News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Green Energy Revolution Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, May 19, 2016, 10:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

How do ya' like them apples Yi.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-california-plan-for-100-renewable-1496258464-htmlstory.html
QuoteCalifornia plan for 100% renewable energy by 2045 clears key hurdle

California will receive all of its power from renewable energy, such as solar and wind power, by 2045 under legislation that passed the state Senate on Wednesday.

Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León (D-Los Angeles) touted his bill, Senate Bill 100, as the most ambitious program in the world.

"Clean energy is the future," De León said. "SB 100 ensures that California leads into the future."

The measure would also speed up the state's goal of reaching 50% renewable energy, changing the deadline from 2030 to 2026.

SB 100 passed over objections from Republican senators. Sen. Jeff Stone (R-Temecula) criticized the measure as government getting ahead of technological capacity.

"What if we can't make that mandate that we're putting into law today?" Stone said. "What it's going to do is drive up electricity bills for our businesses."

De León's bill now moves to the Assembly.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Is that even realistic?  :huh:

Ambitious goal, but seems to be putting the cart before the horse.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: celedhring on June 02, 2017, 07:43:08 AM

They had a goal to get 50% by 2030 with 25% by 2020. They've already hit 27%.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

Pff, Americans have brought a man to the moon and back in less than a decade. This is just a question of political will and some ingenuity.

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on June 02, 2017, 07:52:54 AM
Pff, Americans have brought a man to the moon and back in less than a decade. This is just a question of political will and some ingenuity.

Oxygen only lasted a week though. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

What apples are you referring to Timmy?

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2017, 11:24:17 AM
What apples are you referring to Timmy?

I think he might be confusing you for the other Asian.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 02, 2017, 07:32:47 AM

http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-california-plan-for-100-renewable-1496258464-htmlstory.html

California will receive all of its power from renewable energy, such as solar and wind power, by 2045 under legislation that passed the state Senate on Wednesday.

Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León (D-Los Angeles) touted his bill, Senate Bill 100, as the most ambitious program in the world.

"Clean energy is the future," De León said. "SB 100 ensures that California leads into the future."

The measure would also speed up the state's goal of reaching 50% renewable energy, changing the deadline from 2030 to 2026.

SB 100 passed over objections from Republican senators. Sen. Jeff Stone (R-Temecula) criticized the measure as government getting ahead of technological capacity.

"What if we can't make that mandate that we're putting into law today?" Stone said. "What it's going to do is drive up electricity bills for our businesses."

is this the reason the state's cost of living is ridiculous and the state is deep in debt?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

I thought the debt problem was a temporary blip that was taken care of. Anyway judging by the way things are going we may already be there well before 2045, most of these targets tend to be exceeded before their due dates. Though 100% is a bit much but there are all sorts of sneaky ways to claim victory with that sort of thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 02, 2017, 11:39:37 AM
Yi, don't be sour grapes.

I'm not.  My objection was to the symbolic nature of this kind of bill, not about the likelihood of passage.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on June 02, 2017, 07:43:08 AM

It could be. Remember many of their plants have to be updated by then anyway. It just may be a matter of decommissioning plants when their time has come and replacing them with renewables. But so much depends on technological advance. I could very well be met well before that date if things go their way without huge unusual expenses. Or not. I guess this is just a commitment to reaching that goal.

I prefer a system where we go over to 100% renewables in an organic way as technology makes them more competitive. Which has been happening but I guess this is just so politicians can take credit for it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 02, 2017, 07:32:47 AM

I thought that given the intermittent nature of pretty much all renewable energy sources, you literally couldn't hit 100% renewable.  Mass storage may eventually be the answer, but it doesn't exist yet.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

That is 10 years ago thinking. Mass Storage is technically possible. We have already had instances of utilities trying to install mass storage but it is controversial here because of the structure of our energy market.

But of course even if it wasn't you might still hit 100% at some point for a few minutes or two for political reasons :P