News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Green Energy Revolution Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, May 19, 2016, 10:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

'Fun' fact, it will take a typical English tree* 46 or 53 days to absorb the the CO2 released from burning one gallon of petrol or diesel respectively.

US gallon figures are 38 days for petrol and 44 for diesel.

* average daily sequestration of a 220 year old mature oak tree over it's lifespan.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Why are British tree so comparatively bad?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Quote from: Jacob on July 17, 2017, 12:51:58 PM
Quote from: Zanza on July 10, 2017, 11:35:40 AM
If you have a free floating fleet, i.e. not stations but cars that can you can enter and leave wherever you like, it should be able to self-balance by driving around empty. That should make wait times much shorter as the fleet can always have empty cars positione where demand is expected.

We have both. The issues around the free floating fleets centre around the mass commutes. If you need a car in a residential neighbourhood on a workday morning, you better get out early. Similarly, if you need a car at the just-outside-the-centre train stations at the end of the workday you need to time it so you beat the rush.

Conversely, if you need a car from the just-outside-the-centre train station in the morning, you'll have plenty - or if you need one in a not too distant residential area after the day is done.
If the cars can go back to where there is demand on their own, you'll get much better coverage. Those peaks and missing cars in certain locations can then be countered.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on July 17, 2017, 09:34:03 AM
Withdrawing from the Paris accord was completely pointless as, like the article says, we were on course to exceed those levels anyway. But then the Paris Accord itself was pretty much pointless anyway.

It's pointless only if you think all that matters are concrete legally enforceable rules.  The Paris accords are about the governments of the world making a show of their rhetorical commitments.  It may be theater, but Trump is about theater over substance.  Pulling out has meaning to him, and diplomatically it has meaning to the Rest of the World.  So it matters because it matters.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 17, 2017, 03:05:01 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 17, 2017, 09:34:03 AM
Withdrawing from the Paris accord was completely pointless as, like the article says, we were on course to exceed those levels anyway. But then the Paris Accord itself was pretty much pointless anyway.

It's pointless only if you think all that matters are concrete legally enforceable rules.  The Paris accords are about the governments of the world making a show of their rhetorical commitments.  It may be theater, but Trump is about theater over substance.  Pulling out has meaning to him, and diplomatically it has meaning to the Rest of the World.  So it matters because it matters.

True.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Really, what do you mean by that?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: Zanza on July 17, 2017, 02:33:13 PM
If the cars can go back to where there is demand on their own, you'll get much better coverage. Those peaks and missing cars in certain locations can then be countered.

Oh I see you what you mean - if the cars are self-driving, they can redistribute to where the need is. Yeah that makes sense.

I was speaking of the current car sharing programs in Vancouver where the cars stay where they're left.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

No first growth woods at all. Probably very few trees older than a few hundred years at most.

That'd be my guess anyhow.

Jacob

About half of China had temperatures in excess of 60 degree Celsius (that's 140 degrees Fahrenheit).

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on July 24, 2017, 09:59:12 AM
About half of China had temperatures in excess of 60 degree Celsius (that's 140 degrees Fahrenheit).

Any link on that? Tried to search myself and old got info on an old heatwave with temps on metal surfaces in the 60s.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

I also searched and found reports of temperatures in CHina into +40C, with one township hitting +50, but that's still quite different from +60C.

Indeed the highest temperature ever recorded is only +54c.

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/china-in-the-grip-of-sweltering-heatwave-with-temperatures-hitting-50-deg-c

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest_temperature_recorded_on_Earth
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2017, 10:13:08 AM
Quote from: Jacob on July 24, 2017, 09:59:12 AM

Any link on that? Tried to search myself and old got info on an old heatwave with temps on metal surfaces in the 60s.

Screen cap from Chinese TV... but, on further conversation it turns out that the map shows "feels like" temperatures (in the sun, due to reflected heat from the roads etc) rather than actual measured temperatures which are, as BB links, in the 40s.

garbon

Ah gotcha. Not fun. I'd only questioned it because yeah I was like that's pretty darn hot!

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2017, 12:02:32 PM
Ah gotcha. Not fun. I'd only questioned it because yeah I was like that's pretty darn hot!

Yeah, I didn't realize it until you guys asked - I was relaying a breakfast conversation with my wife about a wechat message from her friend and how we're definitely not visiting China in the summer time. I should've vetted the details a bit more before I posted, because yeah 70+C as the map shows would've been beyond record breaking.