing electricity by 140% excluding the  UK ETS and 212% including the UK ETS.":
[imwork to protect people on low incomes.

And the UK continues to deny it subsidises oil.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on December 13, 2022, 06:20:10 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 12, 2022, 01:31:34 PMSort of relevant - but I thought this thread was interesting on the way that European countries almost all vastly undertax oil and gas while overtaxing electricity in relation to their externalities:
https://twitter.com/janrosenow/status/1602219669791784961?s=20&t=O6ZlW_shoESiudQiVhF0kA

For example, "The UK undertaxes gas and gas oil by 96% and 73% respectively, while overtaxing electricity by 140% excluding the  UK ETS and 212% including the UK ETS.":
[imwork to protect people on low incomes.

And the UK continues to deny it subsidises oil.

Undertaxing is not the same as subsidising.

Gups

And the study Sheilbh cites doesn't refer to tax on oil but to "gas oil", that is kerosene.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 12, 2022, 06:24:29 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on December 12, 2022, 01:02:41 PMthat's gonna mean a lot of gas burning as a backup.
not that end consumer will notice a drop in prices anyway.
New car sales in China and the five largest EU countries are over 25% EV and are increasing year over year.

Oil prices are going going to crater over the next decade as demand drops through the floor.

we'll see, but predictions have a way of not coming to pass.
Especially with half the world still needing to industrialise.

grumbler

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on December 13, 2022, 06:14:41 PMwe'll see, but predictions have a way of not coming to pass.
Especially with half the world still needing to industrialise.

Caution is advised, but the USDOE estimates that the cost to build and operate electrical generation facilities will favor renewables within the next 5 years.  Solar in particular.  So industrialization need not imply increased CO2 emissions.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Some poor policy choices were made here or else we could have already phased out coal like our peers.  :(

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Gups on December 13, 2022, 01:03:38 PMAnd the study Sheilbh cites doesn't refer to tax on oil but to "gas oil", that is kerosene.

Actually, gas oil is roughly diesel fuel though sometimes a distinction is made with gas oil being less taxed.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Zanza on December 23, 2022, 09:45:25 AMSome poor policy choices were made here or else we could have already phased out coal like our peers.  :(

The UK's performance has been very impressive.

Natural gas and wind replaced all of that I assume.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Denmark kicked ass.  France wins overall.

mongers

I wonder if there's some correlation between energy efficiency across the whole economy and a higher standard of living?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Obviously a lot will depend on what's identified as "green", but this seems like a fairly important milestone:
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Germany is still mining lignite in open pits, which is very controversial. A small village will now be destroyed for one of those pits.

Here is riot police guarding a bucket wheel excavator against the protests:

The Larch

Looks like the machine can defend itself pretty well, I'm sure it could transform into a mecha if necessary.  :P

Is that one related to the Bagger 288 of internet fame?