News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

UEFA Euro 2016

Started by Zanza, May 17, 2016, 12:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Big story in Germany right now as the deputy leader of the nationalist AfD has used Boateng and Özil to question their integration and society's acceptance of them beyond football.

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on June 07, 2016, 10:51:44 AM
Big story in Germany right now as the deputy leader of the nationalist AfD has used Boateng and Özil to question their integration and society's acceptance of them beyond football.

Was that before or after the Kinder chocolate-gate?  :P

Liep

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 07, 2016, 09:27:47 AM
Going Laurent Blanc on us Liep? Where's your PC?  :P

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/may/06/world/la-fg-france-soccer-20110506

QuoteLaurent Blanc, the national team manager, is heard saying he broadly agreed with limiting the number of nonwhite players who then "go on to play for North African or African teams." He backed a change of selection criteria to favor "boys ... with our own culture."

I just think it's sad that a kid who grew up in Denmark chose to play for another team because our sucks so enormously. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Zanza

Quote from: The Larch on June 07, 2016, 11:31:31 AM

Afterwards. Gauland said that Germans like Boateng as player, but wouldn't like him as a neighbour. He then said that he had never said that and after it became clear that he had indeed said it, said that he didn't know Boateng was colored. He went on to question whether players that post photos in front of the Kaaba in Mecca (Özil did) should represent Germany. He also used a bunch of well-known Neonazi slogans recently.

Valmy

Is that a bath robe? I guess the picture just makes it look fuzzy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on June 07, 2016, 11:41:34 AM
Quote from: The Larch on June 07, 2016, 11:31:31 AM

Afterwards. Gauland said that Germans like Boateng as player, but wouldn't like him as a neighbour. He then said that he had never said that and after it became clear that he had indeed said it, said that he didn't know Boateng was colored. He went on to question whether players that post photos in front of the Kaaba in Mecca (Özil did) should represent Germany. He also used a bunch of well-known Neonazi slogans recently.

Ah, I read the "not wanting Boateng as a neighbour" story. Apparently after he said that some paper went to talk with Boateng's real neighbours (at some upscale residential complex in Munich) and they all said that he's a lovely person and family man.

Liep

At least our women are kicking ass and have almost secured a place at the Euros by beating Poland 6-0
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Zanza

Quote from: The Larch on June 07, 2016, 01:20:13 PM
Ah, I read the "not wanting Boateng as a neighbour" story. Apparently after he said that some paper went to talk with Boateng's real neighbours (at some upscale residential complex in Munich) and they all said that he's a lovely person and family man.
A conservative parliamentarian in the state parliament of Brandenburg sported Boateng's shirt today. To his right is the nationalist who started the whole thing.

Duque de Bragança

Training sessions open to the public  for the Portuguese team cancelled at Robert Bobin stadium (capacity 19,000 ) near Paris, due to security reasons by French authorities. Replaced by an open training session at Marcoussis (base camp near Paris) for 1000 people only, locals and associations.

I am afraid this won't be the only event of this type cancelled due to the terrorist threat. It will probably be the rule for all teams :(

Duque de Bragança

Fun already started early in Marseille with incidents between drunken English hooligans and Marseille scum  as in '98. French media say "Marseillais" i.e Marseille people but that's not really convincing.

QuoteAnd so it starts: Drunken England fans chanting 'ISIS, where are you?' in violent clashes with Marseille locals and police firing tear gas as Euro 2016 build-up turns bloody
Thousands of supporters have landed in France ahead of Euro 2016 match
Roy Hodgson's side begin campaign against Russia in on Saturday night
But loyal supporters already enjoying hearty day's drinking in summer sun
Police on high alert after riots between England and Tunisia fans in 1998
By PETER ALLEN IN MARSEILLE FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 19:27 GMT, 9 June 2016 | UPDATED: 01:16 GMT, 10 June 2016

French police have reportedly had to use tear gas on English fans in Marseille after violent clashes broke out when supporters started singing: 'ISIS, where are you?'.
Riot police used tear gas and baton charges after fighting broke out beside two bars where hundreds of supporters had spent Thursday drinking in the French city's Old Port area.
Local French youths  are thought to have attacked England supporters who had massed outside the Queen Victoria pub, and O'Malley's, an Irish bar next door, before England's first group game of Euro 2016 against Russia on Saturday.
Marseille is a port city with a strong Islamic community.  It is believed Muslims make up a third of the population, but it not known if religious tensions caused the fight.

'They were baiting us, and then attacked,' said one fan from Leeds, who asked to be named solely as Simon.
'None of the England fans were doing anything wrong – a few of us had a bit much to drink, but that was all.
'Suddenly a French gang appeared and started attacking us, and throwing stuff. We had to defend ourselves, and then the police showed up.'

Groups of fans were then seen running in different directions, as restaurants and bars in the area quickly shut doors and pulled down shutters.
At least one England fan could be seen lying in a pool of blood, apparently having been knocked out.
Others spoke of their fear as they were targeted by youths brandishing makeshift weapons, and shouting 'Get the English'.
England football fans scuffle with police in Marseille

Here we go: Roy Hodgson's side begin their campaign against Russia in Marseille on Saturday evening. But their loyal support have already got their month-long tournament underway with a hearty day's drinking in the summer sun

Cheer: The party began early this morning as the first few planes from across the Channel touched down in the south of the country
Chris Lord, another England fan from London, said: 'This was a really nasty attack. The gang knew exactly where we were, and clearly wanted to hurt us.'
As well as riot police, undercover officers brandishing stun guns and telescopic truncheons picked off anybody behaving badly.
Police first responded to the violence at around 11.45pm, and by midnight ambulances were arriving.
It was all a grim replay of the violence in 1998 which happened before and after England's 1998 World Cup tie with Tunisia in Marseille.
Then, scores of people were hurt, more than 100 were arrested or deported and some England supporters were later jailed.
England fans in loud voice in Marseille ahead of Euro 2016

Into the spirit: It did not take the travelling party long to let their hair down at the coastal resort in southern France
By the early hours today, police had blocked off roads around the Old Port, using dogs and vans to stop traffic getting through.
Meanwhile, gangs of local thugs could be seen taunting England fans who were trying to get back to hotels.
British football fans are risking an unprecedented security threat in France this week – from hooliganism and terrorism.
It follows warnings from a range of security agencies, ranging from the U.S. State Department to French police that Islamic State terrorists are planning to strike.

Marseille commander Laurent Nunez said the Three Lions 'opening match against Russia on Saturday was also 'a particularly high risk' as fire as football-related violence was concerned.
France remains under a State of Emergency following last November's attack, with thousands of soldiers joining police on the streets.
On Sunday, French President Francois Hollande said that the threat of trouble would not stop the European Championships from being successful.

Mr Hollande said a 90,000-strong security force, including soldiers, would ensure the matches being played in 10 cities will be safe.
The England team are due to arrive in Marseille on Friday, and will stay in a city hotel before Saturday's game.
Some 70,000 England fans – many without tickets – are expected to be in the city over the weekend.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3633958/England-fans-truly-arrived-France-Bare-chested-supporters-hit-beers-Marseille-ahead-opening-game-Russia.html

I wonder if there will be a truce between Russian and English hooligans to deal with the lovely people of North Marseille.  :hmm:

Josephus

I look forward to watching England go out in the Q/Fs to Germany in penalites.

And yes, I'm an England fan. :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 10, 2016, 02:19:01 AM
Fun already started early in Marseille with incidents between drunken English hooligans and Marseille scum  as in '98. French media say "Marseillais" i.e Marseille people but that's not really convincing.

Man it will be nice this afternoon when we actually have some matches to discuss in this trainwreck.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2016, 08:01:24 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 10, 2016, 02:19:01 AM

Man it will be nice this afternoon when we actually have some matches to discuss in this trainwreck.

A trainwreck would be dramatic. Hence, somewhat entertaining. Actually, I expect a boring opener with a French victory over a defending Romanian side.
Only one game today at 21 CET/19 UT.

Valmy

I was just saying all the news I am getting so far is the endless labor strikes involving this tournament. And now Marseilles hooligan fighting. I want to hear about glorious French victories outside of labor negotiations and street brawls.